“Nice for the price”

Lamplighter Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Pittsburg
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Very nice for the price. Room was clean and quiet. Nice to have a refridgerator. Good breakfast variety not just stale rolls. A little disappointed the bar wasn't open. Very friendly staff. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kelly M
Tammy W, Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am glad we met your expectations of a clean and quiet room. I hope to see you when you come and visit our hotel again. If there is anything you need, please don’t hesitate to let our staff know and we will do all we can to make your stay enjoyable.

I hope to see you again on your return trip to Pittsburg, KS. Let me know if we can do anything to improve on you stays with us.

Tammy Wilcox
Front desk manager
Lamplighter Inn and Suites, Pittsburg, KS

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I just recently visited Pittsburg State University on a college visit for my son and stayed at the Lamplighter Inn & Suites. I must say that the experience was excellent. The staff was great, the breakfast was very good with a lot to choose from, the bar was nice, and the whirlpool was just what I needed. I work for the same railroad that stays at the location, Kansas City Southern and I an so envious of the location they have there compared to what I have in Shreveport. I would definitely recommend this location to anyone needing a nice quality place to stay with an awesome staff......

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Douglas E
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review! We have a great staff of people working for the Lamplighter Inn. We have a full, hot breakfast that is awesome and Mulligans is open every night but Sunday. We look forward to having you come back and see us again!

Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was the only hotel available in town when we were passing through on our way home from Branson. The property is a bit dated but the rooms were decent. Room was clean. TV had multiple HBO stations which was nice since there wasn't anything else to do. Fitness center was circa 1970s with poor quality equipment. I actually skipped my daily workout during my stay, which was very disappointing. We had asked for a main floor entry room due to my elderly mother travelling with us, however we were placed on top floor with no elevator in sight. Stairs were concrete and stairs had pizza crusts tossed on them during our stay and housekeeping never cleaned it up. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay. Breakfast was awesome! Cinnamon rolls, biscuits and gravy, bottled water, fruit, oatmeal, cereals, pastries, eggs, sausage...we left feeling very full for our trip home. I think the property is probably doing the best they can given the age of the building. I felt $80+ was a bit steep for the quality we received but with a football game in town, we were left with little options, even reserving several weeks in advance. Personally, I would probably not choose to stay here again, although I think its a decent place if you need a quick bed and some breakfast while travelling through town.

Room Tip: you have to pay $10 more to have a room with interior entry which we found to be in the south 40 and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Tammy W, Front Office Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry your stay wasn't as you expected. We took note of your comments and we are currently renovating our rooms. We are excited to be getting the remodeling! I'm glad you enjoyed our breakfast! I do apologize for the condition of our hallways and stairs. It is unacceptable and we addressed the matter with housekeeping and it won't happen again. I hope you give us another try when you are back this way. Thank you again for commenting on our hotel.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed in several motels in Pittsburg, since my son attends college there. This is the best experience my husband and I had during our stays in Pittsburg. Friendly staff, clean, good breakfast and updated rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for the wonderful review of the Lamplighter! I am glad you had a great experience with us! We are just completing our remodeling and hope you come back soon and check out our newly updated rooms! Thank you again for staying with us and commenting on our hotel!

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed here in the summer of 2011. I enjoyed it enough to return this summer. I wasn't as impressed this time. The motel seems to be going downhill.
The overall cleanliness was pretty good, and the staff was friendly. But at the end of my stay there were guests a few doors down who virtually took over the pool, were loud and used a lot of profanity; partied hard and put their overflowing trash outside their rooms where the wind could blow it around. No one did anything to tone them down or deal with the trash, even after complaining about it. The trash was still there when I left the next morning.
I was also disappointed to discover the jacuzzi was out of order, one thing I was looking forward to using. The pop machine near my room remained out of order the whole time, too. And there was no sign on the machine to warn me and I lost money in it, so I had to find someone to get it back.
I don't think I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank VSAndersen

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I apologize that your stay wasn't as good as your other visits. We are answering the reviews by remodeling and updating our hotel. We are excited for this remodel and we have new carpet in the rooms! I apologize for the guests being so loud and messy. We should have quieted them down and took care of the trash sooner. Our jacuzzi is now working and the pop machine is fixed. I hope you give us another chance to make it up to you for your last stay. We have many exciting updates and our staff is aware of the importance of taking care of complaints quickly. Thank you again for your comments. It gives us an opportunity for improvement.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Service - I walked in yesterday after a very long drive and was very tired. While checking me in the front desk employee was said "I'll do this if it gets you to smile"? Are you serious? Who says that?

Later on, the bartender at the hotel bar was additionally too busy to take my drink order right away (despite the whopping 3 people in the bar at the time). Why? Because she was on the phone talking with her boy/girlfriend about her hurt feelings.

At check out, there were two people working the front desk. One woman was too busy flirting with another patron and ignored the line, the other was overworked and was really nasty.

Service Grade = F

Facilities -

I love how the cleaning staff takes smoke breaks around the doors to the non-smoking rooms. Smoke travels.

The rooms are 1991 magic (and haven't been updated since). There are sizeable amounts of mold above the ceiling tiles in the bathroom. No wonder I coughed all night.

The room smells like mold/mildew/funk, and I literally was afraid to touch the remote control because it had some crusted junk on it...ew..

Epic fail, this hotel needs to be completely overhauled, I should've stayed at the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank NoBedBugsEver
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I've been staying in Pittsburg for over 20 years, and in that time I think I've stayed at every property in town. But this is the place I keep coming back to. Manager Patty Mason does an outstanding job with an older property - simply the best value in town. Rooms are clean, prices are low, and they offer two newspapers, a hot breakfast, and a free buffet on Tuesday nights. It's not fancy, but it's a good night's sleep at a more than fair price. They have a bar, and meeting rooms, but no restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are quieter, and a few have a small patio facing the pool if you've got kids.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business