“Don't plan on sleeping”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Horrible experience! Thinnest walls of any motel we have ever stayed at. I could hear my neighbors breathing. I kid you not. The doors slam every time someone enters or leaves and they stick as someone said. The toilets flush like a cruise ship. So incredibly loud. I could hear anyone on my side of the motel flushing. You can hear everything from anyone within 200 ft of your door.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristen E

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights, just over $200 and a door that gives you a bruised shoulder to open (new paint) in a hotel room the size of a bedroom and that includes the bathroom. I reserved this room after reading several reviews months ago, but I must have read reviews on a website that operates only in opposites (in other words, I can't remember). Yelp.com gives the truth. I would have never paid for something like this. Our light above the sick is a fluorescent and is flickering on and off and they never came and made the bed or replaced our towels. There were there pillows on the bed and when we went to ask for three more, they have us two. No flat screen tv either. I'm sorry, 21st century and we paid $200 to stay here...not worth it. Surrounding area has many amenities and a 24 hour Steak 'n Shake is 100 feet away. You can only get to your room by outside too.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Ktek515619
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

The reviews and the pictures I saw seem to have lied. It's not horrible, but it's tinier than it looked online and only outside access to your rooms. The door wouldn't even unlock because new paint was applied. The traffic around the area is busy and makes it hard to get in and out of the place. Not very happy.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ktek515619
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Spent the night in Kansas City - the motel was clean, the room quite spacious, and the bed excellent. Lots of restaurants in the area, so finding supper was no problem. The front desk was efficient, and check-out was smooth. Breakfast was a bit skimpy, but adequate.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013

First room was smelly, furnishings old and rif raf hanging out nearby; I went back to the office for another room and encountered the same thing but now no fridge or microwave. With only 2 vehicles in the parking lot raised a red flag but I lost interest after the second room. Went back and asked for a refund, two ladies at the front desk were rude and said I would have to contact expedia because they did not get paid. I asked for. Receipt since I did not have access to a computer or printer, they said they didn't have one for me to get it from my email. Needless to say after a couple calls to hotel.com and speaking with a manager who said she could only tell me her name was Re..and her calling the hotel she finally agreed to give my money back. Do NOT stay at this place, its stinks and the rooms look like a prostitutes hangout!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lauranpritchard
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Turned out to be a decent hotel. I had bad experience at another hotel and booked room through Expedia the same day with no reservation. Staff was friendly and it was a pleasant stay. Hotel is older, but clean and no issues during our stay. Close to restaurants, gas station, and shopping. Right off of interstate so easy to find and get around the city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2013

The room I was given was small. The pictures show a queen bed and chair with an ottoman. There would have been no room if there was a chair/ottoman. The is the first hotel/motel where electricity was a surcharge item--one would think utilities would come standard with the room but not at this place. The cleaning staff does not speak English which was really inconvenient. They come in the morning and take the towels but don't return to clean the room until about 3pm. The owner stands at the breakfast area and just stares--really, really creepy. The first 2 days of my stay the pastries were old and stale looking. The third day they looked like they were fresh but they still tasted dry. The juice is watered down-more like orange flavored water. They charge for a safe in the room and you have to take the time to go to the office, speak to someone with marginal English and lip rings and get it removed. When I was checking out the clerk was flirty with the guy in front of me and gave him "special" room rate which for a king larger room and it $5+ less that I paid for a small queen. I find it rude to give special deals to some people. Go to the website to book and everyone should pay the same. If you want to give discounted rates it should be clearly spelled out on the website.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1 mi away
Super 8 Merriam Shawnee
La Quinta Inn & Suites Overland Park
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission

Address: 7508 Shawnee Mission Pkwy, I-35 East / Shawnee Mission, Overland Park, KS 66202-3058
Region: United States > Kansas > Overland Park
Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Price Range: £45 - £53 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2 star — Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Howard Johnson Overland Park