“My new choice in Wichita”
Review of Wichita Marriott

Wichita Marriott
Ranked #26 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Let me preface this by saying I travel to and stay in Wichita about two weekends per month and have always stayed at the Hyatt Downtown simply for it's location to activities and the river trail (for weekend biking). This past weekend, I made the same reservations at the Hyatt for Friday and Saturday night before moving over to the Marriott for a professional conference on Sunday Monday and Tuesday.
I can officially say I have stayed at the Hyatt for the last time. Staying at both hotels on the same trip was such a revelation. The Hyatt was so loud and busy, doors slamming all hours of the night, people up and down the hallways all night partying and being inconsiderate of other travelers etc. Additionally, the sheets were very uncomfortable and the towels old and dirty.
The Marriott on the other hand, was a gift. It is immaculate and the service matches the appearance. The staff minimized the hassle of check in and check out and any needs were immediately addressed. The rooms were quiet, peaceful, clean and comfortable. The beds were sooooo very comfortable and very difficult to get out of in the morning.
The only disadvantage is the location, but weighed against the room quality, noise or lack thereof, and service, the location is worth it. I will be a Marriott customer from this day forward.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel so many times over the past five years that I have lost count. It means that this hotel is far and away, in my humble opinion, so much better than any other hotel in Wichita that I would never dream of staying anywhere else.

The lobby is inviting. Plenty of luggage carts available, and although there is not a bellhop on duty, the staff is more than happy to bring your bags to your room while you park your car in the large and free parking lot. Three elevators, which are always fast and almost always available, whisk you to your room. When you get to your room, you will be blown away by the granite countertop for the vanity and sink, a very nice bathroom with modern shower head, adn then a nice, comfortable bed with HDTV. If you can't get a good night's sleep on a Marriott bed, you can't sleep in any hotel.

The location is tremendous. You are just off the main east-west route of Wichita, Kellogg Avenue (US 54), with quick access to shopping, dining and the attractions of downtown. The Kansas Turnpike (I-35) will get you where you need to go on the east side of town, and you can also turn left onto Webb from the hotel and drive toward some newer, upscale stores on the north side.

There's no reason to stay anywhere else in Wichita.

Room Tip: The side which faces Kellogg has a good view of traffic. But you can't go wrong on either side o...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is my third review of the Wichita Marriott. Each time I've stayed the property has improved, and it's obvious that the General Manager is working to make this the best full service hotel in Wichita. This time, the beds were fabulous. The service was outstanding from all the staff, and especially Dexter in the Concierge Lounge. I come to Wichita on business quite often, and without a doubt, the Marriott is the only place to stay. It's a nice quiet location, with comfortable, and spacious rooms. It has greatly improved since my first visit, but things don't change unless you bring it to the attention of management. I've seen some of the reviews with complaints about renovation being needed. Slowly but surely that has been happening, but remember, the economy hasn't been the best, and the aircraft industry that supports Wichita has been slow in recovering. I can handle the fact that it needs some renovating, but it is spotless and comfortable, and to me. those are the major things I look for when reviewing a property. Room service was great, and the Black Angus Grille was excellent as always. The staff makes a property great, and the staff here has a positive and pleasant attitude. The only negative I found was the water pressure on the 10th floor, but it was acceptable. When I travel to Wichita, this is my first, and only choice for a hotel. Without hesitation, I would recommend the Wichita Marriott for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is my 20th year of visiting Wichita on business, and I haven't missed a year yet!
I've been using the Marriott all that time and really not much has changed. The hotel could do with some modernization, things look dated and it needs refreshing.
It was only recently that they put wifi into the rooms, not bad for an expensive hotel! The decor in the rooms does need updating. Apart from the flat screen tv I could have gone back in time and not noticed any changes.
Don't get me wrong, the rooms are clean and tidy having been renovated but the decor sucks!
The Resturant does serve good food but i tend to eat out due to the plethora of good ( & cheaper) resturants in East Wichita.
The staff are helpfull but if you have laundry done by the hotel, expect to have to go and collect it from reception, after paying $60+ for my cleaning I'd have expected for it to be put in my room.
The concierge lounge is small and on numerous occasions I've had to wait for a seat and the food does tend to run out at breakfast time ( the fridge always seems to be out of yogurt)
So why do I continue to stay here...? Well one reason, Marriott rewards! But with the new Marriott Residence Inn open 2 blocks away I may well change my accomodation in future.

