“Poor Manners”

Ranked #51 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Washington, Missouri
“Poor Manners”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Upon checking in to the property I had booked three months in advance the manager informed me they didn't have any ground floor rooms, which I had requested. He informed me they didn't have any, but had just given a traveler who was in my group, who was on her first trip, who had booked just one week before, she is not a Priority Club Platinum member like I the ground floor room. He just said we don't look at that until you check in. No room assigner...but he had already had paperwork with my room number on it. They don't even look at special requests. His attitude was poor and as a manager you would think he would try to make up for it somehow. He couldn't have cared less. He should not be in the hospitality field. So, if you have a room type preference DON'T STAY HERE.

Room Tip: You don't have an option on room type, so don't expect it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kent G
Michelle L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Poor Manners,
Please allow me to offer you my sincerest apology for the way with which you feel you were treated during your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Wichita-Airport. Guest feedback, whether positive or negative, is always welcome and I use it to lead and develop my staff on delivering excellent customer service 100% of time. And in your case, we failed to do so. I've looked into your reservation history and it appears it was booked in early Dec by our central reservations office. I've looked throughly for any comments or requests listed as to floor preference or even your IHG Rewards status. Regardless of whether its noted or not, we do our very best to accomodate guest requests as best we can. Sometimes circumstances do not permit us to grant them,and therefore we fail to meet that guests expectations. I do not know if we had any ground floor rooms still available at the time of your check in, but we clearly could have found a better way of handling the situation. A sincere apology might have gone a long way. We can add your floor preference to your profile so if you do decide to give us another chance to make a better first impression, we'll know just what you like. I do sincerely hope that you will continue to patron the Holiday Inn Express brand even if you do not return to my property.

Warmest Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel was a good place for a night stay. Arrived early due to snowstorm, waited 10 minutes and they had a room ready for us. Front staff was very friendly and helpful.
Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Nothing to complain about. We were recognized as priority members and given a goody bag with small snack.
It was snowing all day and night so we did not venture out except to eat. There are restaurants within walking distance, snow or no snow. We chose the Chinese restaurant since it was the first one we came to, good choice by the way.
Everybody who had an early fight were up and about earlier than usual which meant and hour before breakfast was served. The front desk clerk set out muffins and coffee for those who wanted to get a early breakfast. That was a nice touch.
If you have an early flight this is a good hotel to stay at. It is about a 10 minute drive. I cannot fault anything on this stay with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Michelle L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Tunda1999,
Thank You so much for taking the time to comment on how nice your recent stay was at our hotel. Guest feedback, whether positive or negative, is always welcome, and it helps us know what we need to work on and in what ways we are exceeding our guests' expectations. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we took such good care of you. From a clean room ready for early check in, to the little Grab & Go breakfast bags for early departure to the airport, we strive to make our great hotel one guests love. We do hope that you will consider us your home away from home and stay with us should you travel through the area in the future.

Michelle Lash
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I've stayed at this hotel once or twice in the last few weeks, as businees has brought me to the Wichita area quite often lately. I had a good experience when staying here before, so this experience was a let-down. I was in my room relaxing around 8:00 last night, and two men started having a loud conversation right outside my door, I didn't think too much about it at first, but it went on and on, I could even hear a good part of the converstion, they were discussing the difference between white, black and hispanic men?!?! just about when I was going to go out and ask them to please carry on their conversation in the lobby, one left, so I thout that it was over, but another minute later, I heard a big bang, and a rat-a-tat, rat a tat. (later found that this was a power drill/screw gun with the clutch adjusted to loose,) I went out into the hall and discovered that one of the men who had been loudly talking outside my door was the hotel maintenance man, I asked him what all the noise was and why he was talking so loadly for so long? he just laughed, so I went back into my room and called the front desk and askedif they could do something, the man at the desked said he would tell him to stop what he was doing, however, one or both didn't do something because it was probably 9:30 pm before he finally quit working. Later at 2:00 am I awoke with my room very hot, even though I had set the temp to A/C and turned it down to 60 deg, as I cannot sleep in a hot room, and this room was HOT, and the A/C was not working at all, the only thing that helped was that I was able to open the window around 3 inches, and it was cold outside. There are too many good hotels in the Wichita area for me to stay at one where the staff is as inconsiderate as at this Holiday Inn on Dugan Road!I am a Gold Elite with Holiday Inn, but also Gold with the Hilton Chain, I believe that they will be glad to take my money.

