“Disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Franklin, Tennessee
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As a Lifetime Platinum member, and one who spends 120-140 nights a year at Marriott properties, I was disappointed to be on the 9th floor in a small room which I could not get cool. In addition, the ice maker was not working and I had to go to another floor to get ice. I did have access to the concierge lounge, to find a relatively good selection of snacks in the evening. Breakfast was the usual, with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, breads, and other offerings. All in all, the lounge was good. The front desk employees were not especially friendly on check in, or check out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Sir, thank you for providing detailed feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apology for not meeting basic expectations around everything in working order and friendly service. I will personally share your concerns with the front office leadership and follow up to ensure the ice maker is back in service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

While the location is ideal and the hotel is clean, the set up of the property is horrible. This hotel is not up to par with the usual Marriott standard. The "free parking" deal is laughable since the parking lot provides no easy access to the building and is not secure. Additionally, there is no one to help with anything (bags, directions, recommendations, etc). So if you have more bags than you are able to carry, you will just have to make several trips and hope the weather cooperates. - because no one is around and wheeling a luggage rack to the "free parking lot" or pulling up your car aren't the best options. I've stayed for business twice and each time have gotten soaking wet walking to my car because it was pouring rain and the "free parking" (which is the only parking) was a mile from any door. I prefer not to show up to business meetings looking like a drown rat.

• Stayed April 2014
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apology for the configuration of our parking lot in combination with the inclement weather making a poor impression on you about our hotel. Please know that our front office team stands ready to assist you with luggage handling, questions etc. should you return to our hotel.
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Property was very nice. Over run by sports teams when we arrived. They managed to find us a quiet room anyway. Breakfast buffet was wonderful. Friendly staff. Breakfast special was great value. You do have to pay for wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thanks for being our guest and recognizing our staff and the quality of our breakfast buffet...it is very good with a great variety. Next time you visit please know that wi-fi is complimentary in the lobby!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel was great but I would like to focus this review on the staff.

We were on a road trip across country... Milwaukee to L.A. The Marriott Overland Park Kansas was our first over night stop.

The next afternoon, just outside of Amarillo, I received a phone call from Marriott. Some how while packing my bag I left my iPad on the desk in our room. I was speechless and absolutely floored by the honesty of the housekeeping staff who turned it in. The front desk called me, obviously I was too far away to drive back to get it so they sent it to my home. It arrived in perfect condition via FedEx.

Even if this hotel was mediocre ( which it is NOT ), I would return. This week long drive could have started on the wrong foot. The honesty and customer service from this hotel helped to make it a great trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JCKEW54
Thank you for staying with us on your cross-country trip and recognizing our housekeeping host. We have a wonderful team and it our pleasure to be of service to you. Your trip sounds awesome...I hope you had a great time!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

A while ago the lobby and bar have been redone and since then this is my favorite hotel in the Kansas overland park area. Good atmosphere in the bar area, nice craft beer selection and one of the best BBQ ribs around. Ans as usual in a marriott hotel great bed and pillows. Friendly service. The inhouse starbucks ia an added perk.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for your post. We recently replaced all of our mattresses so I am happy to learn you had a restful stay! Thanks for recognizing our ribs...they really are great!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I haven't stayed in a Marriott for a while since I mostly stay in SPG or Hhonors affiliated hotels but I had a free awards night and used it in conjunction with a trip to Overland Park for my child's sporting event. I was very impressed with the Marriott in Overland Park. The hotel customer services people were great and got us checked in quickly.

Our room was on a high floor and was very comfortable double bed with a desk. I'm not a fan of down pillows but the beds were the best I've slept in away from home. The lobby and "great room" was very lively and the Starbucks just off the lobby was a welcome sight.

+1 to this Marriott

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for recognizing our service team, they truly make this hotel special! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the M I Greatroom, our menu features many housemade and local items...and yes the ribs are great!
Saint Louis, MO
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed Friday and Saturday for my 11 year old son's soccer tournament. Check in was a breeze and the girl at the front desk was so professional and friendly. The were cookies out to welcome us. The room was just the right size for a family of four. It was clean and the decor very pleasing. There is a charge for wi fi inside the room. This non complimentary service was greatly missed. Shotty wi fi was available free in the lobby. The breakfast only consisted of runny scrambled eggs with toppings, fruit, oatmeal, biscuits, and small muffins. There should be protein offered as most of the hotel consisted of boys participating in a soccer tournament. My 11 year old chose to only eat a few oranges and we had to supplement with outside food. My 15 year old daughter loved having a Starbucks in the lobby. This was a close location to the tournament. We also drove to the large mall between games.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for staying with us during your soccer tournament in Overland Park. Many guest love our Full service Starbucks, it helps get the morning started right! Please accept my apology that the tournament arranged complimentary breakfast did not meet your expectations. We look forward to hosting you again.