“Old and Tired”

Ranked #5 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Old and Tired”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I were doing the bourbon trail and wanted to stay in Bardstown for 2 nights (had stayed in Versailles for 2 as well). The Talbott Inn needs some serious updating, while still maintaining its historical roots. Fortunately, we were there mid-week so weren't bothered by the bar music. Our room, the Washington Irving Suite, is worn and needs a good cleaning. The bedroom is very small, no closet or armoire to hang clothing. The only hooks are behind the front door. The bathroom needs a good scrubbing. Breakfast is the same each morning: a selection of cereal and scrambled eggs. But the location is very central and easy to get in and out of town. The Visitors' Center is across the street and the people there are extremely helpful and accommodating. Don't waste your money on the Talbott, find another place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just got back from a trip to KY, which included a stop in Bardstown. We stayed one night in the Inn and had a decent experience. We stayed on a Saturday night in the Lincoln suite, and we're advised of the noise. The suite was what I had expected for something this age, although we went to bed before the band ended, most of the noise was from the street corner as the windows are paper thin! Was nervous after reading about the ghost stories, but did not hear, see or experience anything, that was probably because of the 2 Benadryl I took and the earplugs I had.

Breakfast was decent and fast, the bar area had decent food, and cheap drinks and the band was good. If you don't want to deal with noise this is not the place, but I would recommend as it has a ton of history. The less noisy rooms were the Lincoln and General Quarters. The other rooms were in a separate hallway, which felt creepy.

The lobby area had some gifts at decent prices, and everything was a short walk away. We also visited the bourbon marketplace which was nice for trying different whiskey. Had dinner at the Rick House which was very good at a decent price.

Room Tip: Less noisy rooms were the Lincoln and General Quarters.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AZMegs
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This review is only applicable to the bar area, we did not stay here. My first impression of the place is it’s famous for being famous and is resting on its laurels. If you’re looking to relax with a bourbon in a place with some good atmosphere, this is not the place. I strongly suggest avoiding this place. Although our first experience was less than positive we decided to give it a second chance, it will not get a third. The service was slow and the bartender was incompetent. We sat at the bar and watched the bartender make three cocktails incorrectly. She was obviously not familiar with the drink menu and even tried to convince me I was reading the menu wrong. After convincing her to read the menu herself, she agreed she made me the wrong cocktail and started again. Save yourself some disappointment and walk by this tourist trap.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AUS_in_US_13
Jim K, Owner at Old Talbott Tavern, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Let me first apologize for your disappointing visits. I appreciate such feedback and intend to use this as a training opportunity. We try to train our staff to interact with customers in a positive manner. Sometimes this goal may not be accomplished. We will attempt to re- train them and if they don't get it then we will ask them to seek other employment. It is not our intention to be another tourist trap. Owning the Talbott Tavern is something we do so others may have some sort of feeling how people went about their daily lives during the colonial period through modern history. We are definitely not out to take advantage of any of our customers. If a customer is not happy with their visit we encourage them to ask for management or myself.

Travellers are raving about these Bardstown hotels

Sharpsburg, GA
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I were in the area to travel down the Bourbon Trail. We called to make sure that we could get a room for the night and were told the only room available was the Washington Irving Suite, at $120. We thought, why not. The reviews were great and we were on vacation. What a waste of our money!! The room was old, dirty and really not that special. The pictures on their website aren't a true representation of what the room really looks like. There is a reason there is no picture of the bathroom. The next morning we got up for breakfast. No one was in the kitchen, I looked. There was cold cereal, coffee and orange juice on a table in the dining room. There was no one at the front desk or any where else in the hotel, except for the women cleaning the rooms. After waiting about 30 minutes, a harried chef comes out of the kitchen and states she will have our breakfast out for us soon. The breakfast she brought out was good. Something you could get at any iHop. When we were ready to check out there still wasn't anyone at the front desk. I went back to the kitchen, the only place I knew I had seen a human being and asked the chef what I was to do with the key. She said to just leave it on the front desk. We will not go there again or recommend that the Old Talbott Tavern to anyone we know.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorraine B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed in the General's Quarters's very pretty room with two twin beds. Loved the lunch fare in the tavern. The fried green tomatoes are a must have! There is a neat drugstore with an old time soda fountain counter across the street from the hotel too. Might want to check that out and take a tour of the Jailers Inn next door to the Talbott also.
Great hotel staff and great experience all around! (My only suggestion would be to add additional parking exclusively for hotel guests as parking is a little bit of a pain in this area).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My Partner and myself stayed overnight. Nothing paranormal happen during our stay but the place does have some vibes about it.
The room itself was nice and clean. We had nice views and the bed was wonderful.
It is pretty cool to stay at such an historic place. The price is fair and I believe it's the best place to stay in town.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TaylorAngel502
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Great price awesome staff!
I am a skeptic when it comes to paranormal, but now I believe. Stayed in Washington Irving room.
After 2am - all hell breaks loose. Running, banging, children yelling. Loud knocking on my door, takes me 1 second to answer & NO ONE is there (we were the only ones there-staff left an hour before "noises")
Wake up to find all contents of my purse emptied all over the room & cell phone mysteriously unplugged from charger then somehow made it across room into a glass of water.
I am definitely staying there again (I'm bringing my orthodox baptismal cross necklace!)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank JanethaGreek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
General Nelson Inn
#1 of 2 in Lebanon
Best Western Shepherdsville
Best Western Shepherdsville
#2 of 9 in Shepherdsville

Been to Old Talbott Tavern? Share your experiences!