“Not impressed”
Review of Old Talbott Tavern

Old Talbott Tavern
Ranked #5 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed there for guys trip in April. We were placed in Lincoln suite which is nice besides the full size bed that two grown adults could never sleep in. Had to revert to sleeping on couches and the floor. The thermostat cover was not on & had exposed wires hanging from it. We couldn't adjust the temperature and woke up in the middle of the night sweating. The last night we stayed there, I was locked out of the hotel. There isn't staff on at night so they give you keys to come in go through the night. Needless to say I tried getting in the hotel for about 30 minutes to no evail. If someone were to lose their keys then I guess there out of luck because there is nothing posted on the entrance about emergency situations. I was told by the staff I would received a call from the manager and never received one about the problems we had. Love bardstown, but will be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank eddie g

Reviewed 31 March 2013

The Old Talbott Tavern is such a great place to feel like you're in an old style tavern. With that said though there is no sign of musty or old smell here. I have a mold allergy and didn't detect anything at all. We walked in and upon check in in the lobby you can feel the wooden floor is slightly sloped. The place is supposed to be haunted according to legend. Unfortunately I didn't experience anything. My husband said that in the middle of the night he woke up and he heard somebody pouring a glass of water....five times. Of course the scientific mind that he has he said it must be the plumbing. Maybe?

We stayed here on a Tuesday and Wednesday night so there was no band. From what I have read, that could be a really big problem when trying to get sleep. We had no problem. We stayed in the Washington Irving Suite. It had a whirlpool tub which we wanted. Yes, I know, that didn't exist in the 1700s but I sometimes like the amenities in life. The rooms were all updated. and very clean. The room had a fireplace in it but was told it's not working.

We ate dinner here also and also went to the adjoining Bourbon Bar where we had the Bourbon Sampler. Five samples of your choice of bourbons. The samples were full shot glasses so make sure you're sharing. This is a great way to try some of the bourbons that are not on your tour. We met some others also doing the samplers so we had some great conversations and got some great information on what else to do in the area.

Dinner was good but not great. It was great that we didn't have to drive anywhere for dinner being that we did a total of 2000 miles for our trip. We had the appetizer sampler which was really a fried sampler; fried pickles, fried green tomatoes and fried banana peppers. I would take a pass on that next time. Hubby had the Hot Brown and I had a burger. He said it was good but since neither one of us ever had it before, we couldn't tell you if it was good or not for a Hot Brown. My burger I ordered rare and rare it was. Normally I order it rare and it comes out medium/rare. This was definitely rare. Others may not care for it that rare.

We ate breakfast here the first morning and would take a pass on that. Basically coffee, OJ, a packaged danish and biscuits with butter. Second morning we walked over to Mammy's and that was delicious. Perhaps on the weekends there is a better breakfast.

The Tavern is literally in the middle of town so it's walking distance to all the shops.
If we come through here again I would come back. I love the history of the building.

Room Tip: If you're staying here on the weekends when there is a band, your best bets would be the Lincoln...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank evilmell
Reviewed 18 March 2013

be forewarned, there is a band that plays until 1am friday and saturday. i WAS aware of this. they tell you when you book AND when you show up too. so no way you could complain about that at all. the room was VERY comfortable, the bar downstairs is great, breakfast is a solid southern meal and there are tons of great spots to walk to very close. this place is outstanding and i definitely recommend it as long as staying up unitl 1am fri/sat is in the cards for you!

Room Tip: if you stay in the FRONT of the hotel the (like the Lincoln suite) the noise is slightly quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed for the third time in May, 2012. The Daniel Boone room is the one we always ask for. May is off season, I guess, because the room was very low priced. Meal was great, as always and we met a nice couple from Australia. When we drive through Kentucky, we detour to Talbott Tavern and Bardstown.

Room Tip: Daniel Boone Room is great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Eleanor N
Reviewed 14 January 2013

My wife and I returned to the Old Talbott Tavern from a year ago and again had a delightful visit. Our lunch was served quickly and the staff was very friendly.

Just to walk around the Inn and to think who might have visited or stayed there is exciting in of itself (if you are a history buff). The location is excellent (center city circle area) for from here you can walk the whole downtown.

Great photo ops also.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2012

It has been several months since I stayed at the Old Talbott Tavern and I am planning to go back soon. I stayed in "The Generals Quarters" The room was so lovely, staff was friendly and I loved roaming around and reading the historical facts and seeing pictures. I think we may have even caught a glimpse of a ghost! Can't wait to go back for another stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We travelled through town on our way back to Louisville from a Makers Mark Bourbon tour. The setting is quaint and very historic. The food was what you would expect in a tavern - good quality and reasonably priced. If you are driving through the area, it is worth a stop.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends