“Helped me enjoy a great stay in Wichita!”
Review of Wichita Marriott

Wichita Marriott
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel located on a nice property just a few minutes from downtown. It was a quick and easy drive downtown for the evening. Was just here for one night and really enjoyed my stay in Wichita.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank LateGreats
There are newer reviews for Wichita Marriott

Reviewed 28 May 2013

My room was KING and very clean. There was plenty of space but only came equipped with a refrigerator - no MICRO WAVE. It has a nice restaurant with a morning buffet - but sort of pricey but then this is the Marriott. The rooms I thought were also pricey at $149.00 per night if not purchased through Price Line or such and you aren't given the best views.The hotel is convenient and sets among other motels. Most restaurants are 1 to 2 miles from the Hotel but are numerous.

Room Tip: Pay full price. 9th through 11th floors are the concierger floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay at the Marriott in Wichita. I spend two or three nights a week away from home an really prefer a full service Marriott. However, this particular Marriott has more elegance and class than most. This elegance comes from the lobby.

My first impression as the doors opened was, "Wow!" This is beautiful! The front desk girl was very friendly so I was asking questions. Shd told me that a major remodel was about to happen. Guests standing near us (I assume they stay here a lot). became very upset at the thought of changes. I can see why, it is a beautiful lobby.

After I settled into my room I went to the 11th floor lounge for a snack. The lounge was very nice and has a good variety of snacks. Once again, I overheard of guests talking about how horrible it is that the hotel is about to be remodeled. I am not sure how they knew, but they knew the concieres loun

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Went to Wichita, KS in April. Was traveling with husband and 4lb Yorkie from DFW. Googled "pet-friendly hotels". This hotel came up. Call the number associated with the hotel. Got someone who said she was with "Central Booking". Thought was talking to the Marriott booking center. Anyway, having told them that I was traveling with my dog, they told me would be no problem other than $50 extra. No big deal. Booked it for two days. Got there around 7:00 p.m. Walked in holding my dog in my arms and in front of the entire front desk staff including the manager. No problem. Got into our room. Tired and hungry and don't want to leave my female Yorkie alone long. Decide to eat at the restaurant in the hotel (here's where one star comes from). Excellent meal with a wonderful server. Went back upstairs, the door is locked with my dog inside! She's wimpering to see me and I can't get in. My husband goes down and comes back up with the manager. He says, "You have to go now. We don't allow dogs here. We will have to deep clean this room and other guests are complaining." I say, "We booked this because it was listed as dog-friendly." He says, "That is not true. If you look on our website, you will see nothing about allowing dogs." I say, "OK, when why charge me for a dog fee. Do you think I'd stay here without my dog being allowed? I walked right past you with my dog. You saw my dog because you smile at my dog and me, unless of course, you are very observant." He tells us to go. I say, "No problem. I'm perfectly able to pay for anywhere I want to stay and I'm happy to leave here if my dog isn't allowed." So we pack. We go downstairs. The guy accosts me again saying, "You booked your reservation through Expedia and I should be charging you more for bringing in your dog and for your talking back to me." I kinda laugh like the guy has lost his mind. I tell him, "I'm not going to pay for this. You just google or go on Yelp or Trip Advisor and your hotel comes up as dog friendly. I'm happy to leave, but don't threaten me. And, I'll be happy to leave a review for you." He says, "Good and goodbye." Fine. We walk out. We already have another place to stay (which ended being much nicer--Hilton Homestead. So I'm standing there outside waiting for my husband to bring car around and this follows me out again. He says, "I googled it, no dog friendly. You understand how much cleaning this requires?" I tell him, "None, yorkies don't shed." He says, "All dogs shed." I look at him like he's the ignorant person he is. He's up in my face. I tell him, "Look, I'm a doctor and you don't know what you're talking about. So get out of my face, now. I don't have to do this with you. Understand?" I'm a grandmother and this guy is about late 20's or early 30's. I'm furious. To make the story shorter, today, I called Expedia and after being transferred numerous times and waiting endlessly, I get some imbecile who says she called the hotel and confirmed that I stayed both nights there. I tell her this is completely wrong since I have a receipt showing where I really stayed and that I was on my way home the next day and didn't a second night at all anywhere. I tell I will contest with my credit card company. In the meantime, my office manager hears all this and decides she's had enough of them also. She calls Marriott home office and gets another manager from the hotel (here's where the second star comes in). This woman was obviously no idiot. She asked what was wrong with our stay. After recounting the above, she asked who the manager was, I described him and she said she'd call right back. Next thing I know, my office manager has a reference number for us to give to Expedia (which really wasn't where the reservation went through but rather "a sponsored representative - Hotels.com, which also did not disclose who they were but had been the initial group to tell me that the hotel had told them I'd stayed both nights). Staff calls them again, waits more time, and finally, after they "confirm the number with the hotel" I'm finally able to get my refund. Lesson, not worth it. Rudeness was not necessary even if there had been a misunderstanding. Would have been ok. Not this. The room was not bad but typical. The service in the restaurant, excellent. The food, very good. The management (at least this time), horrible and unprofessional. The management today, excellent. Be sure when you make a reservation, you know who and what company you're making it through. You can decide about the rest.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Wichita_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Wichita Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to our Wichita Marriott Hotel. I also wanted to take this opportunity to write to you and to thank you for choosing the Wichita Marriott Hotel as your home away from home when you travel to Wichita, Kansas.

