“A great find”

Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Nashville, Tennessee
“A great find”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I along with our two dogs stayed at Hotel At WaterWalk during our trip across the country. I was extremely pleased with the cleanliness, amenities, and overall experience. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My wife and I went to WSU many years ago, live in LA now. I needed to be in Wichita for a golf tournament, and we wanted a place central to visit the local attractions (Botanical Gardens, Museums, Exploration Place, Old Town), but also wanted a place to relax and renew our love. It was a great spot to enjoy these things and more...outdoor pool, afternoon bar, shuttle service to hotspots, and the room was very nice and boutique style.
We especially loved going to the included breakfast - Michelle, our server, was the best! My wife and her hit if off immediately, made us feel right at home.

Room Tip: We looked at all available packages - the loft is perfect if you're traveling with kids or anoth...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LA_Guy_412
Kansas
Reviewed 26 August 2012

What a treat! My husband and I stayed one night to celebrate our anniversary. When we walked in we were so impressed! It was more like a beautiful studio apartment than a hotel room. My husband asked me, "how much was this?" We felt like it was a steal for $80! He also said it looked like a picture in a magazine. We used the shuttle service and that was great too! When we got back to the hotel around 11 we decided to check out the Kareoke bar and had a great end to our night! The drinks were great and the bar snacks hit the spot! The breakfast the next morning rocked. Lots of fresh fruit and a great spread of breakfast foods. I loved that they offered TLC muffins (a great local muffin shop). Again, I feel like we got a steal of a deal on this stay. We got so much more than just a place to sleep it was a wonderful experience. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blondebombshell_83
Christine711smain, Manager at Hotel At WaterWalk, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Congratulations on your anniversary! We are so excited you chose our hotel to celebrate and are glad we were able to help make it special. We are very invested in promoting Wichita and use many local companies whenever possible for everything from our muffins to our artwork. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us and we look forward to seeing you again.
Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I had to visit Wichita about a week ago and picked this place thanks to the tripadvisor reviews. The location is convenient, close to the Old Town and they even have a shuttle service for those who want to avoid driving around themselves. The place is clean, the rooms are quiet (nonsmoking), and the service is excellent. This is not really a classic hotel, but it rather looks like an apartment complex. I'm still quite impressed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lana A
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are glad our shuttle was convenient for your needs. Our location close enough to the city’s attractions with just enough distance to offer a quiet setting helps us offer a feeling of home to many of our guest. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Our family has stayed in several hotels/motels over the years on trips. We have stayed at this Hotel for 2 consecutive years and we will return in the years to come. We had a King room and it was nothing short of its name. The room is more like an apartment and you have the same privacy as many luxurious apartments have. If you don't mind spending around just 20 more a night than other hotels in the area. Go for it! They even had a fireworks show on Sat. night in the middle of Aug. that we could view from our room window. Breakfast was great. And we like to drink coffee in the afternoon and they have a self brew coffee machine that you just pick what flavor you want and enjoy. The only downside was the cobwebs on the outside benches.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Javier-amanda D
We are so glad you enjoyed your return stay to our hotel. Our location close to many of Wichita’s premier attractions does have many perks, such as the fireworks display you were able to see from your room. The specialty coffee maker we have available in our breakfast room is a big hit with guest at all times of the day. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we can’t wait to see you next year.
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

By definition a motel is defined as having rooms with direct outside access to the parking lot, which is what this place has. A hotel has access to the rooms inside the hotel building itself. The owners are very successfully marketing their way on sites like tripadvisor by pushing the limits of the branding to say the least. Words like 'Hotel' and 'Waterwalk' gave me the wrong impression. There is no water walk on or near the property. (You can't see the Arkansas river on site, but it is more than 1/2 mile away.) It literally sits in the shadow of a four lane overpass of the major highway that cuts east-west through the city. If this property is the #1 'hotel' in Wichita, then Wichita is in worse trouble than I thought.

