Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
“pass this hotel”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

the hotel looks very different than the professional pictures. it is very dated, not clean, stained sofa, not enough outlets...we had only one outlet by the bed and it only had one plug.....we used that one for the lamp. the linens were in poor condition, one bed was out of shape, we put a sheet on the sofa in order to sit on it,the room had a stuffy smell, and there was hair and mold in the bathroom shower.

the breakfast was grab & go, which was fine, however, they only had muffins, cereal bars, and apples. apples were the only fruit.

as a flight attendant, i stay in hotels all over the country. this was set up by an outside company for a soccer tournament. i will be notifying them to remove this hotel from their list.

its a great location, and the staff was very nice, but there are cleaner and more up to date places to stay in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear about the sofa stains . As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I will take all action to ensure your experience is not repeated. In addition, regarding the bathroom, I can assure you I will also look into this so this does not happen again. But, I am pleased to hear that our location was ideal and out staff was courteous.

We take pride in providing a great stay for our guest. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at kom@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The only thing nice was the staff. After that it went down hill. The place smelled dated and little like smoke. The room was dingy but clean (if that is possible). The air filters in the ac were dirty (which popped open if you accidentally bumped into them) and caused my nose to stop up. The curtains were broken and not connected to the rod. Though we left well before noon, housekeeping did not clean our room. If you are group of college kids looking for a place to crash and drink beers, this is your place. If you have a family and desire a clean and odorless place you may need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Arrived late at night and had to wait a little for someone to come to the door, but all went well after that. Somehow we were put on the first floor instead of not on the first floor as we thought we had requested, but they gladly moved us to a second floor room the next morning. No hassle. Just asked and it was done. The staff are all very friendly. They have time to answer questions and give real advice about where things are. I can heartily recommend this motel if you want great service, friendly people, in a quiet part of town, but only a block or two from all the fast food, malls, and normal retail that fill strip malls and busy main streets. Great neighborhood. Side walks that feel safe to walk on for some exercise. Oh they do have an exercise room with walking machine etc.
The only downside is we often stay at Extended Stay motels and have gotten used to the "normal" floor plan which we like. This motel was formerly something else and does not have the floor plan we prefer. Aside from that it is a fine place to stay. Quiet, restful, clean, with a fantastically friendly and responsive staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your request for second floor was met and your kind comments about the staff. Please accept our apologies for your wait to get checked in, still we are happy to to know that we were able assist you and give you a great stay.

Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had a late check in: the lobby has two sets of doors with a phone in the outer section so that you can call the front desk after hours to get buzzed in. However, the inner door was propped open, which would be questionable if we weren't in a fairly nice neighborhood. No one was at the front desk so we had to call and wait for her to come up. She was nice and helpful, though. Our room was clean and spacious; however the bed was very hard and creaky, and they offered either feather pillows (which are nice if they don't poke you in the middle of the night) or very flat regular pillows...so I didn't get a great night's sleep. Water pressure in the shower was fine, but the shower curtain had some mildew & probably needs to be deep cleaned or replaced. They offer a "grab & go" breakfast (since they are an Extended Stay with kitchenettes, I imagine most guests cook their own meals) which consists of coffee, oatmeal, granola bars, muffins, and fruit. No juice, milk, or cereal, so guests should be aware of that. For a single overnight stay, it was fine & conveniently located, but I wouldn't want to stay long-term.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff and the cleanliness of your room; however, we apologize that we overlooked the shower curtain in your room. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are committed to check these more closely before guest check-in. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Still, I am pleased to know that you found our location to be convenient for your travel needs.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at kom@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Missouri
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed here for one night and it was fine. Nothing special and I'm glad it was for only one night. We arrived late at night (around 10:30) and had to call the front desk person on a phone to come wait on us. She was friendly and helpful. We were in a handicap accessible room which was fine. For the most part, the room was clean. It was a little dusty and the corners could have used some attention. The kitchenette was older but the TV was updated. The double bed was fine and the linens seemed clean. The bathroom was usable. We noticed that the shower did not have a place to put a shampoo bottle or the soap when you were done. Maybe because we were in an accessible room but it was difficult to shower with no one to put my items. Soap was provided but we had to go to the front desk to get shampoo. They didn't have any in the room. The breakfast was not really a breakfast. It was muffins, oatmeal bars, oatmeal packets, granny smith apples and oranges. No juice, no other fruit items, no napkins. It was pathetic. They should not advertise that they have a free breakfast. It was more of an afterthought. The offered free wi-fi but I was unable to use it because it was extremely slow. We spent about 10 hours at this hotel and that was enough. It would not be my first choice when returning. It was fine for the rate, but for another $15, I'd upgrade.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tnshsms
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our breakfast, and that the room was not up to your satisfaction. We are always looking for ways to improve on our brand, and comments such as your help us to do that. The speed of the free WiFi is something we are working with the internet provider to improve.

Thank you for the comment about the friendly staff member we really appreciate your comment on the matter. If you want to discuss this further I will be happy to talk to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at kom@extendedstay.com It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
wyoming20
Reviewed 5 September 2013

First, the access from the interstate is very easy and location is close to restaurants and Walmart grocery. Second the management and staff are very friendly, from reservation to check-out. Third, the suites are roomy, comfortable, and clean! We loved our stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am proud of our team for making your stay a pleasant one. I really appreciate your great comments about the hotel and staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Very nice hotel, appeared to be well maintained and cleaned. Room was nicely laid out, perhaps a bit cramped but quite useable. Kitchenette was a nice touch, came in handy. Grab & Go breakfast works well to get moving in the morning. First rate staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
The team and I appreciate your positive remarks. I am glad to read that you were pleased with your stay and our staff. It is very rewarding to here we have made your stay a pleasant one.