“Great Stay”

Residence Inn Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 20 July 2013

After reading a couple of the previous reviews I'm not sure where the wear and tear is on this hotel. Our suite was very clean, modern and fresh (except for our noisy refrigerator). Breakfast was very good, but extremely crowded. Overall I would rate this property very good. I will be back.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2013

The staff here was great. Our front desk agent remembered us by name when checking out from when we checked in 6 days prior! Amazing, or what?? I think this hotel is probably coming up on the list of renovations as it was worn hard. The bathrooms seemed to be renovated and had fresh shower inserts and countertops, but the carpeting is getting worn down. However, what can you really expect in a situation where people are allowed to carry breakfast up to their rooms and that accepts pets. The carpets reflect that. Beds are comfortable and windows open, so we were able to open them during the nice weather. Beware if you have a sensitive nose or allergies, as this hotel accepts pets and does not limit them to specific rooms. I found I was in a room previously occupied by a cat as my eyes indicated on the first night and as we kept finding white cat hair in odd places - windowsill, corner behind door. Our room had a very strong odor too that we spent the week trying to get rid of with the windows to no avail; likely also caused by being pet friendly. Smelled like the beach, but not in a good way, more of a wet sand/wet dog kind of way. Breakfast in the mornings was good and changed variety. Good scrambled eggs, meats, waffles, and healthy items like yogurt, oatmeal and bagels. Pastries too. Free internet. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Top floor if you can handle the stairs, otherwise you will hear the people above you quite often. W...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the second floor. There are not many options in Overland Park with 2 bedroom suites and I feel this Residence Inn exploits this with its very high room rates for this particular location.
THE BAD- trash is everywhere...on the ground in the outside areas and overflowing the bins. It never was taken care of for our whole visit. A beer can was being used to prop open the pool room window. The sport court and fountain areas were not as nice as the photos due to trash and lack of general maintenance. The breakfast had various choices but someone needs to learn how to make powdered eggs...too watery to be eaten :-( Just a FYI the pool is also very small..photos online make it appear larger. Also , front of hotel is very hard to discern...looks like all the other doors, and upon entry, we were not greeted. I began searching for a bell to ring...and finally someone appeared.
The GOOD- the room itself had comfy beds and nice flatscreens. Decor wasn't bad..which was a relief after seeing the carpet in the hallways.
Overall, I was disappointed. We have stayed at the Residence in Kansas City several times and would say that location was much nicer.This one needs some TLC, updating and maintenance help.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Angela E
Reviewed 1 June 2013

One had to navigate through a series of winding road to get to the hotel. It is not obvious from the main road.
Lack of a big garbage can outside the hotel entrance. The one inside the eating area is hidden from view, inside the cabinet; only during dining time the big garbage can was brought out.
Not very sound proof and vibration proof. Hear and feel people running in the hallway.
Only shampoo and conditionner are provided. No lotion and month wash.
Breakfast starts very late: 6:30 AM during weekends. And much later during weekends. On Saturday, one has to drink cold coffee at 6:30 AM.
Elevator is a little old and makes a sound and a jerk upon floor arrival.
On the positive side, the room is roomy and has a lot of sunlight. It has enough TV channels. Internet is free. It provides both USA Today and the local newspaper. Warm breakfast is okay with a little varity each day.
All in all, I feel Staybridge offers a better stay and value.

Room Tip: Stay in high floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank watsonk
Joe A, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you for your comments to TripAdvisor. We will use your feed back to help us improve our operations. We appreciated the opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Marriott hotels are all excellent but my favorite has always been the Residence Inn. This Res Inn is a solid representative of and excellent brand. The room I had was sparkling clean and the folks at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The decorations, color patterns, and furniture are exactly like other Res Inns I have seen. The pool looked good (I didn't use it) but the gym was pretty small with only a few machines. There is a nice sitting area outside with a little fountain thing that is, I guess, supposed to be relaxing except that a big fan was so loud you couldn't hear the water. Cool little putting range which I have never seen before and there is a basketball court. The breakfast was good but presentation was not quite as good as other Res Inns I have stayed at (I have stayed at many Res Inns). Parking is convenient and safe and there is a huge liquor store within walking/stumbling distance, so...The only downside is that there is a bunch of construction going on very near the hotel and that could be a little noisy during the day if you are on the wrong side. The hotel front is a little difficult to see from the road and the sign is smallish but if you use a GPS you will be OK. Plus, it is paired up with another Marriott brand hotel (Courtyard?). If I had to stay in this area again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep during the day you might want to avoid the side of the building where the const...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank B1Brian
Reviewed 17 May 2013

One of the benefits of staying at a Residence Inn as a frequent traveler is you pretty know what you are going to get, and that was the case at this location. Great location in Overland Park. Convenient to Overland Park shopping at Town Center and Hawthorne Plaza. Clean room. Helpful staff. FREE BREAKFAST!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed is the Suites with another couple and the set up was perfect. We had our own rooms with a bathroom. Nice to spend time with our friends and have the kitchen and living room to hang out in. With 3 TVs, everyone had their choice if needed. The breakfast was great..cereal, waffle, eggs, sausage and biscuits and gravy. After going to the NASCAR race it was so relaxing to come back and just kick back.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends