“Very cool diversion from the monotony of the Kansas highway!”
Review of Castle Rock

Castle Rock
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Quinter
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Very cool diversion from the monotony of the Kansas highway! My boys and I loved this remote site. It's abt 20miles off the highway on a dirt road. It is accessible by car for the most part. There's not another soul in site. So cool.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"wonders"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I was driving along I-70 and was told about Castle Rock. I put it in my GPS (I would not have been able to find it otherwise) and ignored the warnings about bringing a car there. It was quite a ways down some dirt roads before I finally got to the property. At that time, I hit a fairly large, sharp rock and it took a good sized chunck out of my tires, but it was worth it.
We were the only ones there the few hours that we stayed and drove all around the cliff face, Castle Rock, and the nearby badlands. It was an amazing location just smack out in the middle of nowhere. I was lucky I was still able to drive on my tires because I dont think a spare would have lasted long on those roads.
Ever since I have been there, I have recommended to both friends and co-workers to check it out.

1  Thank Ryan C
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As others have stated, the road is rough. You will be traveling by dirt road for a large portion of the trip there. We were able to make it up in a Honda but it probably would have been loads easier with a car with more ground clearance. We happened also to go when it was dry, if it have been wet we probably wouldn't have made it up. It was well worth the trip though. Castle Rock stands by itself but what I think is more impressive is the Castle Rock badlands right by. I would recommend that small children be very closely watched as there are steep cliffs and no railings. Go up to the top provides wonderful panoramic views of Kansas. It is worth another trip!

1  Thank Spacescoob
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I had a real surprise in store when I left the interstate and found myself traveling on dusty gravel roads for 25 miles. From the satellite view, Castle Rock Road looked paved! I was able to find very specific directions online, and used my trip odometer to anticipate the turns. I went in the early morning, which proved to be a winner for picture taking. Castle Rock itself sits in a small bowl behind the bluffs. The final stretch of dirt road, on private land, is very bumpy in a passenger car. When I passed over the cattle grate, I had a choice of going around the bluff to the right, or taking the better road to the left. I believe only a high clearance 4WD vehicle could have handled the road circling the bluff to the right. An older washed-out track runs adjacent to the current tire treads. Online directions said it was impassible in rain, and I could see where previous visitors had spun out. Recommend visitors pick up any trash/debris left behind by previous discourteous visitors. If you have to choose between visiting Castle Rock or visiting Monument Rocks, I found the access to Monument Rocks to be much easier, and there were more picture-taking opportunities in the morning and evening.

4  Thank Janice S
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The road to get there are rough. I would recommend a high up SUV and a 4 wheel drive vehicle if any mud are there. 'We took both trails. The one to the left takes you to the lower grounds and the one to the right to the top of the grounds. If your confident your vehicle can handle it, go and take in the beauty. If you're not in a hurry go and see Monument Rocks South of Quintan. There is a window arch that won't last forever.

1  Thank txtoks

Been to Castle Rock? Share your experiences!