“Pleasant Hotel for Business Travelers”

Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania
“Pleasant Hotel for Business Travelers”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night while traveling on business. Booked this hotel based on previous experience with Hyatt Place brand and was very pleased. Hotel and room was very clean and spacious, with some minor wear and tear starting to show (minor scratches on furniture and doors, pool gates could stand to be fixed). Hotel personnel were very friendly and helpful, always greeting you in the lobby and asking if they could do anything to improve your stay. Location is just off College Blvd. in Overland Park. Slept like a baby - I truly do like Hyatt's beds and find them to be the best in the business. Room was very quiet. It was very warm in the Kansas City area when I stayed (100+ Fahrenheit), and the A/C couldn't quite keep up in the common areas (especially the elevators). My room was nice and cool though. Also, there was a very nice complimentary continental breakfast available in the morning. One other minor complaint - the pool looked like it could stand to have a skimmer and vacuum run through it as there were some leaves floating and along the bottom. Again, this is very minor, but would at least help from a presentation aspect. Otherwise, a very nice hotel and I would not hesitate to stay again if I am traveling in the Kansas City area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Reviewed a number of hotels in the Overland Park, KS area and found that the Hyatt Place on Metcalf had some good reviews and it was in the area that we were looking. We reserved a king room for two nights and only stayed one. Thought that a hotel with the "Hyatt" name on it would prove to be a great place to stay but was totally disappointed. The floors in our room were badly stained, there bathroom wasn't cleaned well, there was a lot of dirt and crud in and around the corners of the room. The breakfast was included with the room but found it to be poorly stocked and there were very few places to sit (ended up bringing our food back to our room). When we tried to go the pool, it was locked (past 10 AM that was posted for it to be open). Once they opened the pool, it was in very poor shape. It appeared that the pool and the areas around it hadn't been cleaned or maintained in a while. We didn't stay to try it out. Overall, we were totally disappointed and won't stay at this hotel again. Goes to prove that just because the hotel had the Hyatt name on it, doesn't mean that it's a good hotel. In this case it wasn't.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Place for a two-night work trip and I was pretty impressed with it. I haven't stayed at Hyatts much in the past, but between the big room, good breakfast and free wifi at this hotel, I may have to start staying at them more often! The lobby is nice, clean and very modern-looking at the staff at the front desk were always super-friendly and helpful. I was most impressed by the person I talked to before I even got there because I had to make a separate reservation for my co-worker. As soon as I told him it was a business reservation, he promptly pulled up my existing reservation and offered to copy over all the details to my co-worker's so that she would get the same rate, etc. that I did-great servce! I was surprised at the size of my room, which included both a king-sized bed and a separate living room/seating area and work desk, which made the room feel a lot more homey. The breakfast in the morning was quite good, with a large selection of mostly cold items and pastries, although you could order hot items separately if you wanted to. I would definitely recommend the Hyatt Place Overland Park!

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2010

From the moment I walked in the door, I knew I had selected the right hotel for my trip. I love the fact that they have kiosks where you can check yourself in (just like the airlines) or step up to the counter and enjoy a Starbucks coffee while someone does the work for you.
The rooms are spacious and the internet service is one of the best I've experienced.
Oh, and you have to eat here. While it doesn't appear as though they have a formal restaurant, the food is truly great (not like typical hotel food.)
Thanks for a great experience

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Central Coast, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I really like the room layout in these properties with the L-Shaped sectional living room/work space partioned from the bedroom. And the monster plasma TV is awesome. Had a great experience at check-in and check-out with a gentleman whose name I believe was David. He was appreciative of the business and very helpful. I will certainly return to this property the next time I am in Overland Park. Great experience for $89.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Warrensburg, Missouri
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Was in KC for 3 days for personal reasons, and opted for the Hyatt Place, based partly on the reviews here on Trip Advisor, as I've never stayed in a Hyatt Place previously.....excellent choice. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms....are roomy, especially if you're on your own. There's no restaurant, per sa, but the on-site "cafe" serves up quite a tasty selection of fresh options, not microwave junk, they also have a good selection of beers (Heineken, my preference, but the have others), and also wines, for those who prefer a non-Heineken option. Hotel stay was absolutely quiet and enjoyable.
One note of "caution", not hotel related.....the highway system at the south end of Kansas City.....is massive. Mostly 6 or 8 lanes (in each direction), highway interchanges, and lots of traffic, mostly moving along smoothly. The last night I was there, was returning from Warrensburg, after dark....and raining. First thing I noticed......NO LIGHTS... on the highway. Second thing......NO reflective markers on the lane dividers. So picture this...dark, no lighting...raining, so the road surface was reflecting the lights of all the traffic....6 or 8 lanes worth...and you can no longer see the painted lane dividers as a result....death wish comes to mind....."Please, God, let me make it to the Metcalf exit....without dying".......

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
St. Louis
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We stayed here with a group of teenage boys for a sports tournament. It was perfect for sleeping kids on the sofa beds in the king rooms. Nice hotel with small eating options and a bar in the lobby. Location was right off the I-435 beltway south of KCity. Lots of shopping and nearby restaurants (Jack Stacks BBQ is just up Metcalfe Rd). The first thing the boys noticed when we walked into our room was the big flatscreen television.

• Stayed May 2009