“Just Not That Into This Place”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If I had never been to Hampton Inn, Fairfield Suites, or even one of the better Best Westerns, Holiday Inn would be a nice choice.

But I have been to all those places. And plenty of others. And Holiday Inn must step it up.

Let's start by having to stand ungreeted at the check-in desk for nearly five minutes (@ 5:30pm on a Saturday), and no one in sight. I wandered around the lobby / restaurant area for a few minutes, came back, and finally came upon someone to check us in.

The room was fine, and the restaurant/bar sets Holiday Inn apart from most mid-priced lodging.

But no complimentary breakfast of ANY sort (much less a hot one)? And the lobby coffee is served in 8oz white styro cups with no lids? Really???

They completely missed the mark on several things that are important to me. For that price, never again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GM-36, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Mark J,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any and all of the inconsistencies you encountered during your recent stay. I can assure you that we are as equally surprised as this is the complete opposite of the experience we hope that all guests depart with.

If possible, contact me at your earliest convenience. I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your stay further and extend an invitation to return or make amends.

ajenner@kinseth.com

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Check in went smoothly. Staff was friendly. Even though I got a room just off the elevator lobby, it was pretty quiet from the standpoint of internal noise. Be aware that rooms on front side of the hotel have a lot of highway noise. It didn't bother me, but if you are sensitive to that, request a room facing the back.

The hotel looks to have gone though a recent renovation and was clean. The lobby was spacious and inviting with computers that actually worked!

The room was average sized and laid out well. I slept great and the oversized pillows were very comfortable. Lots of choices on the TV.

My only real complaint was with the tub. I am a bath person but they installed a grab rail that hits you right in the head/neck when you try to recline essentially making taking a comfortable bath impossible.

Overall, I was pleased and would stay again if I got another good deal.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bob F
GM-36, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Hrbek14,
We are more than appreciative of your kind comments and business. It is our pleasure serving your needs. We would be delighted to see you again whenever you return to the area.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here two nights on business. Very nice hotel, clean rooms, and quiet. The ONLY issue was the poor internet, which is an issue when you are traveling on business. Not overly impressed with the on-site restaurant - just fair serve and food. There are better options close by.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Hokiechip,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review.

The hotel has just added an extensive number of internet gates which has corrected the uncommon challenge you experienced.

We hope to earn your business again next time your in the area.

Guest services

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I travel for business, use Hotwire and so am never sure where I will end up. It would be OK with me to end up here any time. Stacy has been at the front desk since I started staying there about 4 years ago. He does a great job. His demeanor & professionalism seems to resonate through out the staff. This building is showing it's age but is well kept and nicely decorated. The room was comfy, big screen HD TV, frig & micro-wave. There's a great restaurant/bar on the main floor, pool, hot-tub area and a nice office center. This play is near the high way, a variety of places to eat and shopping. Please, let me know how was your stay. Maybe I'll see you there!

Room Tip: I'm not sure but the rooms in the rear may be a little quieter. The front faces the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GM-36, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Geotreo,

Thank you for your second positive review of the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West in less than two years.

Your kind comments toward Stacey will make his day!

We look forward to seeing again next time your in the area.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I just want to start off by saying the front desk Rosy and Stacy are amazing! And the General Manager but I can't remember his name. I was here for business but my grandma and her sisters were coming to see their brother they had not seen in a long time and I couldn't have made this surprise so special without them so Thank You! And thank you for a new remodeled room for them. This hotel is older but is in the process of a complete renovation, so in a few months, it will be amazing. Just right now there is a lot of banging going on in the new suites building and on the second floor of the main building I believe. I was told the hotel is about 75% done, so I would recommend asking for a newly remodeled room. I had a suite and it was very spacious and modern. But all in all it was a great experience. The food at the restaurant was actually pretty good and the food tasted very fresh, and the staff that works there are awesome too. When I come back to this area, I will stay her for sure.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GM-36, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear BuTtA14,

Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff and services. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to earn your business again in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel's "management" was the biggest joke I have ever seen I'm my life! The staff was so rude and unprofessional! It almost seemed like they didn't know how to do anything. The rooms were nothing special and were mediocre at best. The pool wasn't too great either. Please to do NOT let the pictures deceive you!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear MoneyDaTruth21,

Please accept my apologies regarding your less than memorable experience.

I would like to learn the details surrounding your stay so that we may correct the issue going forward. It would be appreciated if you would contact me at ajenner@kinseth.com.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Staff is very rude, lazy, and unwilling to help and they seemed like they did not know how to handle anything.Rooms are very dirty and the water is rusty, showers have rust rings around the drain. Pool is gross.

• Stayed: April 2014
GM-36, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear recent guest,

Please email or call so that we can discuss your recent stay with us.

Sincerely, Alan Jenner