• Stayed: March 2012
Wichita_Marriott, Public Relations Manager at Wichita Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your comments with us. Our highest mission is to provide genuine care, empathy, and compassion while always exceeding the expectations of our guests.

I wanted to let you know that magnificent improvements and upgrades to our hotel are on the way for 2012 as later this year our lobby will undergo a 3 million dollar renovation and will be transformed into a more modern yet comfortable and inviting area that guests can use in different ways throughout the day and evening. The "Lobby Reinvented" will engage the senses, with music, scent, and lighting to create a different atmosphere and mood at different times of the day. It will feature comfortable seating that can be easily grouped together, wireless connectivity and AC power as well as access to food and beverage throughout the day and evening. The Day/Night Bar in the Social Business Zone which will adapt to guest needs throughout the day. Light breakfast items and coffee will be available in the morning and cocktails and snacks will be available during the late afternoon and evening hours, The Day/Night Bar will be a work and beverage zone during the day and then transform to a full service bar in the evening. Along with the new re-invented lobby, we will also be offering brand new food and beverage options.

In addition to remodeling the entire lobby we will be renovating all of our meeting, banquet and pre-assembly spaces as well and adding additiona much neededl meeting space.

On behalf of all of the associates of the Wichita Marriott may I please say that we deeply appreciate you as our guest and hope that you would please consider allowing us the honor to be of service to you again.

Most Sincerely,

Marriott Team Wichita

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I recently spent 2 nights at the Wichita Marriott for business. I was picked up at the airport by the hotel’s shuttle. Javier was my driver and he was outstanding. He was a wealth of information and he was like a public service announcement for Wichita. By the time I arrived at the hotel, I knew about major industries (aviation/airplane manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, defense), the weather forecast, the population, and a little bit of history. It was a great way to come to a new city.

As I entered the hotel, I was a little amused at the “no guns” signs on the door. Entering the buidling, you are greeted with a warm lobby with several sitting areas. To the right are the facilities two restaurants, Cinnabar (breakfast and lunch) and The Black Angus Grille (dinner). To your left is the hotel desk. Check in was a breeze – it literally took less than a minute before I had my key card.

The hotel was fairly busy and I got a 5th floor room with a king bed. The room was nicely appointed with a large TV, a desk with wired and wireless (free) internet, a sitting chair, and bed with 2 nightstands. What it didn’t have was a refrigerator. I really wanted a fridge and there was room for one in the TV cabinet. I felt that this was a real detractor. The décor was fairly modern with mostly medium wood tones and some black and white art on the wall.

The bathroom had a toilet and bath/shower combo. Definitely some updating is needed here. I am still amazed that hotels use the cheap plastic toilet seats. The bathroom also had a drop ceiling which seemed out of place. It also had water damage right above the shower head – something that could have easily been fixed by replacing a tile. The shower did not get very hot (I had it all the way up and was still a bit cold) and there was poor water pressure. Additionally, the shower “sang” to me each morning (high pitched water noises).The floor was marble but the shower walls were 1990s drab, tan ceramic – they seemed out of place. Outside the bathroom was the sink which was surrounded by a granite countertop which looked very nice. It was odd having so many different stones in a small area. As an added (odd) touch, there is a bottle opener fastened to the back of the bathroom door.

The amenities at the hotel are nice – there is both an indoor and outdoor pool (outdoor pool is not open in winter). The pool is small but big enough to swim. There is also a hot tub. Adjacent to the pool is the exercise room. The exercise room has several elliptical machines and treadmills. There is also a universal gym and dumbbells. As a bonus, if you can’t access the concierge level, you can get some granola bars in the room.

Overall, the staff provided outstanding service. They were always quick to offer support. For example, one evening I wanted a soda and the vending machine on my floor was out. They opened the gift shop for me so that I could get a drink. I can’t compliment the staff enough.

In general, however the hotel could use some renovations.

Room Tip: The hotel has a shuttle service that will take you around town if you ask. They generally have a l...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mr_RN
Reviewed 26 January 2012

A good but very tired Marriott desperately in need of room modernization and renovation.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Fazzone
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Not a bad stay, nice staff but as the reviews state - a little dated. Nice pool area and the concierge lounge has a nice honor bar. Comfy beds too, I guess what suprised me most is how early housekeeping got started on the rooms. I took a swim at 6:30am and by the time I came back to the room at 7, they were already knocking on doors. I'm glad I didn't sleep late because the doors aren't that thick and I actually thought they were at my room while I was getting ready to shower.

Anyway, the location was convenient for what I needed but I would probably stay downtown next time I hit Wichita.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business