“Quite pleasant short stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel At WaterWalk

Hotel At WaterWalk
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Wichita
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Quite pleasant short stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We reserved two rooms for the weekend while visiting my mom. Staff was friendly, rooms were clean and in good condition. Breakfast was excellent. Only issue was with one of the rooms right next to the highway -- the giant flashing sign outside the window was annoying even with the curtains closed. However, they switched my brother to a different room immediately when he asked. Just try not to get one of the rooms on the very north side of the property if you're a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Rooms next to highway (north side) have more road noise and light.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Over all I've had a decent experience with this hotel. It's for sure unique in a good way. But I have had one awful experience that trumps all the others, mostly on how it was handled. Twice now, have I gotten there, gotten my room key and everything and went to my room to see it lived in or maids cleaning and had to go back to the desk to get it figured out. Also the 'service' they have where you put what your favorite chips and drinks and all that on a paper and the next time you stay there that stuff will be waiting in your room... that's never happened no matter how many times i fill the survey out.
The one big thing that made me never want to stay there again is that I had called a couple months in advance to reserve a specific room number for my baby shower so i could write the room number on the invites. i got there to find out the room was not available and whoever promised me that room was wrong in doing so. I've worked a numerous hotels and I know you can assign a room no matter how far in advance.. it's the same as assigning a room the day the person shows up (which is what generally happens). Instead of being able to relax when I was 8 months pregnant and have everyone around me just setting up for the shower, I spent a lot of time trying to get a hold of everyone to tell them about the change. Since so much time had been spent on trying to figure out what room we could go to, there was hardly any time to set up for the shower. At one point when glass was broken that evening, I called the desk to ask for a broom. they told me they would just clean it up when we checked out. Leaving me to just step around the broken glass. we had to go to the store and buy our own broom and dust pan. There was not a single person that was apologetic about it until I had written a review on their site and they comped me a free night. During the free night there were a bunch of wasps in the room landing on my newborn daughter. When maintenance got there said that it happens because the maids leave the doors open when they clean. If that's happening to the point that she was that casual about it, then why is nothing being done about it? The free night was ok but to this day I still have a negative taste in my mouth towards this hotel and I no longer tell people to stay there.

Room Tip: The floors are hard wood, so if you are below someone, you WILL hear them walking around above you...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jensen Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

This stay was before and after the Wichita river fest. Awesome Hotel. great staff. You will be very happy staying here.
This place is great even if it is in Kansas. You have to understand I'm a Floridian.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was very impressed with the loft suite. The apartment like property has great accommodating service which free laundry service, breakfast and great bar area. My room was really nice and had plenty of space upstairs and downstairs.

Room Tip: Loft style hotels.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael R
Towanda, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

The stay was great. Went to concert at the arena, and they shuttled us there and back. The room was very clean, staff was excellent and the breakfast was awesome. The only complaint was the bathroom was small with limited hot water. I recently stayed at the Ambassador for 3 times the price and the Hotel at Waterwalk blew them out of the water in service and breakfast, (Which the Ambassador doesn't even serve without additional fees).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed on a Friday night. The room was very clean and up to date. The staff was very friendly and the free breakfast is a step above the normal hotel free breakfast. Made to order eggs were available and the food seemed fresher. The hotel is literally right off of the highway. We were in a unit close to the highway and the road noise was noticeable (but not to the point that it was a huge problem). Consider asking for units that are at the oppposite end.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Avon, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I spent just one night here on a recent brief tour through SE Kansas and the adjoining corners of three states. Even though our stay was short, I can say with confidence that the Hotel at WaterWalk was the run-away winner of accommodations during our eight day trip. Not the fanciest nor most upper-crust, but the best when all measures are taken into account.

The rooms are more like mini-apartments, located on two levels with exterior entrances, perhaps six to a building. One note of warning: be sure to ask for a lower level room during your reservation if you are physically challenged or have heavy luggage, as there are no elevators. Contrary to another reviewer, we found our room surprisingly large and comfortable, one that would be welcoming for an extended stay. To wit, a full-size refrigerator and microwave as well as other kitchen amenities, coupled with a large walk-in closet, two comfortable living area chairs (one reclining), a nice-size flat screen and DVD player make for the basic comforts of home. The king bed was wonderful, the most comfortable of our trip. Flooring was a stylish pergo-style fake hardwood instead of carpet, something we prefer as doesn't hide nasty "leftovers" of prior guests. Though our room faced a nearby street, we found it to be very quiet. The HVAC unit worked well, with full heat/AC/temp control by the guest.

It is the extra amenities offered here that make WaterWalk a special value. The included breakfast was great - a full hot meal including eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, cereals, fresh fruit, fruit juices, yogurt, donuts, and even a custom-prepared omelette, should you want one. We did not partake, but apparently the dining area is turned into a social gathering place during the evening, complete with drinks and snacks. There is a laundry area, an exercise room, a pool, and even a complimentary shuttle. Parking was adequate and convenient. I believe they even allows dogs, with certain restrictions. Our limited exposure to staff found them to be friendly and helpful.

I can't remember getting so much value in a downtown-area hotel in a very long time (our room was $100 incl tax). My only caveat is that one should not expect glorious views or spacious green areas. The hotel is located immediately adjacent to an X-way exit, right on the edge of downtown. Although another reviewer called the area "shady" we certainly had no concerns about safety. An upside is hotel's convenience to downtown and many of Witchita's points of interest.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level room if you prefer not to climb the exterior stairs. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple