Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you land in this hotel using a third party discount site and only pay half the listed price, it's not a bad deal. However, they aren't prepared to be at max capacity. When we checked in they were out of bed linens for the pull out couches, towels, and cooking utensils. Which is disappointing when you buy groceries and plan to cook dinner. Also the continental breakfast is nothing to speak of. Not satisfying at all. If coffee and a granola bar is all you need you'll be set. The only positive thing I have to say about this hotel is the staff was friendly and prompt. But like I said you get what you pay for. Just don't pay full price.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I got lucky and found Extended Stay America via Hotwire. I stayed from July 24-27, 2014.

I enjoyed almost every aspect of my stay. The staff were very friendly (all said "hello" to me wherever I was), the room was spacious and the temperature easy to control, the shower's water pressure was fantastic, and I had every amenity I wanted in my room (kitchenette, ironing board and iron, hair dryer) or could get at the front desk (shampoo). I liked the fact that they don't clean the room until 5 days later (I think) or when you leave. If I needed more towels, I could get them at the front desk. No need for a stranger in my room. The location near I-435 makes getting around convenient.

On the other hand, I would have liked a more robust breakfast with bananas, waffles I could toast, and food to microwave. I also would have liked a quilted pillow top on my mattress, but I slept well and didn't wake up with any aches from it. The Wi-Fi was inconsistent and unreliable, particularly for my smartphone on the premises. It worked OK for my laptop in the room, but was slow (videos, picture uploads/downloads in particular).

Overall, I rated this facility a 4/5.

Room Tip: I was in 114 and my only issue was the light from the parking lot crept through my curtains. I like...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our friendly staff and your spacious room. We are pleased to read that your room had all the amenities you needed. Still, I do apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast and our Wi-Fi did not meet your needs. Your feedback on these issues will be helpful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a basketball tournament. after the first night all parent were asking each other how was your night, everyone has to say bad things even the kids were disappointed. the bed was very uncomfortable did not sleep for two nights. the A/C was very loud and noisy. no hot water. no cleaning service during the weekend, that means no clean towels. we had to go to the front desk to ask for clean towels but no one at the front desk. A sign says " will be back helping another guest" I went twice and did not see any another guest. the grab and go breakfast was warm coffee. will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not chose to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you found our staff to be friendly; however, we sincerely apologize that we were out of the items you requested. We will be working to ensure that we have adequate supplies for all of our guests.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so we really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at kom2@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked this hotel for a birthday weekend in Overland Park. For being a newly renovated hotel this was one of the most uncomfortable experiences we've ever had. The beds are very hard and the walls are paper thin. The room was also missing many of the regular amenities your would expect; hair dryer, tissue, etc. The staff was very nice and accommodating as they could be. I cannot say enough about how nice they were and trying to get us more comfortable and in a better room for the second night, but there is only so much they can do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel on Hotwire. I'm not sure what I expected for $33.00 a night but it sure did not include "do it yourself plumbing". One of the boys tells us that their toilet is clogged. I tell the front desk and am ever so politely informed that each floor comes completely equipped with its own plunger.
Now it was funny, but really?
The women at the front desk who checked us in knew nothing of the area and seemed to be either stoned or perpetually out of it. The room was musty and moldy. The Clampetts who were residing next to us managed to stuff at least 6 adults in one room their choice of music at 2am left something to be desired.

Overall it was a bed, bathroom and not much else. It's a shame as the hotel is in a great location. However the concept needs a lot of work.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank DSergi
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had to stay for 5 days in June 2014. Do not expect breakfast- The only breakfast items you will find are handful muffins, orange and apple. Do not expect utensils or in fact anything in the kitchen. All 5 days they were out of utensils!! The stay was overall average. I am rethinking about my next month stay! The only positive side is the price on hotwire and proximity to my client office.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Metcalf, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I was disheartened to read that our kitchens did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies. In response to your feedback, I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to discuss ways to prevent your experience from being repeated. I am also sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our grab-and-go breakfast. We appreciate feedback like yours, as it will help us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at kom2@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Always very happy to stay in this property while doing business in the Kansas City area. An excellent value. This was previously ExtendedStay Deluxe, before rebranding by the parent company. I use their basic Queen room. Nice quality mattress and bedding. Kitchen is attractive enough and stocked with basic dinnerware and pans. Full-size refrigerator, most have ice makers, but ice is also available in the laundry room. Dishwasher and detergent packet provided. Stovetop. Kitchen/dining table with two rolling office style chairs. Living area has either an oversize chair that converts into an additional single bed or a newer recliner. I prefer the older oversized chair, but it seems most guests are preferring a newer recliner. An added plus, because this was one of ESA's former Deluxe brand, a DVD player connected to the tv. Bathroom stocked with plenty of towels and decent soaps. Shower has good water pressure. Nice lighting in the room for relaxing or getting work done.

Fitness room is available 24/7. Enough furniture in lobby or breakfast room to be able to meet with other guests and to use the tables for limited business. Breakfast is the brand consistent Grab and Go selection, but kept well-stocked during breakfast hours. Conference room is available. Laundry room available with many clean and well-maintained machines. Parking lot is large and well lighted, with room for oversize vehicles and trailers. I can arrive at any time of the night and know that parking will not be an issue.

While the extended stay properties might not be high-end, I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to be. I have always found this one to be clean, comfortable, welcoming and very affordable.

Room Tip: There are a few first floor rooms that sometimes have a semi truck parked on an adjacent property...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

We read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such positive things about our hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and everything that our hotel had to offer. We strive to make sure that all of our guest have a 'home away from home' experience and are glad that we were able to provide you with this.

Thank you again for your review, we really appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.