“Very nice experience!”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Garwin, Iowa
“Very nice experience!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had a large group of family and friends meet here as a mid-way point for a birthday over a weekend. The breakfast was pretty good but not overly memorable. The evening reception was very good; the drinks and staff were wonderful, the snacks could've been better though. After our room was cleaned Saturday, we noticed they had taken all the towels (not just the wet used towels). It did take 2 calls to get the towels replaced and an extra pillow. We had great service using the free shuttle! Went shopping and to dinner. It would be nice if they went a little farther than the 5miles. At least go to a couple of the more well known BBQ places or Crown Center. But it was Very friendly and timely. The beds were comfortable, the room clean and it was great having two rooms. The pool was very small for having multiple children, would've been ok for just a few adults.. It wasn't a cheap stay, but it was very reasonable for the area. Would we stay again? Yes. Would we recommend it to others? It would depend on the reason for their stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sarah R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-Overland Park, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for sharing a review about your recent stay with us at Embassy Suites Overland Park!! We are happy to hear the shuttle and reception were spot on and helped create a great experience for you!! I would like to encourage you to stop by the desk on your next trip and we can share all the different BBQ joints we go to within the 5 miles, I think you may be surprised! :-) I am so sorry it took more than one call to get your towels and pillows replenished; we strive to complete all calls timely no matter the volume. We are glad to hear that overall it was a good experience and greatly appreciate you sharing the areas of opportunity as we are continuously looking for ways to improve!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years when in Overland Park for business or pleasure. During that time the hotels condition has steadly deteriorated. The Heating and cooling system runs hot and cold with no comfortable temperature maintained. The entire hotel has a very damp and musty smell. The Decor is very dated and worn. As we departed the fifth floor, the elevator stuck with the door not quite shut. We were finally able to get the door open and walk down the fire escape to the first floor. There was no one at the front desk to repeort the problem to, so we left.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was hoping you might have a few additional moments to contact me at the hotel so I can get a few more details about your stay, this would help in resolving a few of the issues you experienced while with us. Please feel free to call the main hotel phone number and ask for the Sarah- thank you again for all of your time.
Wayland, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I usually stay at Hampton Inn hotels. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Reasonable value. Breakfast buffets ok/adequate, but nothing super

On a recent visit to Kansas City area I decided to 'upscale' a bit and stayed at this Embassy Suites rather than the Hampton Inn hotel (which was across the street).

The hotel's internet page indicated it had an indoor pool, and the other features typical of embassy suites (the atrium, cooked breakfast, afternoon receptions) that made me think it would be worth a bit more money on this trip.

Good news: the staff were very very nice and helpful.

Not so impressive: the "pool" was perhaps 10 to 15 feel across? and really only a wading pool for children, not a pool for an adult to swim. The gym was small (2 treadmills plus a few other pieces of equipment), and the tv on one of the treadmills did not work. The tv reception in our room was variable from one station to another. almost looked like old-fashioned rabbit ear attenae picture on some channels. And the frame/molding around the door between the bedroom and bathroom was split and broken. Except for the size of the pool, I would have expected housekeeping staff to have noticed these other problems and brought them to the attention of management

The weekend we visited there were soccer and softball tournaments in the area, The hotel was packed with youth teams, coaches and family members and the hotel quite likely was sold out. But as a result, the breakfast area was very full each morning and the line waiting to have an omelette cooked by the one chef who was working was very long (10-15 customers). I was able to get my breakfast from the buffet stations, eat a relaxed breakfast and leave before the person who would have been in front of me at the omelette line received their cooked meal. Perhaps the hotel should have anticipated the need to have 2 chefs or cooking stations operating that weekend?

One other plus: I did receive by email 3 days after my return a request to complete a survey about my stay. Unfortunately, the survey was only open to receive my comments for 7 days. Completing surveys is not a priority for me after returning from a trip. Might be nice to keep this survey open longer than just 7 days.

Overall: ok stay, but did not meet my expectations for a significantly better experience than at a Hampton Inn. I will return to the Hampton Inn next time

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear the staff left such a great impression on you and your family!! They truly love hearing that feedback. I am sorry for the shortcomings in the pool and your suite!! If you might have just a few minutes I would like to discuss these items further with you. Please call the hotel's main line and ask for Sarah. Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to speaking with you!
Storm Lake, Iowa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I will start with my negatives first. My bed didn't seem like it was cleaned thoroughly. I kept finding random hairs on the sheets and comforter. And then when I pulled the comforter back, I saw a little blood spot on the sheets that looked to be from when someone shaved their legs (and it wasn't me). Also the shower backed up to my ankles while showering. So overall my room experience was very mediocre. However, there was an employee by the name of George, who was the most pleasant and helpful person I have ever had the chance to meet. If you have a chance to enjoy the drink hour, stop by and see him!! The breakfast was wonderful as well. Fresh omelets made to order!!! So while these last two topics helped to make my stay enjoyable, because of the conditions of my room, I have to rate it and average stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Sarah R, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-Overland Park, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear our Bar Staff delivered a great Embassy Suites experience, however I was very concerned to hear of the condition of your suite! If I could have a moment of your time, could you please call the main hotel phone number and ask for Sarah? We should have been able to provide you with a clean and well conditioned suite to mirror your experience with our staff and I would love some additional information so that I can follow up appropriately. Thanks again for the review, I will be sure to express your wonderful comment to George!!
United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I wouldn't go back to this hotel if you paid me to stay there! Although it was nice they had cocktail hour, you can't use that to replace having a decent room. our room smelled as if a million people and stayed there and sweat all over the floor, and rubbed it down with cheap soap.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Casey J- I was disappointed to read on your review that you did not enjoy your stay and was hoping you would have a few moments to elaborate in more detail with me on your experience and room number so that we may address the unpleasant smell you encountered.

Please feel free to reach me at the main hotel phone number, simply ask for Sarah and I would be delighted to take your call for any additional feedback - thank you for all of your time!
Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel last week end while we were in a softball tournament in Olathe KS. We had a great experience at this hotel. They had our room ready when we walked in the door, they reserved our team rooms close together. The free happy hour was great and I am still thinking about the bacon and the made to order omelet station on the free breakfast buffet. The hotel was clean and had security walking around to keep the peace. The hotel is has an open lobby so you can keep an eye on the kids as the run around from room to room. There are great restaurants close by.

Room Tip: All the rooms face in towards the open lobby. All rooms have a double bed in its own room and a pull...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for sharing a review about your recent stay with us at Embassy Suites Overland Park!! We are thrilled it was a great experience for you and the team! We look forward you having you stay with us again soon!
Marshalltown, IA
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights here, very nice place. Great breakfast and evening reception. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. The location is good except when you need to go south on Metcalf which finally realized you can leave from thew back of hotel and get to a intersection that is easier to go south.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us! We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay, our wonderful amenities and staff!! You are right about Metcalf! It can be a little stinker sometimes, the Front Desk has many alternative routes to try to expedite your travesl. We are glad you discoved one of the short cuts, please be sure to check with us on your next stay and we will be happy to direct you the best way! We look forward to your return.