“Still love it , but needs work” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dr. Thomas Walker State Historic Site

More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the first white explorer to travel through the Cumberland Gap.
Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Still love it , but needs work”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2005

I have been to Walker Park more times then I can count and I must say that each time I go I am disappointed more and more. At one time this park was in wonderful shape. There use to be lots of playground equipment for kids to play on. Now they have only one or two pieces of equipment that the kids can use. The last time I was there the grass was almost knee high and the part of the park that is 'under the hill' was mostly mud. The shelter here was very dirty, used condoms in the stone fireplace and all over the picnic area. I don't think they ever clean under the hill. The upper shelter always seems to be in good conditon. They have a nice basketball court and the putt putt is pretty fun. The replica of the house is still in great shape too. The gift shop they have is mostly over priced stuff that you could find in any Wal-mart. I think this park could be a wonderful tourist attraction for the city of Barbourville, if someone would just take the time to put a little hard work and money into the place. I will still go here, because I have many fond memories from when I was a little girl, but my heart aches just a little more each time I go.

2 Thank seashellgirl

A TripAdvisor Member
“A Great Day!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2004

I have lived in Barbourville all of my life and one of our favorite places to go is Walker Park. There are plenty of shelters for group picnics, as well as lots of other tables and areas for quiet little picnics. They have a small store, a large play area, putt putt, horse shoe pits, basketball goals, and plenty of ways to entertain the whole family for a day. There is no shortage of things to do. And there is also a replica of the first cabin in Kentucky right in the middle of it all. I recommend a visit here for a great day!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member