“Not so great!”
Review of Old Talbott Tavern

Old Talbott Tavern
Ranked #5 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having lived in Bardstown and visited the Inn many times I made the choice to bring two of my friends to experience a night in the Inn with dinner. I was told there would be no charge for the most uncomfortable roll away ever,there was. The bathroom in the Generals Room is so small you can bearly get in and needs a good scrub. Knowing there were three of us they should have suggested another room when I called. The facet needs repair,the hairdryer was smoking and not working,the balcony needs a good cleaning. In general someone needs to take better care of the old town treasure. The breakfast was the best part of the visit. The dinner that night was good but not up to the old standards. Visit the Talbott for its History,stay anyplace else.

Room Tip: ALL rooms are noisy especially on the weekends. Stay next door at the Old Jail or in a near by mote...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pettitt5
There are newer reviews for Old Talbott Tavern

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I visited the tavern on aug. 9 2014 my husband and I didnt make reservations. I guess we should have because the red hair hostess told us we would have to wait because theres a reason people reserve their spots. there was 2 hostesses in the front one young lady greeted us with a smile and made us feel very welcome and I found her to be very helpful with questions and how quickly she was able to seat us even though we made the mistake of not making reservations she assured us there was no problem. The other young lady with red hair rolled her eyes and appeared to be very frusturated with how many people were waiting and acted like she was put out and just wished we would leave. She was bossy and rude to the other girl. The food was ok, took longer then average and our server was very sweet. Everyone appeared as if nothing was going right. pure kaos. Probably won't be back. This was our third wasted trip and third strike your out. Don't know where the managment is but they should get it together. My mom and dad had plans next week to come for their 23rd anniversary and I sure hope they change their minds. Such an important day to waste on a mediocre poorly ran "restaurant"

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Jax1984
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My group and I stayed in two rooms: The General's Quarters and the Anton Heinrich Room. Both were farily clean and adequate. The real problem I had was with the mattresses. They were all long past needing to be replaced, especially the two in the General's Quarters where I stayed. Thin, lumpy, uncomfortable; if I hadn't been so exhausted from traveling all day, I wouldn't have slept at all. I did note this problem to the attendant at checkout, but didn't get much of a response and would bet that this may not be corrected in the near future.

In the morning, we had absolutely no hot water and were unable to shower before going down for breakfast. As soon as we reached the bottom of the stairwell, we were met with a woman who was complaining about a water leak in the front area of the restaurant who wanted us to go back upstairs and check our bathroom. We explained that we had no hot water, so the problem couldn't be coming from our room, at which point she went upstairs (we later learned she was the housekeeper) to check for herself. Not sure how that turned out, but we did find out that someone had turned our hot water off at the wall connection (who does that, anyway?), so problem ultimately solved.

Our group did enjoy the upstairs patio overlooking the street for several hours. Traffic on a Sunday night was pretty light and it was fairly quiet -- a good place to sit back and relax while people-watching.

Breakfast was cooked to order rather than buffet-style. Everyone got eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. Coffee, orange juice and cold cereals were also available. It was fine, but average at best.

As much as I enjoyed the historic aspect of this B&B, it could stand to have a few improvements. Until that happens, I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you stay on a weekend night (Friday/Saturday), you are warned about the music in the bar, which g...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2014

In the heart of the Bourbon trail we thought this would be lovely. We got there and checked in to find a filthy room with no air conditioning. I mean this is a weekend and obviously they new people were coming and no one bothered to prepare the room. I immediately asked about another room and they were sold out? The Manager had no clue how to re-imburse me and had to call the GM. We decided to cut our losses and ended up back in Lexington, KY. What a disappointment. We had planned to have dinner their but as it turned out it was our saving grace to not waste another minute and to get out of there. Wow I don't know with the lack luster attitude you can afford to stay in business. So I would highly recommend by passing this place and keep moving in any other direction.

Room Tip: Run fast and do not stay here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Geneva48
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stopped in for a cocktail, the wood bar is just beautiful, old and a lot of history. Friendly people both employees as well as patrons. Easy to tell there was a mix of locals as well as tourists. Huge bourbon list. Well worth the stop in.

Went back the next day and did a tour upstairs if the bed and breakfast. This place is packed with history as well a famous people that have stayed. Abraham Lincoln as a boy, Daniel Boone, Jesse James, to name a few. The dining room as well as the fireplace are beautiful. Don't miss a opportunity to visit this place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lou K
Reviewed 17 June 2014

First of all, the Old Talbott is a historical building and definitely worth visiting. The place is full of history and the staff are friendly and helpful. You can ask questions and walk around the inn and enjoy the historical nature of the building.

Do not stay for dinner or take a room. We stayed in the Lincoln suite and it was a nightmare. The noise from highway 31 is like staying ten feet from the interstate. The noise does not quiet down until about 3 am and then only slightly. There seems to be a shortage of mufflers for motorized vehicles in Bardstown. Not only can you hear the traffic all night long you can hear everything that goes on downstairs. You actually have to sign a waiver on Fri/Sat that you are willing to put up with the bar noise until 2am! The bed is narrow and barely 6 ft long.

The room was a mess. It was dirty and improperly maintained. There was a dingy, crushed couch in living room that was hard to sit on. The TV gets about ten channels but for some reason you get the same channel three times? The toilet was running when we checked in at 3 pm but the maintenance man had gone home for the day so we had to listen to the toilet run off and on all night long. It appears the waitresses do double duty as the front desk staff of the inn. We never saw anyone that looked like an owner or manager. By the way the staff goes home at 9 pm on weekdays and you are left completely alone in the inn. Good luck if something happens or you need anything.

The mirror in the bathroom was broken and about to fall out of it's wooden frame. The hot water handle came off in my hand at the chipped and dingy sink. The tub had large pieces of enamel missing and broken handles. When my wife finished her bath there was a frantic knock on the door from the staff informing us that they have a leak downstairs from the draining tub. The shower curtain frame was held together with an ace bandage. Don't even get me started on the indoor extension cord running power outside.

The food was good; not bad, not great. For the price however it was not a good value. There are several other places within walking distance that offer as good or better food at cheaper prices.

Just because it is an old historical build does not mean it has to be dingy, loud, and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynnette J
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I were doing the bourbon trail and wanted to stay in Bardstown for 2 nights (had stayed in Versailles for 2 as well). The Talbott Inn needs some serious updating, while still maintaining its historical roots. Fortunately, we were there mid-week so weren't bothered by the bar music. Our room, the Washington Irving Suite, is worn and needs a good cleaning. The bedroom is very small, no closet or armoire to hang clothing. The only hooks are behind the front door. The bathroom needs a good scrubbing. Breakfast is the same each morning: a selection of cereal and scrambled eggs. But the location is very central and easy to get in and out of town. The Visitors' Center is across the street and the people there are extremely helpful and accommodating. Don't waste your money on the Talbott, find another place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
General Nelson Inn
Wingfield Inn & Suites
Wingfield Inn & Suites
#2 of 18 in Elizabethtown
Holiday Inn Express Suites Elizabethtown

Been to Old Talbott Tavern? Share your experiences!