“Nice staff, not nice rooms”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked this hotel for a birthday weekend in Overland Park. For being a newly renovated hotel this was one of the most uncomfortable experiences we've ever had. The beds are very hard and the walls are paper thin. The room was also missing many of the regular amenities your would expect; hair dryer, tissue, etc. The staff was very nice and accommodating as they could be. I cannot say enough about how nice they were and trying to get us more comfortable and in a better room for the second night, but there is only so much they can do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel on Hotwire. I'm not sure what I expected for $33.00 a night but it sure did not include "do it yourself plumbing". One of the boys tells us that their toilet is clogged. I tell the front desk and am ever so politely informed that each floor comes completely equipped with its own plunger.
Now it was funny, but really?
The women at the front desk who checked us in knew nothing of the area and seemed to be either stoned or perpetually out of it. The room was musty and moldy. The Clampetts who were residing next to us managed to stuff at least 6 adults in one room their choice of music at 2am left something to be desired.

Overall it was a bed, bathroom and not much else. It's a shame as the hotel is in a great location. However the concept needs a lot of work.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank DSergi
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had to stay for 5 days in June 2014. Do not expect breakfast- The only breakfast items you will find are handful muffins, orange and apple. Do not expect utensils or in fact anything in the kitchen. All 5 days they were out of utensils!! The stay was overall average. I am rethinking about my next month stay! The only positive side is the price on hotwire and proximity to my client office.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I was disheartened to read that our kitchens did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies. In response to your feedback, I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to discuss ways to prevent your experience from being repeated. I am also sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our grab-and-go breakfast. We appreciate feedback like yours, as it will help us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at kom2@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Always very happy to stay in this property while doing business in the Kansas City area. An excellent value. This was previously ExtendedStay Deluxe, before rebranding by the parent company. I use their basic Queen room. Nice quality mattress and bedding. Kitchen is attractive enough and stocked with basic dinnerware and pans. Full-size refrigerator, most have ice makers, but ice is also available in the laundry room. Dishwasher and detergent packet provided. Stovetop. Kitchen/dining table with two rolling office style chairs. Living area has either an oversize chair that converts into an additional single bed or a newer recliner. I prefer the older oversized chair, but it seems most guests are preferring a newer recliner. An added plus, because this was one of ESA's former Deluxe brand, a DVD player connected to the tv. Bathroom stocked with plenty of towels and decent soaps. Shower has good water pressure. Nice lighting in the room for relaxing or getting work done.

Fitness room is available 24/7. Enough furniture in lobby or breakfast room to be able to meet with other guests and to use the tables for limited business. Breakfast is the brand consistent Grab and Go selection, but kept well-stocked during breakfast hours. Conference room is available. Laundry room available with many clean and well-maintained machines. Parking lot is large and well lighted, with room for oversize vehicles and trailers. I can arrive at any time of the night and know that parking will not be an issue.

While the extended stay properties might not be high-end, I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to be. I have always found this one to be clean, comfortable, welcoming and very affordable.

Room Tip: There are a few first floor rooms that sometimes have a semi truck parked on an adjacent property...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

We read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such positive things about our hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and everything that our hotel had to offer. We strive to make sure that all of our guest have a 'home away from home' experience and are glad that we were able to provide you with this.

Thank you again for your review, we really appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here while my father was in nearby St Joseph hospital. The $64/night rate on Expedia was fabulous - and then, the mgr called us a few hrs after booking to tell us that he did not have a king room available in spite of Expedia selling me one - I asked him to see what he could do. He actually gave us a voucher for a free night, which turned out to be such a blessing since my loved one ended up passing away. Bless this hotel!

Room Tip: Near St Joseph Hospital - only like 1.5 miles
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Well, its not bad for the price we paid for the weekend. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. The Lobby is small and outdated. The room had a odd smell to it. Nothing disgusting but lets say .... a not so fresh smell. Sheets were clean and bed was comfortable. Kitchen was outdated. All knobs in the kitchen and bathroom were rusty. Bathroom cramped.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The extended stay was clean, staff were friendly and helpful. It felt a bit more like a hotel than a lot of so-called "home-away-from-homes" that feel like low-end motels so I was happy about that. The suites are pretty small so I imagine it would feel cramped if there were a few of you if if say you're a couple with a baby. However, for a business traveler it was fine. The bed was comfy, a/c worked well, TV had the usual mix of channels (locals, ESPN, Discovery) with Showtime thrown in for good measure. Didn't use the microwave or oven but the fridge and coffee maker worked fine. The iron was not working but the receptionist gave me a replacement that worked OK. The rooms were quiet in terms of neighbors but I was right above the lobby and the sound echoed when a group of contractors decided to take up residence in the entrance way and have a loud conversation for several hours.

The breakfast was a "breakfast" on the go. Basically, coffee pots and items such as granola bars, muffins and apples that you could grab on your way out. There were a handful of tables and a TV in there if you wanted to eat there. One day I left a bit later at about 7.30 and other than the apples -- just about everything was gone. I didn't have time to ask at reception if they could replenish the supplies so I don't know if that is an option. The other days I left earlier at 6am and there were plentiful supplies.

The fitness room was a bit disappointing. The elyptical was good and worked well but the only other machine was a treadmill that I couldn't get to work. That apart there was a workout mat but that was it. Luckily I was the only person in there since there wouldn't have been anything for anyone else to do.

The location was good just off I435 at Metcalfe and close to Walmart, a gas station and various restaurants. It was easy to get in and out of KC from there. The exterior looked nice and was well kept up. I'd give it a three judging it by hotels in general as opposed to just comparably priced hotels so that's not a bad score because for the price it was good value but obviously I can't give it a higher score when compared with higher end hotels that I've stayed at.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business