“Wonderful house and service”
Review of Vale House Belvoir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belvoir
Vale House Belvoir
Ranked #1 of 1 Belvoir B&B and Inns
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Wonderful house and service”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Myself and my husband together with my brother and sister in law are just back from our stay at Vale House.
We had a wonderful time the accommodation was excellent and the welcoming and friendly nature of both Lara and Nigel was much appreciated.
Our breakfast was excellent and the tea coffee etc in our room was very generous.
We felt so at home having the use of the very comfortable lounge.
We would recommend a stay there to all our friends and family and hope to return soon.
I find some of the negative reviews very hard to believe as could find no fault at all.
Well done Lara and Nigel.
Jane

Room Tip: All rooms looked lovely
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Halesworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently stayed at Vale House, and we have nothing but praise for not only the accommodation, but for the owners themselves who were fabulous. The breakfast was as good as any we have experienced, so we are not surprised to see an AA certificate for 2014 for breakfast quality. We highly recommend you try it out yourselves.

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have read with interest the many reviews of this venue and agree that it is in the most lovely spot and the rooms are very nicely furnished, perhaps with the exception of the room at the very top of the house which is very small and dark, However, as Helen has stated below the hospitality was seriously lacking in warmth on the weekend we were there. It seems most people stay in the yurts for their hen weekends and take their activities offsite whereas we took over the whole house for the weekend which clearly does not work well when there are 2 very young children wandering around and waking us up at 6 o'clock in the morning. Nigel was nowhere to be seen. Communication before we arrived was very poor and our itinerary was constantly being changed. It would have taken a lot to spoil the weekend as this group of friends will make the best of any situation and I do think to some extent we were unlucky but it's a lot of money to pay for far less than perfect. The best thing about the venue was the breakfast and the staff who served it.

Room Tip: Avoid the room at the top of the house. Very small single beds under eaves and very dark.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Catie H
Vale_House_Belvoir, Owner at Vale House Belvoir, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It is disappointing to receive a poor review although following the email we received from Helen indicating that several of your group would post negative reviews, we are not surprised. One of the risks a small business like ours runs when being on a site like TripAdvisor is that when large groups such as yours stays, the sheer weight of numbers of people agreeing to post negative reviews can have a detrimental effect on the otherwise positive reviews and ratings that we have received both before and after your party stayed with us. In response to your specific comments, yes the Melton Room is an attic room (as indicated on our website) and can be dark depending upon the weather. As my children and I don't live at Vale House and were not actually in the corridor until 8.15am that morning, having arrived at 8am to prepare and serve the 8.30am breakfast, I'm not sure whose children it was that you heard at 6am. Our housekeeper did mention someone's request to "keep 'it' quiet" referring to my 2 year old and this was at 8.20am. Nigel was present for the initial part of the weekend and not the remainder for personal reasons. In terms of the poor communication you refer to, I believe I have addressed that in my response to Helen below. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and also that the bride to be had a lovely weekend. I am happy to discuss this further via telephone or email and trust that any further concerns or comments that your party have can be addressed directly with me or the Vale House Team. Thank you.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for just one night and it was fantastic. Lara made us feel very welcome in her beautiful house. We enjoyed a cup of tea in the sunshine, whilst relaxing in the lovely lounge, admiring the beautiful views. Sylvia made us a gorgeous breakfast in the morning. I especially loved the fresh fruit salad. I wish we could of stayed longer and we hope to return one day. Thanks very much. Love Graham and Tracey.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here on the 16th-18th May and I am wasting no time leaving a review because we had such an amazing experience!

The tents are a great size with quirky furniture and the beds were so comfy with plenty of blankets to keep us warm. The outdoor seating area was perfect as the weather was beautiful, but there is a summer house if the weather isn’t so good.

The location in general is gorgeous. You can see Belvoir Castle up in the distance as you get closer to Vale House. We chose the Treasure Chase for a Saturday activity. It was such good fun and it gave us the opportunity to explore the surrounding villages.