Room Tip: One where maintenance is not having a party in the hall.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Michelle L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Scot P,
Please let me begin this email by offering you my sincerest apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your last stay at my property. I have only been the General Manager here a few months, and I'm trying my best to reply to all guest comments and try to encourage them to give us another try to make a better impression.
I would like to apologize that you were unable to relax during the eveing in your room and that the A/C unit didn't allow the room to be a comfortable tempertature. I have spoke with the engineer on duty that evening and I'm told he was fixing the maids latch in a female guest room because it was loose and she did not feel secure. I'm sincerely sorry for any inconvienence that the noise may have caused you.
Guest feedback whether positive or negative, is welcome and will be used to further train my staff on consistently delivering exceelent customer service.
I'd like to offer you 1000 IHG Reward points for the inconvenience and those points will be deposited immediately.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally, if we need to discuss resolution of this issue further.
Again, I'm so very sorry that we disappointed you. I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to make a future stay more enjoyable the next time you're traveling to Wichita.

Michelle Lash

Travellers are raving about these Wichita hotels

Reviewed 1 December 2013

just looked at my credit card statement and noticed a discrepancy in the print out I received and what is posted on the statement....after calling the hotel, I was told that there is an additional 10% charge to cover any 'possible' charges if the room is 'trashed' or other such problems. Go to know at the beginning of the stay and not be surprised AFTER the fact.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Michelle L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Doufin,
Please accept my sincerest apologies that you were not made away of the additional $10 per night "authorization" for incidentals to your credit card. I'm sorry that the front desk staff did not explain that to you during the check in process. Guest feedback, is always used as a learning tool to help us better develop our customer service skills. I wll talk with my staff to be sure we are explaining this to our valued guests, such as yourself. It is however, an industry standard, and it's not an actual "charge" on your credit card, but a pending authorization that normally releases in 5 to 7 business days, depending on day of check out and your banking instituion. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this matter further. Again, I'm sincerely sorry that we failed to meet your expectation and I do hope you will give us another chance to make a better impression. Hope you enjoy the Holidays!

From the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

for the last six years as it is close to our daughter's house and have seen a marked improvement in the internet access; however, as the years have past, their room prices have increased without significant improvements in the 'extras' especially the 'hot breakfast'. It's interesting that the daily room prices fluctuate based on the day of the week. We understand that the hotel caters to business travelers, primarily, but the rest of us could 'benefit' from a lower cost per night. The desk staff was most pleasant and helpful but with few people staying while we were there, looking at the little things may help their overall rating….

Room Tip: Close to the airport expect planes landing a couple of times a day..the air/heat system provides nic...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Michelle L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Doufin,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at my hotel. I'm glad to hear that you have been staying with us for several years and that you are seeing marked improvements. As part of a new management team, guest feedback, whether positive or negative, is always welcome and it helps us score how well we are taking care of you, our valued guests. It also offers insight on ways we can improve our overall customer service. Because it is our goal to not only meet, but exceed YOUR expectations. I aplogize for you not feelling like you received a good value and that the "extras" should not only be geared towards our regular corporate travelers, but also extended to our occasional leisure guests as well. I do sincerely hope that if you travel to the area again, you continue to consider us your home away from home.

Michelle L
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Maybe had I not been so exhausted & already had a horrible travel day with broken planes, rental cars getting involved with long hard miles to make it there, I might could've seen the humor in it when the desk clerk told me to "get a cab Lady", when I ask how I was to get to the hotel.
After arriving, in a cab, which I hate to take, the lobby had a powerful chlorine smell due to the pool. My upstairs room was ok, but the pillows were not near what I expected. Small, wadded stuffing in most of them. The early am desk clerk was quite friendly. She also had a shuttle driver ready to take us to the airport. It was too early for breakfast, but she had sat out a few muffins & had coffee for us. That was nice of her. The hotel was quite farther away from the airport than I believed it to be also.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool area. The chlorine smell is strong, unless it doesn't bother you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HIEX1236, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear RanchT,
I sincerely apologize that we failed to meet your expectations during your last stay. The issue you had has been addressed with the appropraite staff members and guest feedback, whether negative or positive, is always used as a teachable moment. I do hope that you will give us another change to make a better first impression at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Wichita Airport!

Management
Beamsville, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Room is comfortable, calm, with excellent bed and good pillows. AC is working well, bathroom has a good range of amenities, TV is up to date, internet is fast and reliable.. The front desk personnel were friendly and knowledgeable.
This hotel maintains the standard of excellence that makes this chain the one I recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DAVID V
Michelle L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wichita Airport, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear DavidVH1966,

Your review of our hotel was wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to leave such great feedback. Guest such as yourself are the reason we are in this industry and I'm happy to know we exceeded your expectations. See you next time!

Yours in hospitality