“Nice Place Great Staff”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
DG
“Nice Place Great Staff”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

WOW what service from a great and friendly staff. There wasn't one person that didn't ask if I was okay or if I needed assistance. What was unusual is every staff members made eye contacted said good morning or what was appropriate for the particular time of day. As a frequent traveler it seems as some hotel staff members are afraid of their guest and wish they could run and hide. Not hear! It was "is there anything I could do for you sir", type service. I happened to stay on the Concierge level which was great. The lady in the suite was like my Mom waiting on me and asking if everything was okay or if she could get me anything else. I really had a great experience. The only disappointment was the bed. It was very soft and provided no support and the pillows were just as bad. However, the room was in good shape and clean. I liked the fact the desk area provided plenty of outlets and was next to the TV.

1 Thank Anthony D
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our team and their sincere interest in hosting guests. I have good news about our beds! All King mattresses were replaced this year and double mattresses will be replaced by February 1, 2014! We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have not been in Kansas yet but my Impression of the place is very different from the books and papers that I read before. We have a business meeting that we did with our clients.
I arrived at the hotel and Jacky was the person who helped me she was very cheerful and a smiley person very outstanding host for your hotel.She mentioned all the amenities of the Hotel
and good places to go.My colleages and I enjoyed the Steak place J.Gilberts it is not that far from the hotel.
the bed is outstanding I slept like a baby.
All the employees are very helpful and friendly.
the helpstaff , housekeeping as well.
Bar area was very lively at night. They do have a Sushi/Habachi place called Nikkos very busy and great entertainment as well.It was referred to by a half japanese Andrew at the front desk
it was very awesome experience as well.
when we were about to check out the following day I did not expect the lobby to be so busy in the morning. I figured to grab something at there giftshop.
I was surprised the moment I reached the counter Andrew remembered my name.
He apologized about how busy and long the lines was and he thanked me for being so understanding with a bow the moment he handed me my reciept. and he offered to comp the water as well which was a huge plus for costumer service, I never expected that at all. I was so surprised about this Hotel that I cannot wait to referr it to my friends and family back here in Japan.

K.Murata
Tokyo JP.

Room Tip: be sure to rent a car. Taxi was expensive from the airport to the hotel $138 one way. not a good pr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our service team and recognizing them by name. I will share your post with the team. It means a lot to be recognized by our guests. All the best.
Decatur, Indiana
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Entry is grand and spacious opening on a casual restaurant, and bar and business center and lobby - yes easy to see many options. Starbucks off lobby if you are up for coffee. Rooms are extremely nice,comfortable and quiet. Many places to eat within a 3 mile radius

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for letting us host you!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed one night on business at the Overland Park Marriott. As Marriott's go, this one is pretty standard. What really impressed me was the friendly and attentive service by every member of staff I encountered, from my reception at the front desk, to housecleaning, to the servers in the restaurant. I really felt like a welcomed guest and would definitely return to this hotel on a future visit to Kansas City.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your post! I will share your kind compliments with our team. It means a lot to them when people recognize their “Spirit to Serve”! We look forward to your return visit.
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a 2nd time and continue to have great stays. Friendly staff, very helpful. Clean hotel that is big but doesn't feel crowded. Rooms well appointed and fresh. Plenty of room to hang out in the lobby with friends between games. Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel's cleanliness and service levels! We appreciate and value your perspective and thank you for sharing with others.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Terriffic reception and service. We stayed on the concierge floor and the service level exceeded hotel that are much more expensive. Room as as good as I expect from a Marriot and even though we faced the Interstate there was no traffic noise. Also fresh baked cookies everywhere in the hotel made you feel right at home.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our service. We look forward to hosting you again.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Being familiar with this property and its staff for the last 5 years, I must share my observations concerning its disappointing trends with front desk service.

I could not have imagined a hotel employing front desk attendants with seemingly no ability to attend to check-in services and other duties thought to be inherent to such a position. Indeed, this property handled such responsibilities just like any other functional hotel for some time; that is until the last 2 years roughly. At that point it was clear staffing and management changes suddenly caused front desk staff members to be utterly inept at their basic responsibilities, namely identifying room assignments available upon check-in after the designated 3 p.m. arrival time.

As someone with hotel employment experience, I have gleaned that current staffers simply have not been trained or are not expected to utilize this property's 400-room inventory to adjust room assignments for guests on the fly, instead cursing other hotel departments as though any given room should be clean and available for check-in simply because the room assignment had been designated overnight or earlier in the day, well in advance of current guest checkout realities and without regard for which rooms had or had not been serviced by housekeeping.

I'm not sure which segment of the staff ought to be replaced with robots (nor should that be the optimal solution), but both the front desk staff and the negligent management team are battling for that sad distinction. A robot may not cater to my admittedly self-centered request for a room upgrade, but at least a robot could reliably identify room options. Not to mention, reply to such posts with predictably phrased hotel management comments.

Room Tip: Immediately request the front desk manager to process your check-in.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Sir, thank you for providing your candid feedback. Meeting all guest room requests and preferences can be a challenge in a busy hotel. We have a process in place to be as accommodating as possible, but when we are unable to deliver upon a request, it is imperative that our team listens and is empathetic with the guest, providing as many options as possible. Clearly, based on your feedback we have failed to do so and it has caused a great deal of frustration and for that I hope you will accept my sincere apology. I have shared your comments with Calin, Sr. Rooms Manager and Chad M, Director of Hotel Operations. We would appreciate the opportunity to visit with you to understand more clearly your experience. Feel free to reach out to us directly.