Ambassador Hotel Wichita, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Wichita
Hays, Kansas, United States
“Wow Factor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here and loved it! We frequently stay at 2-Star hotels, so the decor was nice. The parking garage was really close, with concierge and valet (at extra charge). It was close enough to the shops in the downtown area to walk to. Super clean, comfortable mattress, and a Keurig stocked with coffee :) Definitely recommend for a little splurge when in Wichita.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Amabassador Hotel must be the finest stay in the city. On my second visit, I again had a great corner room - huge! - will a very comfortable bed and excellent staff. I've been visiting Wichita for years and havent' found a comparable stay anywhere in town.

Room Tip: Request a corner room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DCRickH
Blackwell, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend in December of 2013. Yes, this review is late, but I simply had not made time to write it. I was searching for a hotel in the area again and stumbled onto reviews of this one, which reminded me that it is probably my civic duty to share my personal experience at this hotel, since it was frankly terrifying. I feel at the very least families should know what they are risking when booking a room here. The hotel itself is beautiful. I thought extremely fairly priced as well. The desk clerk was very friendly and the rooms are decorated with upscale furnishings and free, (yes free) water. Besides the rooms being huge, (we stayed in a king corner suite) the windows were plentiful and actually opened. The only issue I took with the room itself was their was a slight unpleasant odor, which made me even more happy that the windows opened.

We came in late, and I noted that the security here was non-existent. I did not think too much of it, "how many hotels have I stayed at that don't have a security guard?" I thought to myself...so we went to our room and started to enjoy our stay.Eventually, we decided to go out for some air. We walked to a nice little seating area and began to talk. Suddenly, another patron at the hotel came up to us, drunk out of his mind and started talking with us, he was fine though, mannerly enough. But soon, a group of teenagers started to flood out of the hotel with the one lowly desk clerk following behind, I looked up and saw two men, who were clearly with the same group, staring out windows from a hall upstairs, looking rather angry. The drunk man who sat with us, said hello to some of the drunk, scantily clad young ladies in the group and when he did, one of the young men started to yell at him and lunged towards him. We of course, got up and hurried back into our room.

We when got back to the safety of our room and behind locked doors, we watched out one of the windows and saw these people fighting, in mass groups in the parking garage and just outside. We saw a young man dragged along the concrete. We watched in horror as a gang fight literally unfolded before our eyes. It took twenty minutes for the police to show up there. We could count they caught two of the males in the group, and let them go just as soon as they were caught. We watched as two of the cars form the party, drove in circles around the hotel looking for, I don't know what, long after the police had departed

. I now realize that staying in the downtown area of any city can be risky, and anything like this could happen anywhere, however, since staying at this hotel I have noted that most hotels in these types of areas do actually have security guards, and at the very least, more than one staff member working overnights. We came to the hotel for a nice little getaway and wound up being happy to get away from the hotel itself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Melisa C
TadStricker, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Wichita, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 January 2015
Melissa -

Thanks for reviewing the hotel and sharing your feedback several months ago. Although I did not manage the hotel at the time you stayed in 2013, I wanted to reach out as the new manager and introduce myself. I would like to invite you back, if your travel plans include Wichita.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly by phone or email, so that I may ensure your complete satisfaction.

I can assure you that this experience you described in your review is not the norm. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Ambassador Hotel - Wichita, and the opportunity to reprieve our mistakes.

Thanks again.

Tad Stricker
Ambassador Hotel - Wichita
Salina, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have stayed twice and both times the experience was excellent!! Employees in the hotel, bar and restaurant are very professional! Love it there! Such a terrific staff and so ready to please their guests!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank dearheart69
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having previously resided in Wichita, The Ambassador has become the only place my wife and I will stay when we return to visit friends. The rooms are beautiful and spacious, with bathrooms worth the price alone.The staff is always friendly and accommodating, eager to help with anything they can. Located minutes away from everything downtown Wichita has to offer, The Ambassador is at the top of the list when looking for a great place to stay in Wichita!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George M
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Spent one night there in a King Corner Suite, paying $144, plus tax, using a corporate discount. The room was very large and perfectly furnished. I believe the hotel aspires to be a hip, boutique type of place and absolutely succeeds. A little pricey, but all the better hotels in the Old Town and downtown area are about the same. I won't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: You should at least discuss whether any discount is available for some group you belong to. They he...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BillyJeff
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was responsible for choosing a hotel for a visiting dignitary. The pressure was on to find a place that was elegant but understated. The Ambassador Hotel met that physical requirement immediately. What made me choose it though was the absolutely exceptional service of the staff. I had many special requests and each staff member I came in contact with was most willing to meet my needs. Kind, courteous and interested in making sure our guest was treated with proper respect. This is "THE" place to stay in Wichita.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business