I will say the value for what you receive for a room was good, but this is not an expensive place. I was more disappointed that this property was ranked as the #1 'hotel' in Wichita and was suspicious the minute I drove on to the property. When I mentioned my concern at the front desk, the desk clerk was quick to remind me that their property was ranked #1 on Tripadvisor for Wichita hotels. At check in I told her that I wasn't going to stay the week until I've seen the room and the room was unacceptable for me; hard floors with throw rugs, the airconditioner was next to the bed and was difficult to hear the television while in bed. On top of the train whistles going through the middle of town at 3AM, a kitchenette with full size inexpensive refrigerator was making noises that kept me up while trying to sleep......well, you get the drift.

I have used and relied on Tripadvisor for selecting quality properties in and outside of the U.S. and I have never felt that the properties were misrepresented by the reviews on this website until I stayed in this place. At the time I checked in, 93 reviews out of 87 rated this place as being excellent and many of them appear to have the same glowing editorial vibe. How many hotel reviews on this website have the property manager commenting after nearly every one of the good reviews re-enforcing how wonderful the place is...it's just odd.

Wichita was originally populated by shady real estate owners who bought land here and rode north up to the Santa Fe Wagon Trail and told stories to settlers about how wonderful Wichita was in order to get them to turn south and homestead. Their stories of Wichita embellished the truth, but people who didn't want to risk the Rocky Mountain winters acted on their misrepresentations and came to Wichita. Is that tradition still continuing here in Wichita???

Let me be clear - for the money the value was there - but it is very odd for this property to be the #1 hotel in Wichita Kansas because the property and location just doesn't warrant it. This is why I'm giving this Motel a negative review. Because both the property's website and the tripadvisor reviews steered me wrong, I felt conned and wanted out the next day, (I wouldn't have stayed over night, but arrived on a very very late flight.)

I had originally booked this place for a week thinking I had discovered some cool or interesting place in Wichita rather than relying on the usual chain hotels that dominates this market. But I was wrong and people should be aware of what they are getting with this place. I am suspicious of the positive reviews this property has received, unless the people who have stayed here and liked it are used to much worse...which is always a possibility. Please proceed at your own risk, I will not be staying here again, ever!

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank KD2122
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We understand how it can be frustrating when you expect one thing and get something different. We are sorry that you did not find our hotel to meet your expectations. We do appreciate all feedback, positive or negative, and do our best to correct any issues guests may have due to our staff, rooms, bar or other problems under our control. Most of our guests are pleased with our newly remodeled property and enjoy the many included amenities and private entrances. In an effort to show every guest how important they are to us, and on recommendation from TripAdvisor, we respond to all reviews posted by our guests. Our property is very special and unique. We understand that it does not fit into what every traveler is looking for. We hope you found suitable accommodations in Wichita and would love the opportunity to impress you with our exceptional service and included amenities should you ever make a return trip to Wichita.
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I spent about 4 months at Hotel at Waterwalk while working on a project in the Wichita area. I have never experienced such a caring, thoughtful, and professional staff. They offer a cooked-order-breakfast every morning that includes omelets, waffles, French toast, and breakfast burritos, along with a traditional buffet of scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits with gravy, pastries, fresh sliced fruit, oatmeal, etc. In addition, the staff are always pleasant and usually remember your name. On Wednesdays, they offer a reception which includes free dinner from a local restaurant. Hotel at Waterwalk also includes a full bar on-premises open from 5-2am with karaoke on Saturdays and live music on Fridays. My partner and I had to leave town for a few days, and the hotel manager actually volunteered to feed and check on our cat while we were gone. The grounds are beautiful and always well-kept, as is the outdoor pool. I just cannot say enough about this place!! Stay here!! Oh, and they're pet-friendly and offer discounted corporate rates!

Room Tip: The 2-story loft units can be difficult to cool in the summer. I recommend a 1-bedroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Krs3559
Christine711smain, Manager at Hotel At WaterWalk, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
The Hotel At WaterWalk likes to think of our guest as family, and after four months of staying with us we are glad you felt this way. Many of our amenities such as the cook to order breakfast, pet friendly policy, barbecue grills, and free laundry services are meant to make long term guest feel at home. Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us and we hope your travels bring you back to Wichita.