“Nothing Special.....”

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Seattle, Washington
“Nothing Special.....”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip as the meeting I was attending was at this property. When I saw the overall good reviews I was encouraged, and accordingly was looking forward to my stay.

Let me state up front that I agree with other reviewers that the people / staff were more than friendly.

That said, I should have paid more attention to the hotel ranking relative to the other properties in the area. I would say the 22 of 39 ranking the property has at the time I am writing this review is dead on.

Contrary to appearances, this is NOT a brand new property. It is not old, but it is showing signs of wear and tear (my guess is that it is relatively new, so the owners don't yet want to invest the dollars required for a bit of a refresh). I saw all sort of signs of wear - elevator call button light was out on the first floor, there were a couple missing tiles missing behind the toilet in my bathroom, things of that nature. The sort of things that are of the most innocuous nature, and don't really affect the quality of your stay, except...

I obviously cannot speak for what others will pay at other times, but for my stay my room was over USD $150/night with tax for a regular two queen room with no special amenities. For that kind of money..especially considering this hotel is not located in downtown Chicago or someplace similar....I am expecting a four star property, and if you are going to be lacking in amenities (that would be the nothing special part), then what you do provide had better be perfect....and it was not.

Probably the most relevant detail would be the bed(s). The quality of the mattress was average at best - not at ALL what I would expect at this price point. Let me fully disclose that I am a big guy..former football player, north of 250 lbs (though south of 300...lol). Still, at this price point I expect a quality mattress and a good night's sleep...something I did not receive. Between the mattress and the bright outdoor property illumination light shining through my window (because the property cut corners on the size of the "black out drapes" so there was no way to fully block the window off) I got relatively little rest. Sometimes this is the nature of the beast when traveling for business....when you are paying $50 - $75/night for a room. NOT when paying $150+.

All in all quite the disappointment. No, the there nothing "wrong" with the property...everything worked fine, and I will again say that the staff was friendly. But at this price point I expect better than "adequate"...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GoGoBear
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear GoGoBear,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to note that you found our staff to be friendly.

However, let me take this opportunity to apologize if you were not satisfied with the amenities as well as with the overall aesthetics of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that we didn't quite live up to your expectations considering the room rate that you have paid. Our goal is to ensure that we provide a comfortable and rewarding stay and I am truly sorry for we have failed to deliver this to you.

Your feedback is very important as this is our primary source in improving guest services. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into. We hope that you give us another chance to show you what we have done.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Iowa
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have stayed here when on business for the past six years.NEVER had a negative experience. Staff is SUPER! Staff is always very friendly and courteous. Breakfast buffet is always good and reasonably priced. In the Winter the underground garage means I don't have to walk in snow or scrape ice off windshield. John the bartender is great guy.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Cy2015
St. Louis
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed here with our soccer team for a tournament. Hotel was clean and a great location to everything around Overland Park. The bar was nice for a drink or two before bed. Pool was open after a renovation but very small for the hotel size. Rooms were clean and had nice amenities. However, customer service was terrible as they struggled to handle the weekend crowd. As we arrived Friday, we signed a waiver saying we would keep the kids from running the halls and observe quiet time after 9pm. I get it, no problem as we had early games the following two days. As we got back Friday night around 10pm, there was "happy hour" on our floor with the room across from us having an open room free for all. I contacted the front desk and they said they would have someone handle the noise complaint. Two hours later and four phone calls back (the last two being hung up on), the issue finally got resolved by the hotel. Calls back to ask what was going on lead to the phone ringing 20 or 30X as they tried to ignore our complaint. Once I got thru, I informed the front desk to either tell them to go in their room or leave the hotel as the Police would be called. This approach by them finally worked but poorly trained staff lead to this poor situation as no one on the floor could sleep thru the party in the hallway. We are asked to control the kids but they cant even handle the adults who are creating a noise issue for everyone. The breakfast was only continental so limited options. They assured us they could open Breakfast at 6am Sunday. No one was there at 6:10am so we inquired at the front desk and the agent said "What do you want me to do about it"? Enough said, do what you say you are going to do. Will never come back here again as it looks like Overland Park offers many other options that care about it guests.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank blues03
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Dear bhandy03,

However, We’re sorry you received poor customer service and the noise during your stay. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stayed there this past weekend with my 12-year old daughter for a soccer tournament. The hotel was nice and clean, the staff was friendly, and the rooms were relatively quiet as hotel rooms go. The beds were comfortable, and the TV was an LG high def with a variety of channels. I did not like the parking situation. The parking in front was fine, but if it filled up (which it will on a weekend), you had to park in back. The parking spaces in back were vary narrow, with little room to maneuver because they were so close to the building. Several people took two spots to park one car, further limiting the number of parking spots. No other parking was available. It's unfortunate, but I lowered my rating to 3 stars because of this.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank STLFamily_Guy52
hisuites, Manager at Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate all the feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve your experience and improve our property! We sincerly apologize for the inconvenience experienced because of the parking situation. In addition to the parking available in the front and rear of the hotel we also do have an underground parking garage available that is complimentary for guests. We will definitely have a training session with the front desk to make sure we are letting all guests know at check in about all of the available parking options. Again thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again! :)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Nice comfy beds, stayed there during the week and they give you two free drink tickets for the bar- Score Very convent location- right off interstate. Staff was friendly and it was quiet. Would recommend it for a nice comfy reasonably priced stay

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cammy t
Cincinnati
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Definitely your typical Hoilday Inn, but my room was clean and did had some updates. Best thing was that the room was equipped with a microwave and mini-fridge. One thing I would improve on our the linens. They are generally comfortable, but the I find the pillows to be uncomfortable a little too big for my preference. Otherwise, a good, comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank vlagroupie
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I can understand a hotel having rules and policies that may sometimes seem appropriate when in fact, they are an unnecessary burden on the customer. But if you such policiies, you should be able to explain them or at the least, provide additional options for your guests. After a very difficult day I went back to my room and changed into my workout clothes i had just purchased. (I had forgot to pack them) I really was looking forward to going to the gym to decompress. This is a daily habit and i cannot sleep well unless i have been able to clear my mind by doing a little exercise. When i got to the workout facility, my card would not work and then i noticed a sign that said the gym closed at 11:00 pm. I thought this was strange as most or the 130 different hotels i stay in each year do not close their gym. I went to the counter to inquire why the gym was closed and Kelly told me rudely, it was "policy"..... Really?? Policy? that is the best you can offer me? Hotels that understand how to treat a guest would never tell them no and even when they had to say no, they would never just them it was Policy. So i walked up and down the hall for an hour to get my exercise while Kelly and Joey sat there doing nothing but talking. The more i walked the madder i got, so i called the Sheraton next door and asked about their gym. I was told it was open 24 hours. I went to the counter to tell them i would be checking out two days early and would be going to the Sheraton because of the poor experience i had with Joey and Kelly. There was no effort by either of them to keep me as their guest for two more nights. Obviously, my business wasn't very important to them. Sad.... If you are a frequent traveler that likes good customer service. This is not your hotel... They dont look at you as a guest to be made to feel at home. They are just a room to rent and nothing more...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear keithhudgins,