Stayed here on a recent business trip as the meeting I was attending was at this property. When I saw the overall good reviews I was encouraged, and accordingly was looking forward to my stay.
Let me state up front that I agree with other reviewers that the people / staff were more than friendly.
That said, I should have paid more attention to the hotel ranking relative to the other properties in the area. I would say the 22 of 39 ranking the property has at the time I am writing this review is dead on.
Contrary to appearances, this is NOT a brand new property. It is not old, but it is showing signs of wear and tear (my guess is that it is relatively new, so the owners don't yet want to invest the dollars required for a bit of a refresh). I saw all sort of signs of wear - elevator call button light was out on the first floor, there were a couple missing tiles missing behind the toilet in my bathroom, things of that nature. The sort of things that are of the most innocuous nature, and don't really affect the quality of your stay, except...
I obviously cannot speak for what others will pay at other times, but for my stay my room was over USD $150/night with tax for a regular two queen room with no special amenities. For that kind of money..especially considering this hotel is not located in downtown Chicago or someplace similar....I am expecting a four star property, and if you are going to be lacking in amenities (that would be the nothing special part), then what you do provide had better be perfect....and it was not.
Probably the most relevant detail would be the bed(s). The quality of the mattress was average at best - not at ALL what I would expect at this price point. Let me fully disclose that I am a big guy..former football player, north of 250 lbs (though south of 300...lol). Still, at this price point I expect a quality mattress and a good night's sleep...something I did not receive. Between the mattress and the bright outdoor property illumination light shining through my window (because the property cut corners on the size of the "black out drapes" so there was no way to fully block the window off) I got relatively little rest. Sometimes this is the nature of the beast when traveling for business....when you are paying $50 - $75/night for a room. NOT when paying $150+.
All in all quite the disappointment. No, the there nothing "wrong" with the property...everything worked fine, and I will again say that the staff was friendly. But at this price point I expect better than "adequate"...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park, KS Convention Center is within walking distance of the Overland Park, KS Convention Center. The Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park is conveniently located near Sprint World Headquarters, Embarq Headquarters, State Line and Ward Parkway, Corporate Woods, South Creek Office Park, KC Chiefs & Royals, Mid-America Rehabilitation, Black & Veatch, Verizon, YRCW, KCP & L District, The Sprint Center & KS Speedway. The Holiday Inn Overland Park Kansas Hotel features complimentary high-speed and wireless Internet access available in all guest rooms and meeting rooms. Large shopping center and numerous dining options at Town Center Plaza...less than one mile away! The Holiday Inn Hotel, Overland Park Kansas features a new restaurant, The Cafe, that serves casual American fare for breakfast and dinner. Join us at our new lobby bar, The Avenue. Guest appreciation nights, Monday through Thursday, includes a complimentary cocktail and appetizer specials. For a quick snack stop by our Suite Shop. All rooms feature king or two queen beds, over-sized desk, and comfortable chair. All suites feature a mini-refrigerator and microwave, cordless phone and full-sized sofa sleeper. Jacuzzi suites also available. Complimentary underground parking garage access. Complete meeting and banquet/catering service available for any event. Please contact the property directly for details. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Priceline, IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr Hotel Overland Park
- Overland Park Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr Kansas