“Disappointing First Time Visit to Cinetopia Movie Parlor”

Cinetopia Overland Park
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Nothing in the online writeup about this theatre says you must arrive 30-45 minutes prior to start of movie if you plan to order food. It was a shock when we arrived at 6:25pm for a 6:40pm movie start & told we were too late to order food. We complained and were allowed into the movie to order food. Once in, the opulance of the theatre was overwhelming & unnecessary for me. The chairs (with ottomans) are pretty but not comfortable. Our food order was taken, paid for and delivered all before the movie started (within 10 minutes ... nice, but...) then all service stopped dead. You could not get anything else you needed (more water, drinks, etc.) I didn't eat all of my $15 fish and chips and wanted a box to take it home and I had to literally carry out my food bowl into the lobby and hunt down a server to ask for a box. Also, we ordered an $18 glass of wine and it came in a plastic cup! Beers come in plastic cups too and water came in a disposable carry out cup with a lid and straw. Really? In such fancy, high class surroundings? I agree, I much prefer AMC Cinema Suites recliners, service and food much more than Cinetopia. The only good thing about the experience was the MOVIE! One Hundred Foot Journey is a MUST SEE! Great Movie!

2  Thank Teri_in_Merriam
There are newer reviews for Cinetopia Overland Park

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Purchased a Groupon and went to see The Hundred Foot Journey. The movie was great, but the experience wasn't that great. We went to the ticket counter inside and I believe the manager waited on us, he helped us right away to get our tickets. When I asked about the concession voucher (which came with the Groupon), he told me I just needed to show my tickets at the concessions. About 20 minutes before our movie started we got in the concession line. 15-20 minutes later we finally reached the front of the line. There was only one person doing the concessions for guest waiting in line. There was a girl behind the counter fiddling with replacing the nacho cheese, she was working on it the entire time, didn't even look to see what kind of line was forming (on one in front of us had ordered nachos). There were a few other employees that come through the concessions to get items for guest already in the theaters. After we finally got to the counter we asked for a small popcorn ($6, which was our full voucher). The employee asked for my voucher, I told him I wasn't given one and was told to just show my tickets. Luckily I kept my Groupon print-out and he took that. The small is very small, like less than the bags you get at your local bank/hardware store! Plus if you want butter, that's $0.75 extra!!! Crazy they charge you for butter. We chose the Parlor experience, once we got to our theater we went in and looked at the seating options, we chose the far back seats against the back wall. That was a bad idea, the seats are very uncomfortable. By the end of the movie we had sore bottoms and were glad to stand up and move around. We noticed that in the Parlor you can order from a menu, the big issue is that once you order (before the movie starts) you have to exit the movie if you want a refill or to order something else (i.e. dessert)! We've been to other theaters with similar experiences, but offer a button to request a waiter. Cinetopia has lots of room for improvement. Right now I wouldn't recommend going, their prices seem to be over priced compared to other theaters and the theater experiences aren't better than the others.

1  Thank Cody S
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had heard mixed reviews of this theater but had an excellent experience. Sat in lounge area with paired leather recliners with built in small tables on the outside of the pairs. Very comfortable and intimate. Perfect for date night. Better than your living room because of being waited on by servers. :)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I expected the prices to be outrageous. (Had to pay 75 cents extra if you wanted butter--seriously?) What was disappointing was walking through pop corn to get to the concessions. There was spilled pop corn all over the floor that could have been swept up since there were no lines at the concessions. When we went into the theater it had not been cleaned yet. Our movie started at 4:30 we got in there a little after 4:00. A little after 4:00 someone started cleaning the theater.

1  Thank LindyluluR
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Went to a movie there on a Friday night and sat in Living Room theater. What's not to like? Electric recliners, a bar, good food, lots of leg room...very comfortable and fun atmosphere.