Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure why there are some poor reviews of this location but I assure you that this hotel is easily equivalent to a 3 star (la Quinta or holiday inn type) hotel. Not outdated and no towels with holes or ripped bedspreads. The only flaws I found were lack of tv channels (30 cable) and just adequate Internet speed about 1MB. Other then that, staff is amazing, rooms and hotel are sparkling clean, and it's a safe hotel and environment. This is far from what you would categorize as a weekly hotel. If you get it through priceline or hotwire you got a steal for sure!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here a couple years ago and enjoyed the facility. I'm not sure if the hotel has changed ownership or management recently, but my overall experience this time was disappointing. There are several Extended Stay America locations with a mile or so of each other. I think this is because some locations used to be part of another hotel chain that was acquired by Extended Stay America.

AAA rate for a Queen Suite is currently $57/night. City & State tax is an additional $10/night so total cost (with AAA discount) is $67/night for a Queen Suite.

Two years ago I was in a "Open King" suite, and this time I decided to save a few bucks by trying the Queen suite for four nights. If I stay at this property again, I'll pay the additional $10/night and get the King suite again. It's worth it... the King Suite seems almost twice as big as the Queen Suite, with a totally separate bedroom that closes off from the living room & kitchen. The separate bedroom has a bigger (King) bed of course, a second TV, a full functional desk, vanity and bathroom. The living room area in the King suite has a sofa and TV of it's own and a second table/desk.

Here are my observations of the Queen Suite I stayed in this visit (Room 206):

PROS
• Price (for suite)
• Ample electric outlets
• Location near retail, virtually walking distance (Hooters, O'Charley's, Hardees, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chuck E. Cheese, WalMart, strip shopping centers)
• Wall thermostat very easy to use, seems to work well
• Bed is pretty comfortable
• Bathroom sink & vanity are separate room from toilet & shower
• Ample lighting
• 32-inch LG flatscreen TV on swivel stand works well and has two HDMI ports (see photo)
• JVC DVD player (XV-N370)
• Ample clothes hanging area next to vanity (only 4 wood hangers, though)
• Lots of empty kitchen cabinet & drawer space
• Zenith clock radio (Z1200B) has an ipod/mp3 cable
• 2 rolling desk chairs and "island" desk so people can face each when seated at it (working, eating, etc.)
• Coffee at the "Grab-And-Go" breakfast is pretty good for hotel coffee (fairly robust, not weak).

CONS
• Towels are rough (cotton/poly) and a bit small
• Damaged comfy chair (torn fabric -- see photos)
• Damaged wall behind shelving unit/night stand
• Dirty handprints on wall at foot of bed
• Long black hairs left in shower (see photo)
• Exercise room only consists of a treadmill, an elliptical machine & small flat screen TV (see photo)
• Front desk is frequently unstaffed so you have to call for them using the entrance phone
• No night clerk (locked main door requires key entry... not classy)
• Staff friendliness is hit or miss... some are quite friendly and capable, others are less so
• "Grab-And-Go" breakfast is pretty basic... heavy on the oatmeal, not much selection. (see photos)
• Breakfast only available until 9:30 am, instead of 10 or 10:30, like some other hotels
• No salt/pepper in rooms
• Stuffy air in room at times... the only thing you can do is open your door to the hallway, since room windows don't open
• Bed linens are very basic... somewhat "cheapy"
• No dishwashing liquid (for sink use)
• Bathroom light & (LOUD) fan are on the same switch so they come on together ...annoying, especially in middle of the night
• Shower can take a full minute or two to get warm, no matter the time of day/night
• Toilet water level quite low and stops up easily, no plunger in room... have to go down the hall to the trash room to "borrow" plunger
• No daily maid service... have to make bed, swap towels at front desk, and dispose of trash/garbage in trash room
• If someone is cooking in their room, hallway can get a little smelly
• Overhead kitchen cabinets stick -- hard to open
• No paper towels or napkins in room

OTHER NOTES
• No maid service if staying 7 days or less
• 2-Burner stovetop
• 2 roomy nightstand drawers
• 3 roomy drawers under the bathroom sink vanity
• No dresser
• Very few dishes and kitchen utensils: 1 skillet (not non-stick); 1 small pot; toaster; 2 large plates; 2 medium plates; 2 cereal bowls; 2 coffee mugs (not matching); 2 plastic glasses; 2 spoons; 2 forks; 2 serrated bread knifes; 1 small steak knife; combination can & bottle opener; plastic spatula; hot pad; dish towel; dish drainer (under sink); and 1 packet of dishwasher detergent (powder).
• Hair dryer, iron & board
• SMALL 4-cup coffee pot in room... Sunbeam model 3279, uses standard flat paper filter.
• Grab & Go Breakfast items: hot tea; coffee; hot cocoa; apples; oranges; oatmeal; individually wrapped muffins in assorted flavors -- chocolate, blueberry, banana, etc.; and chewy granola bars in assorted flavors (chocolate chip, raisin, oatmeal, etc.).

WISH I HAD BROUGHT
• Scissors
• Paper towels
• Small, flat coffee filters
• Camera cable, to transfer my photos to computer

GLAD I BROUGHT
• Night light
• Ipod (bookshelf) speakers
• HDMI cable (for watching ESPN3 and other computer programs, on the flatscreen TV)
• Powder coffee creamer
• Coffee (you're only given one starter pack, when you arrive)

Room Tip: The King suites are only $10 more per night than the Queen suites, and worth it (I've stayed in...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am very glad to read that your first stay at our hotel was excellent; however, I am sorry that this second one did not meet your expectations. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I am looking into each of your comments and addressing them with our staff members. Our goal is to provide each of our guests with a comfortable stay at our hotel, so we are going to strive to ensure we do this moving forward.

