“unique, clean but a little disappointing”

Jailer's Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
cincinnati, ohio
“unique, clean but a little disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I might have something better to say about this place had we been able to stay for both of the nights that I "booked". Dixie was a very nice woman, however was very confused during the reservation process and unfortunately managed to screw up the dates. We were only able to stay the first night of our planned two night trip. Paul and Dixie did their best to make up for the error, which kept our trip from being ruined. On another note, the Hampton in Bardstown is VERY nice.
We stayed in the Victorian room in a very comfortable bed, but neither of us slept much all night. On the bright side, we did NOT experience any disturbing noises or the feeling that there was any type of 'haunting' going on. The house could use a little updating but was very intriguing and extremely clean. The tour was short and sweet but contained a lot of interesting information about the history of the jail.
Our visit to the Talbott Inn for dinner and drinks was enjoyable and the bartender/manager was entertaining.

Room Tip: Victorian room (room #1) was quiet, clean, but was windowless.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank queenie548

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

My niece (12 yrs), nephew (6), husband, and I all went for one night. We stayed in the Library Room. It wasn't luxury, but that didn't bother us. We mainly went because of the haunting experience and boy did we come to the right spot! We did have a few occurrences happen (lights went from dim to bright, channels turning by its self, pillows would get knocked off the bottom of the bed, our cooler handle kept falling down, heard bells, and heard some knocks.) It was a lot of fun and my nephew wasn't even scared!
Dixie (inn keeper) was a sweetheart! She told us the history of the place and was just overall a great host! I believe if it wasn't for Dixie it wouldn't have been as fun. She made our trip worth the 3 hour drive. The breakfast was great! She even gave the kids cereal since they may have not liked the French Toast. Everything was pretty clean and nice. The TV was a bit small but that wasn't a deal breaker. I do look forward to returning again!

Room Tip: If you do not want to be waken up for breakfast in the morning, do not pick the Library Room. You c...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shalena H
Pulaski, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

Let me begin by saying that I am not one to leave a nasty, tasteless review. I by no means want to be rude or disrespectful, my only intention is to review my trip as accurately as possible.

My husband and I spent two nights, Saturday and Sunday night in Cell #2 (Colonial Room). We happened upon this opportunity when I purchased a Groupon. I would have been even more upset about our stay if I would have spent more money on our trip. At first glance I was happy with the room because it was large. Upon farther inspection it was dingy. There were cob webs in corners and there was an overall sense of it being unkempt. I'm not saying that it was not clean, just needed general maintenance. The bedroom was large and spacious but just gave you a sense of needing a thorough cleaning. The bathroom had linoleum flooring that had several holes in it. It also had a jacuzzi tub. The fixtures were in terrible shape. There were holes in the walls where towel bars had fallen and the holes had not been patched. I could go on but I won't.... Normally, I do not take baths but due to the incredible cold, I decided to. Mistake. I was only able to run approx. 3-4 inches of water in the tub before running out of hot water. The next morning my husband and I both had to take cold showers. I reported this to the staff. The lady that took the report stated that another coupled had also complained about the hot water and she would make sure that the owner know that there was a problem.

One more thing that really bothered me. We were in room #2 which is on the 1st floor. Breakfast is served on both the 1st and 2nd floor. Unfortunately for us, the 1st floor breakfast table was literally outside our door. So, even though we decided not to go to breakfast because we didn't enjoy it, we were unable to sleep in due to the noise outside our door. Regardless of whether we would have been upstairs or downstairs this scenario would have still applied. Of course, during warmer weather, breakfast is served outside.

Breakfast was not impressive. We went to Mammy's which was wonderful. I will be writing a review on it later =).

We were assured that the thermostat on the hot had just stuck. He said that he ran a steady stream of hot water for 30 minutes and there were no problems. FANTASTIC!!!! It was cold in KY and we both needed hot showers! Unfortunately, we didn't get them.....

This B&B has SO much potential!!!!! It is in a prime location and is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, it needs a ton of TLC. I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone at this point and I will definitely not be returning to the Jailer's Inn. However, we will be returning to Bardstown in the near future to visit a few distilleries that we missed.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in make sure to travel during warmer weather to ensure that breakfast is being...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda K
Auburn, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

Last fall we spent two nights at Jailer's Inn B&B in Bardstown, Ky and thorougly enjoyed our stay. This is not the typical, beautiful Victorian or farmhouse B&B. This is an actual old jail and the rooms are former cells that have been attractively renovated. Not only did we enjoy our room, but we also enjoyed the rest of the jail, including the morning breakfast and tour following. After breakfast our host guided us on a tour of the old jail complete with tales of its former days, including ghost stories, which one could chose to believe or not to believe. Many stories, however, were factual and the old jail clearly has an interesting history. Staying at the Jailer's Inn was a delightful experience and we would happily return if we're even in the area again.

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Luxurious? No. Fun? Yes. Will appeal to both history buffs and paranormal hobbyists. I'm neither, but I certainly enjoyed an overnight sentence in the historic, haunted Bardstown County Jail cell #6. Dixie and Paul were a delight. The location is ideal if exploring the Kentucky Bourbon trail

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank RaggedSole
Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have stayed at many B&Bs and I felt that they were definitely overpriced, especially for the off-season. Host was knowledgeable and friendly but accommodations were substandard. Cobwebs in corners, chairs dingy with holes in upholstery. Didn't seem as clean as it should have been. And it was freezing. Air conditioner was still in the window. Have had better breakfasts at other B&Bs. Should have left and found different lodging but we were on our way home and didn't want the hassle. I think this place has potential but it definitely needs a makeover.

3 Thank Jan F
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was one of the highlights of the recent trip my wife and I took to historic Bardstown. First off,I am a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal,and always try to debunk anything mysterious.We stayed in the 1819 room which is reported to be the most haunted room.I got a bad vibe from the moment I stepped into the room. My wife was awakened between 3-4AM hearing a female voice whisper "hello",and feeling something putting pressure on her arms/chest.
Dixie is a wonderful hostess,and very knowledgable and friendly.It would be worth going back to Bardstown just to talk to her again! BTW the cherubs are freaking EVIL!

4 Thank Kejola1969
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
General Nelson Inn
Wingfield Inn & Suites
Wingfield Inn & Suites
#4 of 17 in Elizabethtown
Bourbon Manor Bed & Breakfast

Been to Jailer's Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!