“Great boutique hotel”

Rumah Mertua Boutique Hotel & Garden Restaurant & Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ngaglik
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms and locations are OK. Other than that everything is awesome. Great staff. Very nice Indonesian garden and nice pool: pic attached. Nice restaurant with great food at modest prices. Have a rijstaffel: pic attached. Wonderful staff. Rooms kept spotless, shower is spacious and modern; no issues with either water temperature or pressure. Outsider room was a living room space (open to the garden) with sofa, tables and chairs, plenty of light at night, and a library of about a hundred books (probably donated after reading by previous guests: I saw a copy of The UnDutchables, a book I've only seen sold in A'dam.). It was shared with only one other room; if I had factored that into my rating I would have rated the room as Very Good.

I rated the location as Average. An explanation: the hotel is on the northern outskirts of Jogjakarta. Jogjja's not very big but traffic can be a pain. The neighborhood is no problem; I believe that the Hyatt resort is a stone's throw away. But it could take you a half hour to get down to the Karaton or to Maliaboro Street: taxi cost to city center was consistently running about 42,000 rupiah -US$3.50. The good news is that if you're going to Borobodur or Merapi from the hotel, you start out already on the north side, saving yourself half an hour coming and going.

The staff is happy to arrange for a taxi or all-day car hire (10 hours for 650,000 rupiah within Jogjakarta area, which includes Borobodur and Prambahan.

Personally I would sooner stay at a delightful boutique hotel north of downtown, than at a less satisfactory hotel within walking distance of the center city attractions. Yogyakarta is a delightful city and the gateway to two UNESCO world heritage sites as well as scores of other interesting attractions. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and recommend it to anyone coming to Jogjakarta for a holiday. Kudos to prior reviewers for bringing this gem to my attention.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Vincent M

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The best part of our great stay in Rumah Mertua was the friendly and helpful staff. We got an airport pickup and immediately felt very welcome by the driver and also later by everyone in the hotel itself.
We stayed in one of the rooms behind the beautiful pool. The room itself is nice but the bathroom could use some love. The patio in front of the room was great for having a tea or breakfast. And speaking of food: we found it to be very good and actually had dinner here all of the three nights we stayed.
We also booked a few day trips via the hotel which were also very nice: we got plenty of time at the Borobudur and Prambanan and it all felt really relaxed. The location is actually perfect for these trips: more to the north of Jogja so both temples and also the Merapi were less than an hour drive away. Being located in a quiet neighborhood, Rumah Mertua lacks a wide selection of restaurants at walking distance, but then you could also get a taxi to one of many nearby places via the reception.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is small and very clean. We stayed in the deluxe room and enjoyed to sit on the spacious veranda next to the beautiful pool. The food in the hotel is very tasty and offered to the typical hotel prices. We recommend the Rijstaffel dinner. We booked the 4D3N package that included two private tours and were very satisfied. The drivers gave us a lot of background information and brought us to delicious restaurants. One highlight was the trip to the beach where we shopped fresh fish on the market and then had it prepared by a tiny restaurant right at the beach. Delicious an very cheap. Definitely recommend this hotel!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We booked for a night but ended up staying three because the staff was so friendly, the food so good and the overall environment very peaceful and quiet. The spa therapists were also very good and offered outstanding value for money. I would definetely go back despite the distance from the centre (about 20-30 mins by taxi due to heavy traffic, less than 40,000 rupiah).

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wonderful place, especially the grounds and the pool - a relaxing oasis. Room was just ok but spotless. The sheets smelled moldy, but maybe it's due to the climate. Towels a bit threadbare/rough but always clean. Good and simple food in the restaurant with fair prices. Pleasant staff with great service. I highly recommend this place. If you can, pay a bit more and get a room in the back with private veranda otherwise it can get noisy since front rooms are next to breakfast and reception area and sound insulation is non-existent. About 25 min away from airport. I think it cost us 65,000 rupiahs when we got a car from the airport and hotel charged us about 90,000 or 95,000.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This small hotel is one of the best place to stay at Jogjakarta. About 15-20 minutes by car from downtown, rumah mertua surrounded by banana plantation and some local housing. It's the best choice to relax after travel around the noisy town.

The service also really good. Staff are really helpful and kind. We check-in around 7.00am, although the regulation states that check in time is at 2.00 pm. After that we got the welcome drinks and snack. I took the family room that accomodate 4 people and really satisfied with the room - clean, spacey, with mini bar, strongbox, and neat bathroom.The breakfast also good.

Room Tip: Take the family room if you travel with a lot of people.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Rumah Mertua is a lovely resort nestled amidst a kampung (a small village) away from the main road and the main shopping district. But not to worry, Malioboro Street is just a short taxi ride away (approx 15 mins - 35.000 Rp) and the journey to the airport should take approx 25 mins - 50.000 Rp.

The service here is impeccable. The staff are friendly, helpful and attentive. Rest assured that they are also proficient in English. You can request to take-away breakfast if you have an early flight to catch or if you are heading to Borobudur for sunrise, just like what we did. You can also pre-order your breakfast the night before if you intend to do an overnight trek at Mt Merapi. We did just that and they went an extra mile to serve us our "breakfast" at 12 noon in our room after we returned from the trek. They can also help you to call for a taxi if need be.

We stayed in a superior double room which is a good size for my partner and I and we didn't have any issues with the level of cleanliness. In fact, I thought it has a very homely feel to it. The only thing you may wish to take note of is, it takes a minute or so for the water in the bathroom to heat up. The room that we had is situated at the back of the resort hence is quieter than the others, I guess. It has a verandah which we didn't use. But I do see other guests having their meals and drinks there.

We stayed for four nights and free wifi is available in the room as well as in the dining area throughout our stay. If possible, I would recommend to have your breakfast in the dining area and take in the sights and sounds of nature. Just be forewarned that there may be guests who smoke (if you are a non-smoker). On the contrary to what most reviewers said, I thought the food are pricier as compared to what I can get outside.

All in all, I won't hesitate to return again if I'm looking for a relaxed vacation to Jogja.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment! There are only 11 rooms and they get fully booked very fast. Onl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Min82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ngaglik
Dusun Jogja Village Inn
#36 of 210 in Yogyakarta
Satoria Hotel Yogyakarta
Satoria Hotel Yogyakarta
#8 of 210 in Yogyakarta

Been to Rumah Mertua Boutique Hotel & Garden Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!