“Beware!!!”
Review of Old Talbott Tavern

Old Talbott Tavern
Ranked #5 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2013

When I booked my room for my stay during the Bourbon festival, I was told that during the festival there will be music in the bar so it will be noisy (as you can hear the music in the room). I stood in the Washington Irving Suite which is directly over the bar. I said that's ok, I figured a little noisy wouldn't be too bad. Ha!!

Noisy isn't even the word for it.....more like they were trying to break the sound barrier. Totally crazy it sounded as if the band was right in the bedroom with speakers that are needed for maybe a very large arena!!! I had the TV volume up to 100 and still couldn't hear it through the music.

Cleanliness is not their forte....the second day I go to the front desk and say don't you make the beds and take away the dirty towels....they respond oh the girls don't like to go into the bedrooms they don't want to be accused of stealing...???...but we will have someone come and take the dirty towels away. Nope didn't happen. So next day I tell them well now there are 2 days worth of dirty towels in the bathroom. I call the manager and she says oh if you want your room cleaned and sheets changed you have to let us know....whoever heard of such a thing not me....so I say of course I want my sheets changed and at least clean the bathroom.

Continental breakfast is included but is only served between 9am and 10am...and on Fri, Sat and Sun a full breakfast is included. So on Friday morning we go down for the full breakfast...we thought we would be choosing from the menu....NO they bring you out a dish with a spoonful of scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon, a slice of tomatoe, 2 biscuits and gravy that looked like glue. Terrible we could't even eat it, we both don't eat scrambled eggs and the biscuits tasted uncooked and we wouldn't even touch the GLUE. We left and went down the street to Mammy's and had a good breakfast.

The only good thing about this place is its location. Right in the middle of the town, not that the town is very big with lots to do....NOT.

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank defrancopf

Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you love history and nostalgic places to stay, then this is your place! Very clean, and comfortable. The resturant has some of the best food. My favorite was the pot roast. I know you can make this at home, but you have to try theirs and see if you can do better. I cannot wait to return

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick P
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This place is very unique, built back in the late1700's. It is NOT an elegant hotel, but if you are looking for a quirky place to stay this will fit the bill..They have a great veranda to sit and enjoy a nightcap. You can watch the night club action from a distance and be glad you don't have to participate. They offer a breakfast with you stay, but it wasn't all that great, but acceptable for the price of free. They are very relaxed with the check out process I'm not sure there was an employee to work the front desk. There is a bar below that has live music on Friday and Saturday, so it was very loud, but that was disclosed to us when I booked the room, and was not a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for the haunted room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Best Western Motel in Bardstown was a great place to stay! The room was very clean, spacious, with amenities like microwave, small fridge, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and a coffee maker. The lobby furniture was very unusual and quite unique. The staff at the motel were extremely friendly and accommodating. The Stephen Foster Story is always wonderful. We have seen it several times and the talent is always great! Many nice shops in Bardstown to browse through if you have the time. A shuttle picked us up at the motel, took us to the play, picked us up and brought us back afterwards. Sure was nice not to have to park and walk a mile! A great place to spend a day, an evening, and a night! A very relaxing getaway - highly recommended for a romantic day or two!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 122, behind the main motel. Much less road noise and you have a view of the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We decided to stay at the Talbott Tavern because of the historical significance. Typical of an older, historic inn. Don't expect a modern hotel. Rooms were a little dated, but clean. We stayed in the Washington Irving suite, which was roomy and the bathroom nice. If you are staying during the week they do not have a full breakfast. When we were there, on a Thursday, we were given cereal, prepackaged Danish, biscuits, milk and coffee (although no creamer). There is a nice balcony on the second floor that overlooks the center of town, which I think was the smoking area. There is a restaurant there which looked nice, although we didn't get to eat here. Heard that it was supposed to be haunted, but we didn't experience anything unusual.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed at the Talbott Tavern as part of a weekend getaway. The young woman at the front desk was friendly and helpful, getting us signed in efficiently. We were in the Daniel Boone room, which is supposedly the most haunted room at the inn. We didn't encounter any ghosts during our stay, unless it was a ghost that made the toilet start running at random.The room was spacious, with a queen bed that's seen better days, a couple chairs, a desk, a noisy refrigerator, and a private bathroom. After checking in, we enjoyed an early dinner in the tavern's restaurant. The food was filling and delicious!! By the time we returned to our room, the first band of the evening was playing. Our room was literally right above the band. Needless to say, it was noisy. With the inn situated in the center of town, we opted to walk around town for a while, with a enjoyable stop at the nearby Kentucky Bourbon House. After trying a couple bourbon cocktails, we ambled back to the inn in time for the next band to take the stage. We'd already planned to spend the evening in the bar, so we dropped off our jackets and returned downstairs. As guests of the inn, we were not charged a cover charge. The band was really good. The breakfast in the morning consisted of traditional Southern fare: coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits. Very filling! Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and comfortable and served its purpose well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KayJay72
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed there for guys trip in April. We were placed in Lincoln suite which is nice besides the full size bed that two grown adults could never sleep in. Had to revert to sleeping on couches and the floor. The thermostat cover was not on & had exposed wires hanging from it. We couldn't adjust the temperature and woke up in the middle of the night sweating. The last night we stayed there, I was locked out of the hotel. There isn't staff on at night so they give you keys to come in go through the night. Needless to say I tried getting in the hotel for about 30 minutes to no evail. If someone were to lose their keys then I guess there out of luck because there is nothing posted on the entrance about emergency situations. I was told by the staff I would received a call from the manager and never received one about the problems we had. Love bardstown, but will be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank eddie g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
General Nelson Inn
#1 of 2 in Lebanon
Comfort Suites Elizabethtown
Comfort Suites Elizabethtown
#2 of 18 in Elizabethtown

Been to Old Talbott Tavern? Share your experiences!