Thank you again for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at kom@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

the hotel looks very different than the professional pictures. it is very dated, not clean, stained sofa, not enough outlets...we had only one outlet by the bed and it only had one plug.....we used that one for the lamp. the linens were in poor condition, one bed was out of shape, we put a sheet on the sofa in order to sit on it,the room had a stuffy smell, and there was hair and mold in the bathroom shower.

the breakfast was grab & go, which was fine, however, they only had muffins, cereal bars, and apples. apples were the only fruit.

as a flight attendant, i stay in hotels all over the country. this was set up by an outside company for a soccer tournament. i will be notifying them to remove this hotel from their list.

its a great location, and the staff was very nice, but there are cleaner and more up to date places to stay in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear about the sofa stains . As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I will take all action to ensure your experience is not repeated. In addition, regarding the bathroom, I can assure you I will also look into this so this does not happen again. But, I am pleased to hear that our location was ideal and out staff was courteous.

We take pride in providing a great stay for our guest. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at kom@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The only thing nice was the staff. After that it went down hill. The place smelled dated and little like smoke. The room was dingy but clean (if that is possible). The air filters in the ac were dirty (which popped open if you accidentally bumped into them) and caused my nose to stop up. The curtains were broken and not connected to the rod. Though we left well before noon, housekeeping did not clean our room. If you are group of college kids looking for a place to crash and drink beers, this is your place. If you have a family and desire a clean and odorless place you may need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Arrived late at night and had to wait a little for someone to come to the door, but all went well after that. Somehow we were put on the first floor instead of not on the first floor as we thought we had requested, but they gladly moved us to a second floor room the next morning. No hassle. Just asked and it was done. The staff are all very friendly. They have time to answer questions and give real advice about where things are. I can heartily recommend this motel if you want great service, friendly people, in a quiet part of town, but only a block or two from all the fast food, malls, and normal retail that fill strip malls and busy main streets. Great neighborhood. Side walks that feel safe to walk on for some exercise. Oh they do have an exercise room with walking machine etc.
The only downside is we often stay at Extended Stay motels and have gotten used to the "normal" floor plan which we like. This motel was formerly something else and does not have the floor plan we prefer. Aside from that it is a fine place to stay. Quiet, restful, clean, with a fantastically friendly and responsive staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your request for second floor was met and your kind comments about the staff. Please accept our apologies for your wait to get checked in, still we are happy to to know that we were able assist you and give you a great stay.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had a late check in: the lobby has two sets of doors with a phone in the outer section so that you can call the front desk after hours to get buzzed in. However, the inner door was propped open, which would be questionable if we weren't in a fairly nice neighborhood. No one was at the front desk so we had to call and wait for her to come up. She was nice and helpful, though. Our room was clean and spacious; however the bed was very hard and creaky, and they offered either feather pillows (which are nice if they don't poke you in the middle of the night) or very flat regular pillows...so I didn't get a great night's sleep. Water pressure in the shower was fine, but the shower curtain had some mildew & probably needs to be deep cleaned or replaced. They offer a "grab & go" breakfast (since they are an Extended Stay with kitchenettes, I imagine most guests cook their own meals) which consists of coffee, oatmeal, granola bars, muffins, and fruit. No juice, milk, or cereal, so guests should be aware of that. For a single overnight stay, it was fine & conveniently located, but I wouldn't want to stay long-term.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff and the cleanliness of your room; however, we apologize that we overlooked the shower curtain in your room. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are committed to check these more closely before guest check-in. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Still, I am pleased to know that you found our location to be convenient for your travel needs.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at kom@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed here for one night and it was fine. Nothing special and I'm glad it was for only one night. We arrived late at night (around 10:30) and had to call the front desk person on a phone to come wait on us. She was friendly and helpful. We were in a handicap accessible room which was fine. For the most part, the room was clean. It was a little dusty and the corners could have used some attention. The kitchenette was older but the TV was updated. The double bed was fine and the linens seemed clean. The bathroom was usable. We noticed that the shower did not have a place to put a shampoo bottle or the soap when you were done. Maybe because we were in an accessible room but it was difficult to shower with no one to put my items. Soap was provided but we had to go to the front desk to get shampoo. They didn't have any in the room. The breakfast was not really a breakfast. It was muffins, oatmeal bars, oatmeal packets, granny smith apples and oranges. No juice, no other fruit items, no napkins. It was pathetic. They should not advertise that they have a free breakfast. It was more of an afterthought. The offered free wi-fi but I was unable to use it because it was extremely slow. We spent about 10 hours at this hotel and that was enough. It would not be my first choice when returning. It was fine for the rate, but for another $15, I'd upgrade.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tnshsms
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our breakfast, and that the room was not up to your satisfaction. We are always looking for ways to improve on our brand, and comments such as your help us to do that. The speed of the free WiFi is something we are working with the internet provider to improve.

Thank you for the comment about the friendly staff member we really appreciate your comment on the matter. If you want to discuss this further I will be happy to talk to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at kom@extendedstay.com It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.