“Nice Surprise”

The Inn at Tallgrass
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I needed a place to stay on short notice and this place was much cheaper than the name brand hotel across the street. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. As soon as I checked in they had a kick back hour where they had drinks and hot wings for free. The place looked like an old apartment complex they turned into a hotel. If you ever needed a long term stay this would be the place.
The place was a little dated and looked a little dingy even though I think it was clean. The sheets made me itchy but that could just be me. Breakfast was good too with a nice ham and egg casserole.
Overall very pleased.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank aj_qwert

Reviewed 1 November 2009

I came here after staying in another hotel for two nights on recommendation from another contractor at the company I was helping. Like other reviews have said, the place is old, but the bathrooms at least were recently renovated and the living rooms are massive enough to entertain (if I were going to). The full kitchen is dated but spacious and functional, the flat screen TV is pretty awesome, and the bedroom is comfy. The only reason I give the rooms 3 bubbles instead of 5 is because there are two windows, and they both look directly at the bed. It might just be me, but being on the ground floor, I don't really want to open my curtains so weirdos can look at my bed.

All in all, I would recommend staying at this hotel for a long or short amount of time. The staff is helpful and quick, and everything else is top notch. And negotiate a rate - they came down quite a bit for us!

Also, they don't have a gym on the premises so they give you a guest membership to the health club across the street. Everyone at the gym is great too, and they're more than helpful to people who've never been there before and need assistance. You just go to the desk and get a one day pass, so easy!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ajurkash
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Let's cut to the chase.
The place is clean, staff are friendly, price is average, but you do get a lot for the dollar really. I have stayed at quite a few different extended stay locations in Wichita, but enjoy Tallgrass. For long stays it fits the bill.
Pros:
1) Clean. They change towels, bedding etc. daily. Not all extended stays chains do.
2) Internet. Wireless connection works great everywhere....and I mean everywhere. I enjoyed my weekend morning coffees on the private patios reading the news online with a strong signal.
3) Roomy. I like having a separate room to sleep in, and the extra tv in the bedroom is nice too.
4) Private patio. If you can get a suite overlooking the golf course it makes for a nice peaceful setting.
5) Fitness. Access to the best fitness club chain in Wichita; Genesis Health Clubs
6) Complementary breakfast. It is what it is...coffee, juice etc....fruit, cereals, bagels, yogurt...good enough.
7) Location. Lots of good stuff within walking distance and even more just minutes away. Marginally far from Mid Continent Airport but is only about 20 minutes away.

Cons:
Dated.....borderline old. The place was probably built in the late 70s or early 80s. It's time for an overhaul. Let me remind you it's clean....just old. Nothing some new draperies, carpet, paint and fixtures couldn't correct.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Ianman67
Reviewed 13 May 2009

The staff was friendly and attentive, the location was fabulous with everything nearby, but the room was very quiet and comfortable. Definitely would return.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2008

We stayed one night at this unique hotel but wished it were longer! It looks as though they used to be apartments. Consequently, the rooms are huge! We were given a complimentary upgrade to the middle size, which was a nearly 800 sq. ft. suite. There is a full kitchen, including oven and dishwasher. There is also a patio or balcony with chairs and a small table. This was not the most elegant place I have ever stayed, but it was definitely the cleanest with the most room. Everything was spotless! The breakfast was the only weak link, as it was just some cereal and breads. However, it was included in the price of the room. The staff was courteous and friendly. We will definitely stay here again if we ever need a place in Wichita.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank julntx
Reviewed 30 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to where I was doing business. It is a typical long-stay hotel with 7 two-story buildings. My room was good size and generally clean. The finishes in the room were dated, but overall the room was good. Free wireless internet is in the room, and I had a good connection.

A typical continental breakfast is served in the main clubhouse building. I guess they cook eggs, but I didn't have any.

The hotel appears to be in a good neighborhood, which seems rare in Wichita. You are also within 2 miles of acouple dozen decent restaurants.

Overall, this was a good stay, but probably more expensive then the worth. However, from what I've read of Wichita hotels, this seems like one of the best.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank spoons99
Reviewed 24 February 2007

I stayed at the Inn at Tallgrass for 7 months with my wife and three children while our house was being repaired due to a tragedy. I could not have picked a better place to stay. The front desk employees were the nicest people. Jan, who sets up breakfast during the week and her daughter Danette who runs the happy hour are wonderful. We got to know the housekeepers. They went overboard to help us out in our time of need and made us and our dog feel very welcome. It was a blessing to have this home away from home. Thank you.

Stayed: February 2007