Your utter disappointment our hotel is not taken lightly; the problems that you encountered are totally unacceptable and absolutely not reflective of the rigorous service excellence training in which our associates and managers enthusiastically engage. Our training programs are designed to be a reflection of our guests' own priorities of excellence, optimism, and professionalism. Our highest mission is to provide genuine care, empathy, and compassion while always exceeding the expectations of our guests.

Please allow me to tell you that we do indeed accept pets if the guest has spoken personally with our Executive Operations Manager (at the hotel not through Expedia) and we have a note on the reservation stating that a special exception will be made and pets will be accepted for that special guest.

On behalf of all of the associates of the Wichita Marriott I would like to say that we sincerely thank you for your confidence in our ability to serve you and deeply appreciate you as our guest.

Wichita Marriott Management Team

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This will mark my second stay at the Corporate Hills Marriott, and more trips will be forthcoming.

While this property is nice enough and does offer a bar area (closed Friday - Sunday which we all found odd), and the location is in a decent proximity to nearby dining and Starbucks, there is definitely something lacking here.

One thing I can never get over is the smells of this hotel. Last time the rooms were so incredibly musty it was almost unbearable. This most recent stay featured the all to familiar musty smell in the rooms, and had an additional strong chlorine smell in the lobby.

We will probably continue to come back here for no other reason than we have to, hopefully something will be done about the smells and overall "run down" appearance of this property.

I will say that the staff here is very nice and always quick to help with anything you need, so that is a major plus for this property. Additionally the room service is prompt and cheap.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Wichita_Marriott, Guest Relations Manager at Wichita Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

I wanted to let you know that magnificent improvements and upgrades to our hotel are on the way as this month our lobby will begin a major reconstruction by undergoing a multi-million dollar complete and total renovation thus transforming it into a more modern yet comfortable and inviting area that guests can use in different ways throughout the day and evening. The Marriott Greatroom will engage the senses and will feature comfortable seating that can be easily grouped together, wireless connectivity and AC power as well as access to amazing food and beverage items throughout the day and evening.

In addition to remodeling the entire lobby we will be renovating all of our meeting, banquet and pre-assembly spaces as well as adding an additional 5000 square feet of much needed meeting space.

I am positively thrilled to let you know that as part of the hotel’s multi-million dollar beautification project this year we will be relocating the Concierge Lounge from our 11th floor to our Lobby level in accordance with our overall Greatroom execution. Our guest’s experience will be greatly enhanced by elevating our Marriott Rewards Members’ status in the hotel and giving those honored guests exclusive access through a members-only entrance into the Lounge which will be much larger than our current Lounge.

We have been busily preparing for this modernization for the past year and are confident we have a plan that will minimize any disruption to our guests. We have scheduled all excessively loud construction to be completed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Signs will indicate the areas of the hotel that are under construction.

We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding during this time. On behalf of all of the associates of the Wichita Marriott I would like to say that we sincerely thank you for your confidence in our ability to serve you and are looking forward to making your stay an outstanding one.

Most Sincerely,

Marriott Team Wichita

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stay at the Wichita Marriott about once a quarter for work. I travel all over the country, and I can honestly say that this is one of the better Marriott properties. The employees are very friendly, and the convenience of having both a full steak restaurant, sports bar, and jonny-on-the-spot room service gives the convenience we travelers need.

The concierge lounge is also sufficient with free bottled water, desserts, and continental breakfast.

One other nice amenity is a walking/jogging path around a pond in the backyard of the hotel. If the weather is nice, it is a good thing to stretch the legs. Also, they have BY FAR the best in hotel gym I have seen in a smaller city hotel.

As with any Marriott property, the food is a little pricey!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This Marriott called to me from I-35S! It said "come stay with us" and we did. The room was furnished tastefully and modern. There were reading lights on the headboard on each side of the headboard (yea, for me because I like to read before I go to sleep and it doesn't annoy my husband). But, the best part was THE BED. The linens were wonderful. The pillows, sheets and comforter were all divine. We had the best night of sleep for being away from home. My husband insisted that we find out where we could get the pillows for our bed! The front desk people were friendly and prompt..in fact, every employee we meet were helpful and nice. I will stay here again the next time I'm in Wichita and forego the invitations of family and friends to stay with them, just to sleep in the beds. By the way, the price was competitive and worth every cent because of the amenities.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and it was quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple