“Sorely disappointed”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel multiple times in the past six months without incident however this stay was not even close to fair. Noise level was grossly unacceptable and the bed linens soiled. Between the kids stomping overhead and the noisy guests in nearby rooms, the stay felt like a trip to the circus. Next trip I will be staying elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Nancy S
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Since you've stayed with us previously, you know this is not typical of our hotel. We do everything we can to provide our guests with a quiet, clean room. It is unfortunate that other guests made it a rough stay for you. I hope you will choose to stay with us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a soccer tourney. I was immediately impressed that they imposed a curfew for the children. Very nice that they think of the other customers. Breakfast a winner as always. Very clean!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thanks for choosing to stay with us for your soccer tournament. We try to ensure that every guest has a quiet relaxing stay every time. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our hot breakfast. Come see us again next time you are in the Overland Park area!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Check in was great with a cheerful person. The hotel has a no smoking policy - great. They also have a no noise policy which they do not enforce. Both policies must be signed for when checking in. Our next door neighbors were very noisy well past midnight. Apparently they do not monitor their rooms and I do not feel it is up to us to tell the people next door to quite down. Generally we rate this chain of hotels highly but because of the noise we down rated them. Probably will not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I do apologize for the issue you had regarding the noise from your neighbors. We have every guest sign for our no smoking and noise policies upon arrival at our hotel. We enforce both policies when we are made aware of situations or they are discovered by our staff. If you are ever uncomfortable for any reason, please contact the front desk. We do everything we can to proactively make your stay as relaxing and worryfree as possible. As per our policy, we will make every attempt to quiet rooms down beginning with a courtesy call from the front desk or a personal visit. Our guests comfort, safety, and security are our priority! I hope on your next visit in town, you will give us the opportunity to take care of you!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The first impression of this hotel is great, but then it just dimishes upon arrival and after interaction with staff. Due to traveling challenges, I arrived late in the night to the hotel. I stood at the front desk for quite some time. I didn't think I would have to track down an employee to check me. The last place I looked was in the main lobby area where I found the front desk employee watching TV. Not only was it unprofessional, she did not even bother to apologize for making me have to track her down. Once I reached the room, I found some issues with cleanliness and quickly informed the front desk. She was able to switch me to another room (again, with no apology). I was able to rest for a few short hours before heading out but then ran into yet another employee in the breakfast area that was not too pleasant. I asked the location of the yogurt and she simply flailed her arm in the general direction of the item. (not a "good morning" or walking me over to the item). I left the hotel with a bad taste in my mouth from the lack of customer service from the staff. I would highly recommend booking elsewhere until the staff is trained in customer service to assist guests. Highly disapointed in this location and will be booking my stay elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask the staff if the room is clean of debris.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rebekah M
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us! I value your feedback, as we rely on our guests to give us their perspect that we sometimes miss. We do everything we can stress the importance of taking care of our guests with the courtesy and friendliness that you deserve. I want to apologize for your unpleasant experience and hope you will give us another opportunity to take care of you in future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have seen this hotel since I was a kid back in the 70s Didn't expect much when I arrived but I was blown away. This place obviously has been re-tasked for travelers and it is clean and as up to date as the newest hotels I have stayed in. Baths were clean and no old smell that older places something had .Very nice and quiet. Dood breakfast in the room.

Room Tip: West side has a view of the highway, east side the suburbs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I were visiting family in Overland Park, and settled on a King Suite room at this hotel!

We checked in fairly late, almost Midnight and the hotel was 99% sold out. The only king suite room they had left was on the 1st floor for us. I usually like to have a higher floor, but understand that availability was not there.

Features -
Free Parking
Free Wi-Fi
Complimentary Hot Breakfast

Room -
Separate living area, with a sofa, coffee table, and a small table with 2 chairs. There was Small kitchenette with a refrigerator and microwave.
Complimentary coffee machine as well.
King bed was comfortable.
Open closet concept
NO SAFE - PLEASE NOTE...
Bath & Body Works Bath Products
Our room had ONLY a shower, NO tub (not sure if that is the case with other rooms)
40" LCD TV, that swivels between the bed and the living area
Entrance has a large full length mirror
Good Housekeeping

Spreads - Jams, Cream Cheese, Butter
Biscuit & Gravy
Drinks - Water, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice, Teas, Coffee, Milk
Cereal

Overall, for a short 2 night stay, this was very nice! Seems up to date, I would next time, however, try to secure a floor other than 1st Floor.

Room Tip: Choose a higher Floor King Suites are great - grab breakfast in the morning, and bring back to eat...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenniye5
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thanks for spending the weekend with us! Sounds like you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we have to offer. We do have the modern walk in shower concept in our king suites, but have the traditional tub/shower feature in our standard king & double queen rooms. Although we don't have a safe in the room, we do offer complimentary safety deposit boxes at the front desk for your use. I am very glad you were able to enjoy our fresh, hot breakfast! We look forward to you staying with us again in the future!

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in the middle of August. Front desk staff seemed a bit overwhelmed, but eventually were able to accommodate my request for a king suite with a walk in shower. Hotel very clean with nice furnishings. Rooms were spacious. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your patience while the front desk assisted other guests and that we were able to get you the room you prefer. We are working to relieve the workload on our front desk associates by have additional help during busy arrival days. I appreciate your feedback as we use it to better take care of our guests. We hope to see you again very soon.