“Consistently nice”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Consistently nice”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed at this property a few times when in the area. I stayed recently when in KC for a family event. The hotel had warned me by email that there would be teams staying for sporting events and that the public areas might be crowded. I really did not run into a problem with this. I used the mobile check-in on my smartphone. There were a couple of people ahead of me when I stopped to get my key cards in the lobby. I wasn't sure if that line was just for people that used mobile check-in or not. Also, used the mobile check-out when we left, which saved us a little time. There is a Starbuck's on the property and plenty of parking. The beds in this hotel are extremely comfortable. Some of the amenities usually available for gold members were not available on the weekend, so I was offered points instead. All in all, a positive experience and I will return here when in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for being our guest last weekend! We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and am glad that you are using the mobile app. Thanks for recognizing the comfort of our beds...they are all brand new! All the best for a wonderful summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Chose this Marriott to stay overnight during a church trip. As a Marriott the room was fine, although it was apparent the rooms had not been updated in some time. The room given was on a floor that was extremely noisy and had to request security come to quiet things down. Also, the TV went out for approximately 45 minutes to an hour before maintenance was able to discover and fix the problem -- it was apparently not just my room that had this happen.

Considering the hotel responded to the noise concern very quickly that was appreciated. The TV problem appeared to be handled as quickly as they could as well. Overall, a pleasant hotel to choose as long as there is not a baseball or soccer tournament in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor that does not have a block of rooms for sports tournaments with children.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for providing us feedback on your stay. Please accept my sincere apology that your stay was not flawless. I know how important it is that everything works in the room and even though our TV provider fixed the issue within 45 minutes, you were none-the-less inconvenienced. Furthermore, I am pleased that our team addressed the noise issue, but regret you were disturbed. Our guest rooms were remodeled five years ago, and just last year we installed brand new mattresses in all of our guest rooms. We look forward to hosting you again and look forward to regaining your confidence.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We went here for a couples weekend. Upon arrival they had cookies set up for guests. I've not seen that before at a Marriott. They were good cookies too. I had easy check in. As someone else mentioned the set up of the hotel is odd. The parking is on the side of the hotel.Which means you have to walk through a lounge,a starbucks or you could be dropped at the front door. I didn't see an obvious bell hop or person available to help with your bags. The parking is free which is great. The pool is also set up next to the restaurants. It is not seen from the outside which is nice. They have signs to go up the stairs so you don't get seen by the general hotel patrons. You do that then go down a hall past some conference rooms to get to the elevator. Not sure how a handicapped person or any person that can't climb stairs would manage that. I'm guessing they would just have to grin and bear it in front of the sushi bar. The pool was quite large. The hot tub was nice. I would like the pool a little warmer though. I did see an employee cleaning the pool and checking the grounds. The room was average sized. They had a cooler rather than a refrigerator not sure what that's about. The good news is this is right off the highway. Easy to find. It is within driving distance to about 100 restaurants. There is an Applebee's within walking distance. They have a nice lounge restaurant. We had dinner there one night. The key lime pie was delicious. The ribs were good and the portion size was huge. I had the breakfast buffet. We are gold members and upgraded for $4. It would be nice if there was no charge for elite members. The staff was fantastic. They even remembered what we had to drink the next day. Orange Juice and Water. They were so welcoming and working together so well. One would clean, the next would bring a refill, the next would ask if we needed anything else. I felt like I was waited on by 3 people instead of one. The price was a good value too. Sometimes Marriotts can be too pricey. This one was just over a hundred a night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for providing us with excellent feedback about your experience at our hotel, it is very helpful! I hope we can host you again the next time you are in town.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We are so grateful to Marriott for a quiet, one night stay. We were in town for a friend's wedding and got advanced warning via email from the hotel that there were a lot of families in town for a tournament. They said the kids were there to compete, but that there would be increased activity in the hotel and they would understand if we wanted to stay somewhere else.
Because the wedding was so close to the hotel and we figured at that late date it might be tough to get a room somewhere that wasn't full of kids, we decided to go ahead and stay. We did make a couple of requests to help make everything go smoothly. We asked to be given a room away from the elevators and the action, and we asked if we could check in early so we would have time to get ready for the wedding after several hours of travel. The hotel kindly granted both of our requests with no hesitation. They treated us with respect and importance. We were able to check in with plenty of time to get ready and we had a quiet stay (on a concierge floor, no less). We even took advantage of the lobby bar to have an extended evening with an old friend. It really couldn't have gone better. Marriott definitely knows how to treat its members.

Room Tip: It seems like this (and other hotels in the area) get a lot of kid traffic with families in town for...
Green Features: They offer 500 rewards points if you opt out of fresh towels. Had we stayed a second night, we would have definitely taken advantage of that simple gesture.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for being our guest and for the nice compliments! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We do our best to accomodate all of our guests and their varied trip purposes. It means a lot that you recognize our efforts. All the best!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The lobby and location of this Marriot are great.
The double beds are a real downside for my family; we were traveling with two adults and 4 kids. We booked two rooms. Everyone sharing a bed got no sleep. Next time I will stay at a competitor hotel with queen beds.
Also, the biggest bummer was both nights the fan and AC in one of our rooms shut off at midnight. We awoke about an hour later baking under the heavy down comforter.
There was also a bad mildew smell in the corner of our room.
On the night we arrived I took two of the kids down to the pool at 10 pm to swim; there was either ketchup or blood all over the pool deck. The chairs were covered with dirty towels and there was empty food containers around. There were a lot of sports teams at the hotel so I'm sure it would be easy to predict that the pool would need frequent cleaning. We were there for about 45 minutes and never saw a staff member. My boys just stuck to the hot tub to avoid the red stuff smeared around the pool.
In sum, the hotel was ok but not exceptional by any means. The Starbucks is handy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GoHuskers2014
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Please accept my sincere apology for the poor experience you had at our hotel. When a guest checks into a Marriott they expect and deserve quality and a flawless stay. During your stay we failed to deliver these basics. I have shared your feedback with my leaders for follow up. If you would like to discuss in more derail do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed 27 April 2014

There was about 1 hour between when the family and kids convention left and when the high school sports teams arrived, that it was very peaceful and enjoyable in the lobby. At other times, I considered moving to another hotel.
The room was very nice and very clean. The location is terrific.

Room Tip: Since I was not given a choice of rooms, I have no idea what types of rooms are preferable.
Green Features: There is a program to earn more Marriott points if you skip maid service. I guess this saves on water and towels.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for being our guest this past weekend and providing feedback.
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As a Lifetime Platinum member, and one who spends 120-140 nights a year at Marriott properties, I was disappointed to be on the 9th floor in a small room which I could not get cool. In addition, the ice maker was not working and I had to go to another floor to get ice. I did have access to the concierge lounge, to find a relatively good selection of snacks in the evening. Breakfast was the usual, with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, breads, and other offerings. All in all, the lounge was good. The front desk employees were not especially friendly on check in, or check out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Sir, thank you for providing detailed feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apology for not meeting basic expectations around everything in working order and friendly service. I will personally share your concerns with the front office leadership and follow up to ensure the ice maker is back in service.