Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel was clean, breakfast was sufficient. Upon check-in, I mentioned that we were meeting another family for the weekend. They offered to put us in adjoining rooms, above the pool. My kids enjoyed watching the pool activity.
The surrounding area was nice, could quickly get to Target or many shopping and dining options. All 7 of us in the 2 families enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I frequently stay at this hotel for business. Overall it is clean, the pool and hot tub are nice, and every room I have stayed in appears to have been recently remodeled. What stands out though, are the staff. Everyone on the staff is helpful, but Cynthia and Dan in particular have made my stays comfortable and always make me feel welcome. I have gone to each of them at different times with specific requests and they consistently go above and beyond to help me solve whatever my need is (including finding a cupcake bakery in the area, locating jewelry that I left behind, and finding food in the middle of the night). I have been tempted to stay at other IHG properties in the area to capitalize on rewards club incentives, but because of the excellent service of these two employees, I have scheduled three more stays at this location before the end of the year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Spend three nights here while visiting our daughter and her family who live near Lawrence. My husband travels extensively and had quite a few Priority Club points in his account. We were searching closer to Lawrence for hotels in this family. They were either not available for all three nights, or were charging the standard 20,000 to 25,000 points PER NIGHT per room. For some reason this hotel was only charging 5,000 points per night. I was a little skeptical but we took a chance and booked here because we planned on doing several activities with the grandkids in this area anyway. We were happy we did!

The hotel is newer and very clean. The room was comfortable and the pool and hot tub area were nicer than what we've seen at other HI Express hotels. The breakfast buffet was the standard fare served by the chain, but was always fresh and continually being restocked.

The location was good, at the intersection if I-35 and 119th, just across the interstate from Bass Pro Shops and about a thirty minute drive from the airport.

We checked in very late on Friday evening and when we went to our room discovered it didn't have a refrigerator, just a microwave. I called the front desk and she told me they had one other room available, a jucuzzi suite, but she didn't know if it had a refrigerator either. She told me she would go check and would knock on our door to let us know if we could move. A few minutes later she came by to tell us that the room was right next door and did indeed have a frig, and she brought us the new keys. She did share that they are buying refrigerators for all the rooms, but at the rate of only four per month so it is taking a while. Honestly, I would rather have a frig than a microwave, and the ones they are buying are the small ones that fit under the TV so aren't very expensive. Seems like a basic room fixture to me. In any case, if a frig is important to your stay you should check this out more before booking.

I do think it's important to know that from the nice front desk clerk who took care of us when we checked in and found us another room, to the housekeeping staff in the halls, to the breakfast staff who diligently tried to take care of a constant flow of diners (many of them very hungry teenagers who were in town for a soccer tournament), everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. It was obvious that management cares deeply about taking care of their guests and that focus carries over to all of the staff. It was a refreshing change of pace to get that personal touch from a chain hotel.

Room Tip: The west side faces the interstate. The east side faces a parking lot and strip mall and across the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I was greeted by friendly staff, the lobby was very well kept with new furniture. My room was very clean and spacious. Front desk attendant was very helpful in suggesting a place for dinner. All in all a pleasant stay, would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had a business meeting here and rooms for two nights. The meeting rooms were clean as were the guest rooms. Staff is accommodating. Our check in began a little rough, but was straightened out. Every request we made was cheerfully completed. Food and service was very good. We'll come back.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and motels across this great country of ours. This hotel definitely had the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept on in a hotel. Even the first night there, I slept soundly, whereas usually the first night in a strange hotel room on a strange bed, I have a great bit of trouble even sleeping. Will definitely stay there again when I go to visit my brother!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Yeah, it is hot in Olathe in August. Especially if you get room 316 at this hotel. We checked in late and it was hot. My husband turned up the a/c and we figured it would cool off when we came back from dinner. It was hot around 9:30 when we returned. He called down the first evening and asked if they had a fan. Nope. It was 88 degrees Fahrenheit in our room when we decided to go to bed after our showers. It was late, we had already unpacked and after a long road trip, we weren't in the mood to call back down to insist on a room change. I poured water on my head (after the shower) and wetted a towel and put it around my neck. My husband was closest to the a/c unit and it was on, not frozen, just no fan action. I was awake the entire night. The entire night. He left for his business mtg around 7:15 am. I didn't have a car and my key card didn't work. I didn't call the desk for fear of being a pain. I finally fell asleep after a second shower and shear exhaustion. That is except for the 3 times the maid service tried breaking into the room to clean it-what part of bolting the door so you can't get in was the issue?-there was no "do not disturb sign" in our room to use-I looked. Do I sound cranky? Yeah. When my husband returned, he realized it was still quite warm or saw the expression on my face and called to the front desk to let them know the room was still hot. The maintenance guy came in. He was pleasant and said it was an older a/c unit, nothing wrong w/it. Oh ok, it's just normally almost 90 degrees in that room. He said he'd be back in a minute. Guess what? He found a fan! But they didn't have a fan the night before you say? That thought crossed my mind too. It was just a small fan, nothing exciting. But I did receive a call before he arrived with it from the front desk asking for our phone # and that he was coming back w/a fan for our use (no switch to a diff room, no apology). Apparently in case we stole the tiny little fan they would call us instead of just charging our credit card? We went to dinner hoping it would cool off. Ha, not really. We chalked it up to just not our luck, temp was at 86 now. My husband asked if we could have a late check out as he had a mtg and I had nowhere to go and no car for several hours (Stephanie at the front desk said it would be no problem, was a sweet girl actually). Check out is at noon normally. My husband arrived from his business meeting at 1:15 and as I was in the bathroom freshening up right before we left to go on our long trip home, the manager comes to our room to see if we are going to be leaving soon or staying the night. Seriously???? Do not worry. We will NEVER be staying the night there again. And we didn't steal the fan that you didn't originally have when we first asked. We feel so sorry for anyone who has to stay in room 316. Upgrade the a/c in rooms that need it or don't make them available w/out a fan to start with. The room décor was nice and the breakfast looked great-too hot/sick to want to eat. Having a workout room available 24/7 is wonderful. But if you have no sleep for almost 48 hours, those things do not matter. Not a fan of leaving this kind of review. But just moving us to a different room-wasn't full would have done the trick and netted a great review re: customer service.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with UPGRADED A/C. MAKE SURE!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear farmerbrownsdaughter,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to know from our guests on how we are doing. I apologize if this visit was a disappointment due to the condition of the room you were given and level of service received not being up to par. Your comments are noted and will be forwarded to our team to consider for enhancements needed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again to show you our improvements.

Pam G