Great value for money for what you receive. The 2 course meal we had at the Chequers Inn was lovely and they had an extensive drinks menu, including cocktails. The breakfast hampers we received in the mornings were great too. The best thing was there was no stress. We arrived and everything was set up and organised so all we had to do was relax and enjoy ourselves. Towels are provided as is the use of a fridge.

Overall, there is really nothing negative to say about the place and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Everything ran so smoothly. The comment below confuses me as I don’t think Nigel and Lara could have been more welcoming! We really couldn’t have asked for a better weekend. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here on a late booking a couple of weekends ago with our two children (8 & 6) - we have family in Grantham, but the house was full so we thought we'd stay nearby and this looked like a fun option.

The yurt/bell tent was lovely and comfortable - proper double bed for us and good quality camp/ Z beds for the children with decent mattresses. Location was lovely, right by the main entrance of Belvoir Castle - the field with the tents has fantastic views. The breakfast delivery to the tent flap was a great touch, and both the toilet and shower room were warm and spotlessly clean (they are part of the main house - not in a stand-alone block).

In short - faultless! And the kids loved it.

We'll very happily return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We chose Vale House to celebrate my sister's hen do and it was in a beautiful location. 18 of us stayed in the large house which was well equipped with all we needed. The beds were lovely and comfy and all rooms were clean and luxurious. The lounge was very spacious and perfect for our large group, the highlight being the open fire which was very cosy. The two breakfasts that we had provided to us were delicious!
Contrary to recent reviews however the hospitality that we received was very poor. In trying to organise this weekend, the host was very unorganised and changed what she had agreed to several times. While we were there she was not welcoming to us and made us feel quite uncomfortable at times. We didn't feel it was appropriate for her to have her two very young children in tow when running a hen weekend.
Our party still enjoyed themselves as we are a close group of friends who stay away together quite frequently. Most importantly my sister had a fun and memorable hen do.
I hope for the sake of the hosts that this was a one off bad experience as it is the perfect venue and set up for a great hen weekend. Having paid in excess of £3,500, I wouldn't however recommend Vale House to a hen party unless the hospitality improved.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HelenEG1982
Vale_House_Belvoir, Owner at Vale House Belvoir, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Helen

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for Vale House Belvoir. Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us and, as is reflected in the other reviews we have received, we always strive for guest expectations to be met (or exceeded). I apologise that you do not feel that this happened during your stay with us for the occasion of your sister's hen do. We are pleased to hear that even though things didn't go as you had hoped, a good time was still had by all and that you enjoyed the rooms, the location and the breakfast.

Based on your comments, and those outlined in your email correspondence with us, we have implemented the following procedures to ensure that future travellers know that wonderful comfortable rooms, delicious breakfasts, remarkable hospitality, friendly service and flexibility are among our top priorities.

1. Confirmation that unless an earlier time is agreed in advance, we welcome our guests from 3pm and not before as this is when we can be assured that childcare arrangements are in place for my young family. Similarly, childcare arrangements are now in place for breakfast service so that my toddler doesn't unwittingly disturb our guests by venturing out into the hallway.
2. We arrange a vast array of activities both on site at Vale House and at external venues. Given the frequently changing nature of the required activities / timings / and individual preferences for each group, we will provide each guest with an itinerary to supplement both the itinerary we send the host and the one that we have posted up for our team to ensure the smooth running of weekends such as yours. This will also mean clarity of where each activity is held for everyone - from guests, to our team to the taxi drivers who provide the transport.

Thank you once again for providing your review. This, along with the feedback you provided in your email correspondence will enable us to continue to improve the guest experience we offer here at Vale House Belvoir.

I am happy to discuss this further and can be reached on 01476879365.

Kind regards
Lara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belvoir
Urban Hotel Grantham
The Paddock at Peacock Farm
The Cholmeley Arms
The Cholmeley Arms
#2 of 18 in Grantham

Been to Vale House Belvoir? Share your experiences!