“Great breakfast, but this hotel needs some TLC”

GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Wichita
and 1 more site!
GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Wichita
Ranked #78 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We stayed at this hotel for a local basketball tournament. It looks as if they are not putting any money into this property to maintain it. The carpet througout the hotel was very worn, the landscaping on the outside and around the pool looks like it hasn't been touched all year and the rooms we had were pretty "tired." The staff was friendly, the breakfast was great and the happy hour with beverages and snacks was a plus, especially considering the low rate (I think we paid was $79).
I would not recommend this hotel though, there are a lot of better properties in Wichita with similar rates.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DCKC

Reviewed 3 August 2007

August 3, 2007

In July 2007, my family and I traveled to Wichita to visit family. We booked rooms at the ClubHouse Inn based on reviews, the pictures we saw online and the price. We were very disappointed with the overall appearance of the hotel. Work is definitely needed to the outside of this establishment. There were screens hanging from the windows and dirty rugs at the entrance in which entered. The lobby of the hotel is very nice so you assume that rest of the hotel looked the same. Wrong! The hallways of the hotel were dimly lit. We couldn't see how dingy it was until we actually got into the room. The carpet appeared dirtly, the bed looked sunken it and couch had stains. The outdated decor of the room was one in which we could have lived with for our short time in Kansas but the overall feel of the room was very dark. Since we were traveling with small children, we knew that we would not get a good nights sleep so we decided to check out. The front desk person was very apologetic, not to mention nice, in not charging us for the room for which we were very grateful. We went across the road and found a room at the Hampton Inn which had wonderful rooms and very comfortable beds.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank honestreviewer1
Reviewed 19 September 2006

Other reviewers talked about the dirty carpet -- MAN, I'm tellin' ya: they should just remove it, and the flooring underneath, and have guests walk on the bare dirt. It would be LOADS cleaner than the carpet here.

Beware staying in room 165 or nearby; the door to the outside just beyond your wall SLAMS like a cannon-shot every time it closes.

The free breakfast was good, though, and for a few hours sleep on an extended roadtrip (and why else would you be in Wichita, but passing through?), it's okay, and cheap.

Well, the mattresses looked like someone had been executed with a shotgun in our room; forgot to mention that. But I'm sure it was just water damage.

Wasn't it?

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank DeepCanyonRat
Reviewed 21 July 2006

We were staying in this hotel for 3 nights due to having no air conditioning in our home and being on a waiting list for service.

The first night there, after the managers clearly knowing why we were there we had a room with no air conditioning. So at 11 pm at night after we were "patient for it to cool down" we finally where given another room next door. The air did work slightly better but was not great, compared to most hotels that freeze you to death when the air is left on high all night.

Then came the 2nd night. We had a lower floor room, with a patio. We walked out onto the very dirty, grassy, with tons of rocks and twigs filled, patio/walk-way to the pool. As we were walking down my 5 year old stepped on a stick that was one of many on the pathway and it went right thru the bottom of her foot. Over 2 inches of the stick was in her foot. Needless to say there was blood everywhere, she actually hit a vein in her foot and it was squirting (sorry to be so graphic) everywhere. My 10 yr. old ran to ask for bandaids and the manager brought 2 and when saw all the blood refused to come in the room that we had carried my daughter back into.
Now, I am a nurse so that wasn't the big problem. We got the bleeding stopped after using several of their starch white towels. But, I went down after all was clear to talk to them and explain what had happened and they could have cared less. I asked where to place the blood soaked towels and they said to just leave them on our floor and they'd come get them tommorrow when the maids came on duty. I then asked about some disenfectant to clean the floor and wall with, as I said this foot was squirting blood everywhere, it looked like someone had been stabbed for goodness sake. They told us they were not allowed to give us any cleaning products, and there was a walmart 2 blocks away if we wanted it cleaned up before morning. I was shocked! and very Angry!
The next morning I went outside and there were puddles of blood everywhere on the patio - when I went to check out I told them again, but was informed that they wouldn't have time to scrub the patio before the next guest arrived so it would have to wait.
Boy do I feel sorry for those people. The carpet was covered in blood and they weren't even planning on shampooing it.

Do not stay in this hotel. It is unprofessional, rude, and of no help what so ever in an emergency situation.

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank Qponclipr
Reviewed 3 January 2006

We needed a place to stop for sleep on a very long road trip, so low price was a key factor. Got the Clubhouse on Priceline as a 2.5* hotel. While we had a very good stay, I suspect there can be some truth to the negative reviews here.

When you spend time at this property, you get the sense that service could be inconsistent. Our room was clean, though it did have a very odd odor. We could never put our finger on it, but the room was on the first floor and had a sliding glass door that opened into the lovely courtyard, so we quickly aired it out well enough.

The room was rather worn. It had a couch that was probably very nice when it was new but now was stained. Clean, but stained. The carpet was grey and clearly worn down, but vacuumed clean. The pattern is: clean, but worn. It's a short distance for a less than enthusiastic housekeeper to make the jump to leaving rooms dirty, as other reviewers have noted.

Other reviewers have talked about the delicious breakfast buffet. In the grand scheme of things, it was ok, but nothing fantastic. For example, there were scrambled eggs, but they were clearly from a lower quality mix, not fresh cracked eggs. Pretty standard.

Overall, you can make this hotel work for you if you need an inexpensive place to stay, near the highway, of a somewhat better quality than the typical 1* motel. You may have to switch rooms a few times to find one you will accept but the staff are generally professional and flexible, so you should be able to make it work.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank mjs7777
Reviewed 15 December 2005

Our room was filthy. There was mold on the shower curtain and tiles. The carpet had stains. Bugs in the room. Beds were very uncomfortable. The only good thing about this hotel was the hot breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank slgunderson
Reviewed 5 December 2005

Stopped for the night on the way through town - wanted something with a little more than the cheapest motel. This one was fairly comfortable for the most part, room was clean and linens were all there. Neighbors were a little noisy until 12:30 or so, but it was a Friday night... Full breakfast was a nice addition, saved me some time getting back on the road in the morning. From the other reviews, this hotel seems to be hit or miss - I didn't have any problems, although it sounds as if some people have not been happy here. May be advisable to check the room before you settle in for the night. Front desk staff was quite friendly and accomodating when I wanted a different room to avoid listening to the freeway all night.

2  Thank Swimmin_upstream