Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Worth a visit

There is a car park near the entrance to the grounds but there is quite a steep hill to walk up to... read more

Reviewed 28 September 2018
Maria C
Loughton, United Kingdom
via mobile
This is a must visit day out

We booked our tickets on line which was simple and straight forward. On arrival there was loads of... read more

Reviewed 23 October 2018
doubledekker1
Tamworth, United Kingdom

All reviews guided tour tea room stately home gardens are lovely steep climb afternoon tea wedding venue ask questions yew tree walk around bank holiday scones cream tea on arrival free entry free flow duke
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

My mum and I visited Belvoir Castle today and after encountering a lady with 2 small dogs which came happily running up to us tails wagging, this lady rudely and abruptly said “dogs come here and instructed us not to touch the dogs they are not part of today’s entertainment “ this lady was either staff or hopefully not part of the castle family. My mum and I turned and walked away disgusted to how this woman spoke to us. Dispite this my mother and I enjoyed our visit the castle and grounds are lovely

1  Thank dgarf63
Reviewed 28 August 2018

What a place! WONDERFUL - expected it to be full of people (especially on a sunny BH) - but no - it was great. The staff / escorts (if you had a guided tour) were knowledgeable (as you'd expect) and very expertise as well as being thoughtful and courteous/amusing.
The small Tea Room is a must! - even if "slightly" slow in obtaining a table (but this down to the popularity) - speed aside, the light refreshments and service were great!
The stately home/castle is a real gem in Leicestershire - well worth a visit
Extra special mention of John, one of the staff, who be-friended us and provided some real and genuine and personal pieces of local knowledge and insight - he certainly went beyond what we might have hoped for - making a great excursion into a very memorable and excellent day-out - Thank You John!

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Well worth a visit for all ages and staff were informative and welcoming certainly intend to visit again

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 20 August 2018

The visit of the castle was very interesting. I liked the authentic aspect of the rooms and furniture. Maybe not the most impressive castle/house to visit. But I thoroughly enjoyed it because it is different. This castle has its own style and cachet. (For example, in the same area, Burgley House in Stamford is very nice, but it lacks personality).

The BIG negative point was the tea room. The food is just average. And if you have food allergies, be careful! I am gluten intolerant and thus asked for the gluten free salmon salad. The salad came with gluten free bread (nothing fancy, just 2 slices of Genius triple seeded), but there was also a bit of couscous tabbouleh (made with wheat semolina - i.e. grains containing gluten.) I am glad I saw it before eating the plate.

I have rated only the castle in my review, and not the tea room. Otherwise, I would have given only 2 stars.

3  Thank vglarde
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Lots to see and do though you do need to be fairly fit, even to walk from the kiosk up to the castle.
Great for walkers, plenty of good paths and choice of routes but the markers for the longer "black walk" seemed to have been removed halfway round and we decided to backtrack rather than get lost on what was quite a hot day.
Lovely gardens and views over the estate .
The castle was very impressive, lots to see and enjoy. There is the choice of freeflow or a guided tour - a guided tour for a small additional charge is recommended for a first visit.
Initially it wasn't clear that the cafe and toilets were accessed within the castle entrance - a sign near the entrance would be helpful for first-time visitors. The cafe was nice with friendly and helpful staff. Our only negative comment would be the £7 charge for a pot of tea for two - ouch ! Not so bad for us because we had free entry through our Historic Houses membership - membership very highly recommended.
In summary, a great day out in a lovely area.