“Newly remodeled - Very nice”

Hampton Inn Kansas City/Overland Park
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Jacksonville, Illinois
“Newly remodeled - Very nice”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was in Kansas City for a tourist weekend. When I checked in, I noticed there were notices for painting the exterior of the building, which noted this was the last phase of the hotel remodeling. When I got to my room, I was happy to find out it was true, as everything seemed brand new. The room even had the 'new' smell! I was very pleased with the condition of the room and public areas.

The bed was good, with new sheets and duvet cover. Flat screen TV, ironing board, and all new bathroom fixtures.

The location is about 5 miles south of the major sites of Kansas City, but not a problem to get there via car. The area around the hotel is safe, with many options for eating and shopping. The hotel itself is situated behind a major shopping artery, set amidst a corporate office park. It was a bit tricky to find.

A nice perk was access to a jogging/biking trail behind the hotel - Indian River Trail. A great place to take a morning run.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I stay at Hampton Inns pretty often when I go out of town because I think they are one of the most consistent yet not too expensive hotel chains. They are generally clean and roomy, quiet, nice bathrooms, very comfy beds with nice linens, and have a good breakfast. This location is no different.

We checked in quickly. I was happy to see my room did not have an adjoining door to another room (this makes things louder!) We were pretty close to the elevator but didn't hear anything from it (it doesn't ding when it stops). The room was nice, and actually had a pull out couch even though we didn't request it.

When we checked in, they had popcorn in a popcorn maker all hot and ready, which was a nice gesture! It was out all evening for guests to munch on.

I slept really well with the comfy bed, room darkening drapes and quiet room.

The breakfast was good, as expected! Waffles, eggs, bacon, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, assorted breads and pastries. Yum. They kept it well stocked and clean. One thing that was a little odd was that some employees (in uniform) were making waffles for themselves, so the waffle maker was monopolized for awhile. I thought it was a little strange that they were allowed to do that with paying guests waiting to eat. Not a big deal though.

It's centrally located and easy to find from the highway! We'll definitely stay here again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rubyiu
Ellicott City
Reviewed 10 November 2010

This property is just one block off Mercer Road which is a major highway in the area. Relatively new property and very nice service and attention. Lot's of restaurants close by and as well as shopping for those who need stuff!
When going back to this area this is where I will stay

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Jan M
Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My wife and I travel to Overland Park every 2-3 months to attend a local theater. It is a getaway we have done for several years. During this time we have stayed in a majority of the hotels in the area. We like Hamptons but for some reason had never stayed here. Now I know why. From the moment we checked in something just did not feel right. The check-in staff was cordial, but not really friendly. The property, including the room, was clean but not sparkling. It was as if everything met the bare minimum standards but nothing exceeded the minimum. This is not what we have become accustomed to in Hampton properties. My wife recently had hip replacement surgery so we reserved a king accessable room. I'm sure the room was ADA compliant but again, only the basics. The remote control for the television did not work all the time. The cleaning staff would take the dirty towels and glasses out of the room when they cleaned and not replace them. I could go on but the bottom line became evident when we were packing to leave. I asked my wife what she thought of the hotel and she said "take this one off our list". I fully agree...we won't be back. There are too many quality hotels in Overland Park to consider this one again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ikiser
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2010

This was the only Hilton available all the way back up to the airport for the one night I stayed in town.
Pros:
Friendly staff, saw what looked like genuine smiles and a warm greeting on arrival.
Bathroom looks nice
HBO on a flat screen (don't think it was in HD tho, but hey).
Breakfast grab bags - This is something that I like about Hampton Inn - they've saved me from going hungry/dehydrating a number of times.

Cons:
Room smelled stale, maybe someone had smoked in there, or the carpet was just old.
Bathroom seems to have been renovated, but not the room, was a bit like hot tub time machine.
The bathroom smelled a bit like urine and sweat, I think that the drain in the floor of the shower stall might be venting foul odor, maybe the local water supply has a high sulfur content? - my first visit to the state of Kansas, this hotel was not a great impression.
No food in walking distance (for July), seems to be in a small business park with a medical center.
Not too quiet. Lots of guests arriving at and after midnight, little noise insulation from the corridor and outside arrivals, due to the window mount A/C, which is quite loud itself in how it cycles every few minutes.
I think that all Hampton Inns should either update to a set standard of equipment and standards, or just get capped at around $89 per night, because that's all a lot of them are worth.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Arkansas
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This Hampton Inn needs an updated review. Stayed last night for one night in a king deluxe room. Everything has been recently refurbished, including bathroom, all furniture in the room, the breakfast area and the small workout room. Coming from stays at a Hilton and a Hilton Garden Inn last week, this was the most comfortable bed by far. Staff were very friendly, from housekeeping to maintenance guys in the hallway. I've actually started avoiding Hampton Inns in the last couple of years because many feel run down and over priced. This one was the opposite - well maintained and reasonably priced. Give it a try!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple