“Nothing is too much trouble for the wonderful staff in this tranquil haven.”

Rumah Mertua Boutique Hotel & Garden Restaurant & Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ngaglik
Reviewed 13 December 2010

The service I received was second to none. My room was cleaned every day, including the bed linen and towels. There were washing facilities on site which was very useful. With one phone call, the staff attended to my every need with courtesy, speed and a smile!

There was a lovely garden and pool and the eating areas were inside and out, whichever you wanted. I had my own terrace with my room and could sit in the morning eating my breakfast overlooking the garden. There is also a small spa where you can receive wonderfully relaxing and good value treatments.

The situation of the hotel was very handy for getting around. It is situated near the centre of Yogyakarta, although in a very peaceful spot. They have their own driver who can take you whereever you want within the city and beyond for a very reasonable price.

My favourite thing was having a relaxing treatment after a busy day. I really could not say that there was anything to fault, except that I cried when I had to leave!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Rumah Mertua Boutique Hotel & Garden Restaurant & Spa

Reviewed 10 December 2010

All I can say for this small boutique hotel is bliss.

I often travel alone. So, my ideal for a solo holiday is hassle-free holiday. Therefore I need some place to stay with a good price, easy access, nice food and friendly service.
Rumah Mertua by far can provide me with all things mentioned above.
Started from a nice response when I made reservation (although a bit hassle when they need a deposit for a booking where I have find a bank to transfer the money to their account) up until I reached the place. :-)

The place is a bit secluded around Monumen Jogja Kembali (Monjali) area. But it is accessible with taxi from the airport or train station. Do make sure your taxi driver knows the area where Rumah Mertua lies (Dusun Sedan -> the village name).

Once you get there, you'll see a regular house-like building. Nothing great about the look from outside, but when you come inside...geee...very homey, very Javanese, perfect (at least for me, LOL).

I reserved the deluxe room (USD 40 - quite expensive for backpackers though). But, it's worth every penny. The room was big, and I mean B.I.G., cozy and we have our own terrace in front of our room looking out to the pool, although covered by bushes :-). Anyhow, it's still pleasant.

The food...breakfast is not a buffet. But whatever your choice, it will satisfy your taste buds. :-) And I heard their rijstaffel is great also with a fair price.

In short....it's one great holiday escape. :-)

Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank alexanderdendol
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This is the perfect hotel for relaxing! A small boutique hotel, so it feels like you have a little paradise for your own. You can relax with a little snack at the swimming pool or with a massage at the new spa. The staff is so friendly, they're always smiling and taking care of you. You can always ask them things or just have a little conversation with them (they're English is good!). You can even hire a personal driver when you go cultural.
The comfortable rooms are very clean and spacious.
The restaurant is very cozy, 'cause it's like eating in a dining room at a home.
For breakfast you've got enough options, like pancakes, fresh fruits or toast with eggs! If you want it like the Indonesians, you can also eat nasi in the morning. For afternoon they've got some delicious snacks and for dinner the best meals! Traditional Indonesian food or french fries with chicken, you name it! Favorite: kwetiau goreng seafood.

We've been here now for two times and it's a worth a third one!
Best hotel we've ever been!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jerney_de_jong
Reviewed 24 November 2010

A lovely place. Very cozy, very relaxing, away from the hustle-bustle. Price is very reasonable as well. Food was pretty good with interesting selections. It was slightly away from the city but we had a local tour guide from the very beginning with a van. So, transport was not a problem. The only problem I had was the water at the showers was slow in draining out. There was a mini flood for a while. Otherwise, wonderful place!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank whitefreesia2
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Our first trip to Indonesia resulted on booking 6 nights at this superb hotel.
Many of our friends had previously stayed there so we sort of knew what to expect.
The staff were lovely and nothing is too much for them. Coffee at 5 in the morning and breakfast as early as you want and all this with very friendly smiles.
Our room was lovely with a seating area directly outside and also a bookcase filled with Dutch and English books to choose from.
The swimming pool was very inviting and all set in perfect surroundings.
On our 5th day we hired a chaffeur to take us to various sites. Pati was lovely and answered all our questions in perfect English.
We loved staying at this simply wonderful hotel and throughly intend to go bavk again.
The owner of this wonderful establishment was also lovely and helped us with reccommending and booking hotels and flights for the rest of our stay in Indonesia.
A perfect place to stay

3  Thank avamart
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Spent 3 nights at end Sept. A good, small boutique hotel outside the centre of Jogja. We were a little concerned when, being taken there for the first time we went down some pretty bumpy back streets but were pleased with what we found. Booked a standard room, which was adequate, but would recommend the deluxe which are a further from reception and around the pool. Good breakfasts. We had the banana pancakes which were v tasty. Wi-Fi worked fine. Reception staff were friendly, efficient and helpful.

We ate 2 evening meals there which were also good – better than the meals we ate elsewhere. We hired a car & driver twice. Ours was Yano who was a real nice young guy and a good driver. The hotel charges either by the hour or the (10 hour) day. It probably works out a bit more than haggling for a taxi, but it was convenient and imo reasonable.

1  Thank bibbleabroad
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who works in Yogya and are glad we took her advice. Everything about the place was very pleasant. We had the most basic room available and it was really good value, spacious, clean and right by the garden/ pool area. The Rumah Mertua seems quite small, and doesn't look much from the front, but it is staffed by friendly attentive people, the restaurant and inclusive breakfast are good, welcome drink a nice touch, and transport services excellent. We did not use the spa services so can't comment on them. The only slight issue people might have is the hotel is quite far from the centre of Yogya. For us that wasn't an issue, we used the hotel taxi to get into town, and it does make your stay quite peaceful to be out of the way - so it kind of depends on what you are happy with location wise.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ngaglik
Dusun Jogja Village Inn
#1 of 19 in Sleman
Jambuluwuk Malioboro
Jambuluwuk Malioboro
#30 of 206 in Yogyakarta

Been to Rumah Mertua Boutique Hotel & Garden Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!