“We loved it and we'll be back!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Wellington, Kansas
“We loved it and we'll be back!”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were very impressed with the Holtze Executive Village in Overland Park! What a very nice place for the price! We took a family trip there, my husband, myself and our 3 year old son, and booked a 1 bedroom suite - the love seat turns into a bed! It was perfect for us! We loved the service, the room, the breakfast, the fountain out front! We missed the cocktail and snacks hour and cookies and milk, but I'm sure it was excellent also! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Go to www.kansascitylodging.com to get a good rate
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We loved the location, within walking distance to Wendy's, and a ton of small restaurants in a strip mall including an italian place, a greek place, a chinese place and a sushi place. breakfast was included but the staff didn't seem capable of keeping up some days. On two of the days they ran short of most things and lines got long. We didn't have the evening meal. The last night there was a huge party at the pool that went late and the kids were super wild throwing stuff in the pool while their parents got drunk so we left but there were plenty of other things to do in the area so it wasn't too bad. They let people stay way later in the pool and make noise late, but we were up late anyway. If you go to bed early I would stay away from the pool facing rooms. Rooms were very clean and made up well. We called the hotel directly to get the same rate we saw advertised online to avoid extra charges we read about in other reviews. Staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool if you want quiet!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Found this hotel on the web as I often look for non-traditional / non-chain type places when we travel. That might sound risky, but I make a point to always follow up on TripAdvisor to see what others have to say. And *WOW*, was it super impressive! The e-mailed confirmation stated that the Holtze is "the hotel you come home to." Well, it surely lived up to that statement, and more. What an excellent establishment - the setup feels like you are staying in an apartment complex where normally one would be paying monthly rent. Our one-bedroom suite was as big as my own single family house! We loved the gas fireplace and the generous space to move around in (not cramped at all). The bathroom towels and bedroom linens were soft and had very good quality. Pillow and mattress were not premium top-of-the line, but it was much more comfortable than I had initially expected and still slept pretty well. The kitchen itself was stocked with all the needed essentials such as cookware, dishes, etc. to prepare a meal, although we were not there long enough to make use of it. This aspect would certainly be welcome if one were to be staying on a long-term basis. The older windows / patio door were a tad difficult to open, but this was really only a very minor issue.

The Holtze is just south of Interstate 435, which makes it easy to access downtown Kansas City and the rest of the highlights that the metropolitan area offers. Do note, however, that the location is in a *very* quiet suburban area surrounded by corporate office parks; you will need a car as there are no restaurants or services adjacent that can be easily walked to. The staff may be able to arrange transportation, however.

It almost feels like I got a deal that I shouldn't have based on the unbelievable low rate for the size of the room and the amenities offered, though we did book over a month and a half in advance. Likely the price will increase again once the economy improves and their targeted high-paying business-traveler demographic returns. That being said, I did feel welcome and comfortable even though I was a leisure traveler. I would happily stay here again if the rate is affordable enough just due to the fact that it was so much better than the average closet-like standard hotel room. I wholeheartedly recommend the Holtze if you are looking for a restful, relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I booked this hotel at the last minute. Within the hour I was at the property. Despite showing a confirmation number, my reservation could not be found and the hotel was oversold. The young lady at the front desk, Ashley was tremendously helpful though she was working alone and admitted that she didn't know much about working the front desk. When I showed her the confirmation # for a King room, she placed a phone call and made sure that I got a room at the rate I booked for. I ended up getting a 1bd suite for the Price of a King.

The hotel was extremely clean. One of the cleanest I have ever seen. The suite was about the size of a 1bd apartment and was very comfy and cozy.

Though the room was great and the service was great the quality of sleep for me wasn't too good. The bed in the room was very saggy and I would roll to the middle every time I got in it to lay down. Unfortunately I ended up sleeping on the couch.

Overall the hotel was great and I would highly recommend it but for me, it would be a last resort due to the bed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Wyoming, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was our second visit to this hotel. The first time was very impressive. The following excerpts were sent to Julie Nilson, director of sales and marketing. She said she would investigate and reply to me latter in the day. To this day, she has not responded, even after I sent another reminder. " We loved your hotel(second visit) and everyone was very polite and courteous throughout our stay. Unfortunately, after paying close to $1000.00 for a five night stay, I would propose to you if you thought it was worth the cost due to the following:
1.Upon arrival, your reservation dept. only had us reserved for a one bedroom suite instead of two bedroom. The maintenance man had to open the adjoining doors. Perhaps, this is why the one room(227) was not touched or cleaned the next day. Room 228 was cleaned. The front desk gave me toiletries that evening.
2. Day 3 of our stay, the room was not cleaned again, towels were left at the front door. That morning, housekeeping came into the room and preceded all the way to the bedroom , where the door was closed and my son was sleeping in the morning. She apologized and immediately left the room. When we arrived back to the rooms late that evening (even though the adjoining room door was open) they did not clean this room. Back down to the front desk again for toiletries! Housekeeping called the next day, after discussing this with the front desk, and explained that there was a "do not disturb" sign on that door and even though we reserved a two bedroom suite, they treat it as two separate rooms.
3. There was a daily inconsistency of missing shampoos, facial cloths. I was very disappointed that housekeeping threw out coffee filters that I had brought with us which were set in the Coffee/sugar kitchen basket. But in the same token, they apparently threw out my personal hair conditioner from the bath shelf but left the adjacent used hotel bar of soap still on the shelf.
4. Each night, when we came back to the hotel, the thermostat was changed and the temperature was in the 60's, thus having to turn the heat on nightly."
It's a shame, this was a very good hotel. I wonder if the owner is aware of this incident?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Festus, Missouri
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We/ve been staying at the Holtze 1 - 2 time a year now for over 6 years. It's a very nice hotel. It's very clean and spacious. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom is large and has very good lighting. We've stayed in the suites and the regular hotel rooms. They're always nice. The breakfast is always very good and is a hot breakfast. The "dining room" is large with lots of tables. We've never been to the evening reception.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed in a one bedroom queen suite. The rooms were clean and spacious. The shower was huge and tall and powerful. There was a full kitchen. The room came with breakfast and evening appetizer social included. The food was actually better than we were expecting. In fact, the appetizers were plenty for dinner. The room came with a fireplace but we never could get it to light. The pool was clean and the water was a great temperature (not cold). The hotel was not near the baseball stadium or most attractions but it did have easy freeway access. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family