Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Phoenix, Arizona
“Simple Courtyard but good”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Spent 4 nights here on a business trip. 3rd floor and about as far away from the lobby as you can get. The hotel is straight forward, clean and the staff was friendly. No room service but there is a 'bistro' in the lobby that has a few items made fresh. You can then bring it back to your room. Bed was comfortable and room as nice. There is a Hyatt Place just next door if you like them better. I would come back to this Courtyard and probably will as it is close by the office. Internet was good and even with the free version, I was still able to watch Netflix and AmazonPrime. No need to spend the extra cash on premium.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel while attending a conference. The hotel is located within a very short drive of the Overland Park Conference Center. The hotel staff was consistently friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included in the rate but I'm not sure this is always the case. The rooms were standard Marriott fare and well maintained.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is an OK hotel --- pretty new and relatively nice. I'd normally give it a 4 or even a 5, but their technology is SO BAD I had to stretch to give them a 2.

First there's the lights --- crappy CFLs that barely give off any light at all. I wonder if they've heard of LEDs? I've noticed more and more hotels upgrading to LEDs and I've done so at home. They are a HUGE improvement over those nonsense curly-Q bulbs. #FAIL1

Second --- They've made an effort to add outlets to the bed tables and desk areas, but unfortunately they've (again) cheaped-up and the outlets are sloppy and loose and anything with any weight to it (i.e. a cell phone charger!) won't stay plugged in. #FAIL2

Third --- the Internet speed is barely 1Mbps and they have a "premium" offering at 3Mbps for $5 per day. Premium? Really? A few years ago that may have been acceptable, but today it is NOT. I have 100Mbps at home so I know I'm a bit spoiled, but I still expect at least 5 or 6, and 10 should be their minimum target. #FAIL3

Last --- they have PURPOSELY locked down their LG TV's to disallow use of the HDMI inputs. While I can (barely) understand the rationale for #'s 1, 2, and 3, this action is simply unacceptable. Heck, even the Las Vegas casino hotels and the Disney resort hotels haven't gone THIS far. If the management here really thinks that forcing me to buy the overpriced Lodgenet (now Sonifi) movies they have another think coming. Instead I watched on my laptop while I made plans to NEVER stay here again. #MEGA-FAIL

Management: I'd LOVE to hear an explanation of why you went out of your way to make sure your guests could not use the HDMI inputs on your TV's. I'll bet there are thousands and thousands of other TripAdvisor readers who are also curious.

Waiting for a response .....

gll

Room Tip: Book somewhere else and send these people a message!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
OPCtydManager, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you very much for your candid feedback in regards to my hotel's technology offerings. In regards to our internet speed, our hotel runs on a 100mbs circuit with a limit of 10mbs per connection. In times of high demand, however, the mbs are divided up evenly and you may experience a slower connection. I apologize that you experienced this during your stay. As for the AV inputs on the TV. There are several input options on the LG models. We were only able to have 1 option active when the TV's were installed. I chose the RCA inputs on the side of the TV as those were the more in demand at the time. In response to your review, I have contacted our TV provider to see about having that changed to the HDMI input. Again, I thank you for your feedback and hope that you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to Overland Park.
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this Courtyard Marriott. Convenient to many nearby businesses. Plenty of good restaurants nearby. It doesn't have the same look and feel as most other Courtyards, so it was probably another chains property in a previous life. Dining area was nicely decorated and breakfast food choices were very good and reasonably priced. It was raining during my stay so I didn't use the pool and unfortunately I didn't hit the fitness center which I usually look forward to.

Overall a good experence and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Any 2nd or 3rd floor room is fine as there are no views. If privacy is at all important, avoid outs...
Green Features: They do offer to skip washing towels if you hang them up. I liked that.
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a nice one night stay at this Courtyard Marriott. Convenient to many nearby businesses. Plenty of good restaurants and nightlife areas nearby. Can tell that it was previously some other type of hotel. Has been retrofitted and updated to Courtyard standards but noticed a few old remnants in public spaces. The elevator was still had the original finishes with some thin vinyl tile under foot. Some cracked concrete at entrance also. But overall nicely redecorated and modernized to look like other Courtyards. Didn't check out pool but had a good breakfast in lobby restaurant. No views worth mentioning, stayed on third floor.

Room Tip: Looks like rooms may vary in size but a higher floor won't get you a view of much. Busy street...
Saint Peters
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very nice staff. They allowed us to check in early and check out late. Rooms were very nice. Public spaces were kept clean and were nice. The lobby had a very modern feel to it. Price was reasonable. They do not have free breakfast, and room did not have hair dryer, so that is only draw back. They did get us a hair dryer quickly when we asked for one. It had a nice pool and hot tub area that my son loved. Overall it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing inside courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was very impressed with the Overland Park Marriott Courtyard. The rooms, halls, and lobby were extremely clean. The room had a very modern look to it. There were plenty of very accessible plugs to recharge our phones, laptop, and camera batteries. We used the indoor pool and it was clean with plenty of towels available. The king sized bed was very comfortable and I slept well. There was a pull out couch (or should I say love seat) that will sleep one. It was also comfortable.

If I'm back in the area I would definitely stay there again. I would try to get a room away from the elevator and ice machine (this wasn't a problem for us). We stayed in a room facing Metcalf Ave and we could hear some road noise (especially on a rainy morning). I would try to get a room not facing Metcalf Ave. The noise wasn't bad, as it did not keep me awake.

Some rooms have mini fridges. Unfortunately we could not get one. We had to keep filling our cooler with ice to keep our drinks cold. Wish they had more mini fridges (one for each room). They have free Wi-Fi (slower speed at 1.0 Mbps) in the room. They also have a premium service which I assume is faster, but you need to pay for it.

Helpful Tip for GPS Users: The hotel address is 11301 Metcalf Avenue, which would lead you and your GPS to believe that the entrance is off of Metcalf at 113th street. It is not. You need to turn at 112th street to get to the entrance. There is an island dividing north and south at 113th street so if you are driving southbound the GPS will take you a round about way via 115th street. I found the best address to use is 6920 W 112th St Overland Park.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room away from the elevator and ice machine (this wasn't a problem for us...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lloyd K
OPCtydManager, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Boulevard, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Wow - thank you for the great score and comments!!