“Fantastic!”

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As others have stated, the road is rough. You will be traveling by dirt road for a large portion of the trip there. We were able to make it up in a Honda but it probably would have been loads easier with a car with more ground clearance. We happened also to go when it was dry, if it have been wet we probably wouldn't have made it up. It was well worth the trip though. Castle Rock stands by itself but what I think is more impressive is the Castle Rock badlands right by. I would recommend that small children be very closely watched as there are steep cliffs and no railings. Go up to the top provides wonderful panoramic views of Kansas. It is worth another trip!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Spacescoob

Lawrence, Kansas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Castle Rock”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I had a real surprise in store when I left the interstate and found myself traveling on dusty gravel roads for 25 miles. From the satellite view, Castle Rock Road looked paved! I was able to find very specific directions online, and used my trip odometer to anticipate the turns. I went in the early morning, which proved to be a winner for picture taking. Castle Rock itself sits in a small bowl behind the bluffs. The final stretch of dirt road, on private land, is very bumpy in a passenger car. When I passed over the cattle grate, I had a choice of going around the bluff to the right, or taking the better road to the left. I believe only a high clearance 4WD vehicle could have handled the road circling the bluff to the right. An older washed-out track runs adjacent to the current tire treads. Online directions said it was impassible in rain, and I could see where previous visitors had spun out. Recommend visitors pick up any trash/debris left behind by previous discourteous visitors. If you have to choose between visiting Castle Rock or visiting Monument Rocks, I found the access to Monument Rocks to be much easier, and there were more picture-taking opportunities in the morning and evening.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Janice S
Pearland, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“In KS do a day trip”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The road to get there are rough. I would recommend a high up SUV and a 4 wheel drive vehicle if any mud are there. 'We took both trails. The one to the left takes you to the lower grounds and the one to the right to the top of the grounds. If your confident your vehicle can handle it, go and take in the beauty. If you're not in a hurry go and see Monument Rocks South of Quintan. There is a window arch that won't last forever.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank txtoks
Goodland, Kansas, United States
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Rough road, but worth the trip”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

A previous poster said that part of the rock has fallen off. That's true, but it's still worth seeing. Better still are the Castle Rock Badlands to the south of the rock. The rock stands alone with a ring road around it. Make sure to take the road to the overlook, although I found it best to park before I reached the top and walk the rest of the way. The other roads will take you into the badlands.

Do not take a low-clearance vehicle here. The "road" network is more like an off-road vehicle trail. I was driving a light pickup and at one point I nearly high centered. I had to drive in first or second gear the entire time. Stay away if rain has fallen recently as the trails will turn into mire.

The badlands are a fun hike. In the summer, bring water because temperatures can be high and shade is sparse. I wore a hydration pack and drank half the water in two hours. The wind blew so strongly that I could not wear my usual broad-brimmed hat or a baseball cap. My trekking poles also came in handy. The area around the rock is used as cow pasture, so beware of cow patties, especially fresh ones.

This is private property, so please respect it.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Roxie1203
Centralia, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a blast!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My wife and I LOVE Kansas, which is considered a crime in Missouri. Traveling west on I-70 in our 2007 Volvo (which sits low to the ground), we saw the sign to Castle Rock and decided to take it in. We took the dirt road south, turned onto the dirt road heading back east, and then took the "dirt road" -- which is more of a cow path -- across the cattle guard and went as far as we could. That's when the real fun began. The cow path deteriorates into little more than a walking trail. There was no way our car could make it, so we got out and walked. My wife was convinced that I was going to be bitten by a rattlesnake, and was trying to devise a plan to get me out of there. Saw nothing more than a few harmless lizards. It looked like no one else had ever been out there. LOVED IT--TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

Visited July 2012