“ABSOLUTELY the BEST (of eleven hotels I've stayed in since 5/10!)”

Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The BEST thing about this place is the ready availability of sheltered parking directly beneath the structure! If anyone's familiar with Kansas, the State experiences weather extremes nearly all year. From the 90's-100's with high humdity to well-below-freezing with ice and snow in the winter. Having protected, ~temperature stable protection for ones vehicle puts this fine establishment squarely in the, "elite" category for me. AND, "double-elite" for summer stays in my BLACK car!
Other: the staff's friendly and the rooms are comfortable as THE UPHOLSTERY's not worn out (getting to be an unusual trait!). Beds are very comfortable as well! Now - if they could just attach lanai's to the upper floors ala nearby Marriott Courtyard... Other nice touches: decent and accessible guest laundry and every weeknight there was a Manager's Reception with a free drink for anyone attending ("gratuity not included'). I never attended the latter, being an anti-social type, so can't comment on the Lobby Bar.
BAD-but-if-one-has-to-gripe-about-anything: TINY television and outrageous pricing on amenities from store on the premises. AND, no free breakfast (also getting to be typical!)
In what's getting to be a regular occurrence, I tried to extend my Priceline reservation and was denied unless I was willing to pay the standard rates at nearly double my bid price. Oh well!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 October 2010

We were a bit worried when we read the reviews of this hotel after booking with hot
wire.But we were pleased when we arrived.The lobby and the rooms were very nice.Plush beds and 42 in.flat screen tv.The staff was pleasant and vey accomidating.We did not eat at the restuarant,and therefore can not comment on that.Location was good for us,a short trip to Kansas speedway and Legends shopping mall.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

After reading many mixed reviews, I was nervous to stay here, but it is what Priceline gave me after I made a bid. I must say it was a wonderful surprise and I would definitely stay here again! The staff was welcoming and helpful. I had requested 2 beds, but was given a king room instead. When I addressed this, the staff quickly had a rollaway sent to our room at no extra charge (although there is normally a fee). Warm chocolate chip cookies welcomed us in our room. Rooms were clean, modern, and spacious. Location was perfect. Do not let negative reviews dissuade you as this hotel is worth the stop.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I'm still looking for a good Holiday Inn around Mission Kansas. This one has the potental but needs work. I work on the road 100 % of the time so I go to a lot of hotels. I have a couple reasons why I'll not stay here again. 1. When I check in I am usually given at least one coupon for a free / discounted breakfast and/or beverage. NOTHING! When I asked I was told I did not spend enough for the room! (I was booked for eleven nights)
2 The shower in the room was just terrible. The shower curtain was too tall for the spot that they mounted the shower rod so you found yourself standing on the curtain half the time.In addition,the bar that the movable shower head was mounted to was so loose I was afraid that it was going to fall off. Also the hot water ran out twice during my stay. Other than that they need to update the TV's and fix the cable signal.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank THETRUTH1952
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I thought this place was quite clean, friendly, and modern. I was quite happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2007

When we called to make the reservations, correct information was not given to us by any of the hotel staff. This did not make my experience ideal at check-in after a four hour drive. On top of everything, this was a birthday present from my mom and the staff was not helpful or gracious whatsoever. Once I got to my room, instead of having a king size bed like I paid for, I had two double beds. I was told by the same members of staff that I could only get that room by paying more, which was never told to me at any point, especially while making reservations. Dirty glasses in my room did not surprise me, to say the least. I highly do not recommend.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 6 September 2005

I don't wish to knock this establishment unduly, the staff were generally helpful and friendly, doing their jobs well, apart from a couple of days when room service took away my soiled towels and did not not leave new ones. I think that was twice in the space of 16 nights. Also the breakfast waiting staff began quibbling over orange juice after 2 weeks of including it in the bill - it seemed like a totally pointless arguement to start having, after jointly serving 30 or 40 breakfasts to my colleagues and I up to that point - consistency please!! Overall the place is clean and well maintained and one has no great call for complaint The bar/dining area is pretty drab and the breakfast buffet uninspiring - maybe this is the sort of thing that sets Holiday Inn apart in Europe for me - there's no comparison between the public areas in this and the Koenigsalee HI in Dusseldorf, for example.
The suite was clean and served my purpose well, allowing me to work separately from where I slept - it's a shame there is no window in the living room. The bedroom was great, only losing marks on the noisy A/C and the noisy freeway.
I'd recommend this establishment for business travel due to it's proximity to Sprint and the convention centre, but would suggest one thing - ask for a room that overlooks 110th St rather than the freeway if you are a light sleeper :-) I am going back there next week, so I'd say there are more positives than negatives and the place serves it's purpose well enough for me.
Another tip? order juice with your breakfast and take the complimentary coffee from the lobby...

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business