“Older, negative reviews unwarranted now--it's a nice place!”

Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Lobby is completely renovated. Very modern and clean looking. Te older reviews mentioned problems with this, but it's completely finished, and it's pretty nice. Check in was quick and easy.
I had a king room with a sofabed (not a suite). 2nd floor. It was very clean, and l didn't see anything wrong with it. The bed, blankets, and pillows were very comfortable and "smelled clean" if that makes sense. It was a solidly nice, clean, comfortable room.

The bathroom was clean. Hot water and good shower head.

I didn't eat there, so can't comment on their "Bistro". Also, I didn't go swimming, but the pool looked decent sized. Always some people there swimming.

Location is good. Right off the interstate (435) and next to the convention center. It's about a 20-25 minute drive to the downtown / Plaza area.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ems622
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear ems622,

Thank you for your review of your last stay! We always like to hear we are doing a good job! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We unexpectedly checked into this hotel a few days ago due to the storm that blew through KC and were fairly satisfied with the room. Good thing for rewards points paying for this stay. The late night lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful with our needs when we arrived. Our only complaint being the sofa bed in room was very small compared to several other Marriott properties I've been to. With 5 people in my fam, I would have thought that a king bed/sofa bed room would have been roomy enough for us to sleep, but the sofa bed looked like it was the size of a twin size bed. Other than this minor complaint, I would recommend a stay here. The king bed was by far one of the comfiest beds I've slept in at a Marriott property... Since we were only there for about 9 hours, I didn't notice too many other negatives or positives because we just slept, showered in the morning and checked out. I don't think there was any breakfast offered.

Room Tip: Don't expect sofa bed to sleep two comfortably.... unless they upgraded.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 1FastHonda

Dear 1FastHonda,

Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at the Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center. I know that your time here was short. Hopefully you will make it back to the hotel in the near future. Thank you for staying with us!!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location of this hotel - especially if you have business at the convention center, is their strongest selling point. My son and I had a room with one king bed and a pull-out couch. It wasn't exactly spacious. The room was clean and had a separate bathroom sink from the shower/toilet area. That was nice for getting ready in the morning. There is a coffee pot, but no microwave ... you have to pop your popcorn downstairs! The restaurant/snack area was nicely decorated ... however, we found a dead roach on the ground. In their defense, it WAS close to the outside door. If you are driving through and need a place to sleep - not bad.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear TravellingMom M,

Thank you for your valuable comments about your recent stay! We use these comments to improve upon our services. I will follow up on the issue with the bug found in the lobby. I do hope that when you are in Kansas City again you will stay with us!

Thank you again!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The rooms were clean and spacious. Housekeeping was friendly, but I did t feel that the front desk staff were as helpful. Due to the fact that the hotel was sold out on Friday night, there could have been more support. The location of the hotel was convened to shopping and restaurants. The hotel is under renovation, it would have been nice if that was posted on their website.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Chaya S,

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Kansas City this last weekend. I appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I read that we could have been more supportive at the front desk. I am sorry about the inconvience you received. I will reiterate to the desk on the importance of being able to help the guests as much as possible to make them feel welcome and at home. I am sorry that you experienced this. I do hope that you will give us another chance when you come to the Kansas City area.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

"Vending" on all floors is just ice... so you can pay the ripoff prices in their "market" at the front desk. As if hotels didn't rip one off with soda machines, this one compounds by charging machine prices PLUS TAX. And you have to go downstairs to get it. If I hadn't got the room at a bargain price through a bidding site, I'd have been really ticked off. As is, it was okay, but not because of anything the hotel did. I wasn't impressed by one of the desk clerks either... not very friendly/helpful. The lobby was under renovation, so half was closed off and made the rest almost claustrophobia inducing. Room was nice, clean and quiet, though, so that brought the stay up to average.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear TravelingJonesy,

I read about your recent stay to the Courtyard Convention Center in Overland Park and want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I would like to discuss those issues with you further. I want to make sure we compensate you for your inconveniences adequately. Please give me a call at 913-317-8500. I appreciate your comments and look forward to speaking with you further.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

It's not often I check into a hotel and find myself checking right back out, but this was one of those times.

First off, the area is poorly lit and just creepy at night. It seems like a dark industrial estate wedged in behind the hospital.

Right now they are installing a Bistro, so they are not offering any food during the day or evenings, just breakfast. Not good news when you've been traveling all day.

The property is looking tired and run down, frankly they probably left it a couple of years too late to start the renovations.

Then the room itself is as plain Jane as you could imagine. Old 90's furniture in that nasty orange 'oak' color. Ordinary bed, no refrigerator.

My room was an 'upgrade' with a balcony, which was so small the tiny chairs were kind of wedged facing each other awkwardly because there wasn't even enough room to set them any other way.

So finding myself so terribly underwhelmed by the room, wondering where on Earth I was going to find something to eat (given the location there wasn't much in the way of food around there that I could see), I quickly checked online and found another Courtyard just five minutes away that cost $20 a night less, has a brand new lobby and Bistro, and is cooking me an evening meal as I write this.

I'm sorry but I have come to expect a certain standard from Courtyard. This hotel didn't even come close to measuring up. I can only hope that the renovations are extensive, but even then it's still not a pleasant location. Perhaps convenient for the hospital though.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Courtyard down the street. They've already finished renovating that one!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Marcia D, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear ZCT808,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent visit to our hotel. We are in the process of renovating our lobby to the new Bistro concept which will have a breakfast, dinner and bar option just like the Courtyard you stayed at. Unfortunately, to do this renovation we had to move our restaurant to our meeting rooms, but we still have breakfast available every morning. I would like to talk to you further about our exciting new remodel. Please feel free to call me at 913-317-8500.

Thank you again for your loyalty to Marriott!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I actually stayed in 2 Courtyards here. I was planning to stay with some colleagues in this hotel but my travel agent booked me into the Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard. It never crossed my mind there would be two so close and so I didn't check the booking. It was effortless to move the booking and I was given a warm welcome here. My room was comfortable with plenty sockets for my electrical kit. I slept like a log and I appreciated the omelette bar at breakfast. My only disappointment was the absence of a bar, although I think I recall they said that would be rectified as part of a renovation

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business