Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Salina
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This may be the most poorly run hotel at which I've ever stayed. I booked a room with a hot tub for a weekend with my wife. When we arrived at the hotel, my registration was already completed for me and the keys were waiting for me. However this was not a sign of good things to come. We took the keys to our assigned room and tried to open the door. That's when we found that someone else was already in the room. It is terribly embarrassing to just walk into someone's hotel room and the people in the room could not have been happy either. The hotel eventually found us another room. Of course with no hot tub. I spoke with the manager the next morning and she assured me that the room we originally booked would be cleaned very soon and that they would call us and let us know when we could move. No apologies for the fiasco when we checked in. We went to breakfast and came back but the room wasn't ready. We did some shopping and ate lunch. Came back after 1 and the room still wasn't ready. We sat in the room we had been given until 4 when I went back to front desk and was told that our original room was now clean and that they would have called us but they had been busy. We moved our belongings and turned on the water for our long awaited soak in the hot tub. And we found... NO HOT WATER! We were given multiple explanations and excuses and told that the problem may have been our fault because we didn't let it run long enough. Ultimately there was never any hot water Even after the woman at the desk consulted with the manager, the only solution seemed for her to keep hitting the reset button. When we checked out the next morning the manager seemed surprised that there was no hot water. She reduced the bill to the regular room rate rather than the rate of the hot tub room, but there was no consideration of further discounts or any interest in making things right for such a miserable stay. Like the previous review. If I could give a score lower than 1, I would gladly do so.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 August 2013

The hotel is very remote, but close to the newest part of Salina. The room was comfortable, the bed provided a good nights rest and the bathroom facilities were good. The continental breakfast was good and adequate. The workers were friendly and made sure your stay was a good one.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I travel for business and reserved my room via choicehotels.com. First of all the hotel is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. I pull in and you van see where somebody had been pulling weeds and just through them in the middle of the parking lot. They had been there awhile. Check in was slow, even though there was no one ahead of me. The room was relatively clean other than someone's leftovers in the fridge... Breakfast was spartan, some dry looking bread and a mini fridge with some yogurt in it. You could see where there was a spaces for other items but they were not out. (7AM) The worst was yet to I checked out at shortly after 7. Got my receipt and away I went. Fast forward a week later. I am checking my online receipts and find that they billed me for an additional night after I left. No worries, everyone makes mistakes. I called the hotel and there was no answer, numerous calls over the next couple hours and I finally spoke to someone. The woman did not instill much confidence in me. She could not find that I had ever stayed there. She finally found me and stated she would probably just email her boss.. Click, she was gone! Never having verified any contact information. So I emailed choicehotels.com and they responded quickly that it was a local issue and I would need to contact the hotel.

The next morning, once again after numerous calls, I finally got a person on the phone. I asked for a manager, she asked who I was and why I was calling. After a significant time on hold, she came back and told me it was addressed and my card credited. Click, no apology nothing...

If I could give this place a negative score, I would.

Room Tip: Don't stay here...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am a diamond member for choice hotels and they totally messed up my reservation for a handicap room on the bottom floor. I was told that I would have a main level, for my handicap friends on the 1st floor. They had no bottom floor room available for handicap we when arrived hours later! They could of called me as they took my room fir others. Don't trust choice reservations staff and this location as well! They only tell you want you want to hear. Very disappointed!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This was our third time to stay at this location. It has always been quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff is usually friendly.

The pool is not huge but big enough for our family to enjoy after a long day of driving.

Breakfast is typical 'continental style' and it has some hot items: waffles, sausage links, biscuits and gravy were on the menu today.

We had the shower-only room which is ok but as other review noted, poor design makes it flood the bathroom floor. I chewed out my son for getting water all over the floor. He then showed me that it wasn't his fault as the shower curtain goes outside the shower area... Other than that, no issues.

Room Tip: East side rooms are away from the interstate.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The Sleep Inn and Suites is clean, comfortable and I would recommend to anyone traveling or on business. Guest laundry is very good, room had comfortable chair for relaxing and also for working at desk. We didn't do the hotel breakfast but it was comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I was on a trip to take my mother to her brother's funeral in Denver. I wanted reservations for Friday night, June 7th and I wanted a Sleep Inn so Mom wouldn't have to step in and out of a tub. I called and told them I stayed two nights to get the third night free, as per the promotion. She said that meant I had 8000 points and many Sleep Inns give a free room at 8000 but, sadly, this place needed 10,000 points for a free room. I explained the trip and asked how close they were to I-70 and she told me "just down I-135 a little bit". Coming home I took the I-135 exit and my Garmin told me "7 miles". So basically, I went 14 miles out of my way to get there. I tried to check in and that took over 15 minutes. Finally got to Mom's room and it just REEKED of burnt popcorn. I took the microwave back to the front desk. Hotel was full so no other rooms. The next morning there was no hot water. I could go on but you get the picture. And it had a tub to instead of shower anyway!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family