“Rundown hotel, but room service was great”

Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ngaglik
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was the first time to stay in this hotel.

It is 5 star hotel but now rundown , especially if we compared with other 5 star hotel in Yogyakarta.

The wing building next to my room was emptied. We could see the furniture were uncovered and that wing was dark at night.

Bedroom was not big, but it was still okay. The bathroom door was dusty, as if nobody cleaned it.
The glass door to the shower was also not clear.

Bathroom Amenities was great : tooth brush, soap, shower gel, shampoo, shaving kit, iron+iron board, pijamas, sandal

Hotel is not located in the central , hence if you plan to go to malioboro area, you need to consider the timing.

The garden was huge and nice, there was pathway for jogging or just walking . However, some part of the garden next to the lobby was bold. On the pathway to parking lot, we could see the back of the building, which was not nice as the wall was brownish.

The good thing was hotel has golf course as its facility.

It was easy to find food as surrounding hotel has many restaurants, but there is no ATM in walking distance.

Room service has many menu to be chosen around midnight. I chose sandwich and ice cream. When they came, I was so impressed with the appreance of ice cream : I ordered 1 scoop of ice cream and I expected it will be just a regular ice cream came in a bowl. However, the ice cream was served inside the apple and put in the plate ! Taste of that home made ice cream was great !

Breakfast was okay with a lot of varieties.

Staff was nice and helpful.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The grounds of this hotel are absolutely stunning. Beautiful flowers, pools and a gorgeous manicured golf course are really a sight to behold. Lounging by the pool was lovely in big comfy lounge chairs, although very loud due to the many families staying there. It's hard to get any quiet time because of the kids screaming and going down the water slide. The pool was also extremely cold, so we did not spend much time in it.

The room itself was nice and big, but, as many other reviewers have pointed out, very out-dated and in need of some revamping. Everything was very clean, although we found the room to be insufferably humid despite the temperature being mild outside, and our luggage was actually overweight when we left from all of our clothes being damp. We really would have liked to have had a balcony.

I felt the same way about the hot tub/ sauna/ cold plunge that are free for guests to use. While nice in theory, the facilities themselves did not feel very clean or new. The grout between the tiles was kind of grimy and the hot tub was so unbearably hot that I couldn't even get all the way in. Some more attention to detail is needed to make this place the 5-star experience that it has the potential to be.

We sadly also had several issues with the restaurant. While the staff was very polite and thoughtful, we had to wait a very long time to receive our food. One night, one of us received our food while the other waited another 40 minutes. When the second meal finally arrived, it was full of chicken despite being a supposedly vegetarian dish. Another 30-minute wait ensued. Also, it was only after asking that a non-vegetarian dish be modified to not have meat that the waiter revealed there was an entire separate vegetarian menu available. That would have been nice to know the first or second time that we ate at the restaurant. These complaints aside, we did eat some good food here. The gado gado was a hit for me, and my friend said the snapper was one of the best meals she ate during her entire month in Asia. We also loved the fresh juices, smoothies and pina coladas. It's nice that you can order these from the restaurant and have them delivered to you by the pool. Just don't get your heart set on a particular dish - we desperately wanted to try the spring rolls, but they were never available the entire time we were there.

There are some special touches that show the staff here really care. We were greeted with a delicious welcome drink and beautifully fragrant jasmine necklaces. We also loved that the staff insisted we sit while we checked in and brought all the paperwork to us; after the flight there, it felt nice to be so pampered. The staff was also very helpful in arranging cabs for us, as well as little take-out breakfasts for our sunrise trip to Borobudur. Finally, we loved the free tour of a local village that you could take by horse and buggy. The guide did not speak English and there wasn't all that much to see, but it was still a neat little treat to ride around in the buggy and get to see some of the area surrounding the hotel.

For what it's worth, we were here during Ramadan and were not disturbed at all. The hotel laid out little snacks for those breaking the fast, but they invited us to have some despite us not fasting. We heard the morning call to prayer but actually found it beautiful and not disruptive of our sleep at all.

I guess our review may be a little harsh because we stayed in some gorgeous places while we were in Bali. I should say that despite all of my minor complaints above, we never felt annoyed or put-off during our stay. The staff was lovely and accommodating, and the gorgeous surroundings make it hard to get hung up on any of these little details. This is a perfectly adequate place to stay in Yogya.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I have been a guest at this hotel for 700+ nights so obviously I have written a lot about the great service, ambiance, gardens and Golf
course. But, today I want to write about food.

Every Saturday, the hotel puts out a traditional buffet as "Night Market" around a Ramayana Ballet. It consists of several good carts that serve traditional dishes from Central Java.

I have always enjoyed that good but lately the taste and quality has been raised to a much higher level. When at market I am sure you will Nasi goreng, staple if Indonesia or Gado Gado salad. However, I want it highly recommend "Mie Godug" which stands for "Noodles Boiled". Heavenly dish consisting shrimp, chicken, vegetables, some spice and touch of lime juice (Pak Vikas recipe). The cart chef, little Chatur will make you the best tasting dish you will have eaten.

I had an Indonesian guest yesterday for dinner who commented; "I have been eating Mie Godug for last 35 years but never have tasted one this good".

What can I say more?

And to reiterate, service led by F&B director Renzo and his supervisors and servers Rindi and Diah as usual - Outstanding.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt regency Yogyakarta, Indonesia in late June, 2014, for one night. Was pleasantly surprised at the lovely design and layout of this beautiful hotel - very relaxing and peaceful in the midst of a very busy, vibrant city. Breakfast setting was very pleasant, with guests having the choice of sitting inside the coffee shop or outside in the cool, morning air not far from the gorgeous pool. Delightful!

Upon arrival at the hotel, guests are greeted with a fragrant, floral lei which is a lovely touch (like in Hawaii!). Check in, however, was very slow as only one staff member seemed to be on duty at peak hour in the late afternoon, after a plane from Jakarta had arrived. Need to manage such periods better.

Room was nice but nothing particularly special. Clean, large enough, with the usual touches and amenities. However, what spoilt my stay was the extra noisy fridge in the room which kept on going on/off all night with a mechanical noise.

Location of this hotel is fine if you are there for a nice break. However, it is a bit far from shops and restaurants. One needs transport to/from the hotel.

Would I stay there again? Definitely! A lovely hotel amidst the hustle and bustle of Yogya city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights with my mom last month.. because I love the restaurant beside this hotel (Sasanti) and wow what an amazing view from the lobby.. Mount of Kelud and the golf course are a perfect combi.. but too bad the room is old and shabby.. not to mention the poor selection of the breakfast.. my friend came to join breakfast with us at 9.30 am and the food was almost finished already... he can only eat waffle... I'm ashamed...

General Manager is my senior is STP Bali Hotel College.. so please Mr Nur do something with the hotel since it carries the great Hyatt name...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Pleasantly surprised by the Hyatt in Yogy. The staff are incredibly friendly. Service was great and the views were breathtaking. A excellent base for exploring Yogy and central Java and central to the markets and shopping.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Mt. Merapi.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 1 night (on our way to visiting Borobudur temples). Very nice hotel, amazing common areas (pool, lounge, gardens), very nice spa centre and amazing breakfast. Some renovations can be made in hotel rooms.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christina F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ngaglik
The Phoenix Hotel Yogyakarta - MGallery Collection
Royal Ambarrukmo Yogyakarta
Melia Purosani
Melia Purosani
#15 of 205 in Yogyakarta

Been to Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta? Share your experiences!