“great idea, "fun" accomodation, poor breakfast”

Jailer's Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 December 2005

The great part about staying at this B & B is getting the staying-in-jail experience. Not comfortable, but i's not supposed to be. Unfortunately, the breakfast was worse than jailhouse fare (uncooked pancakes, etc).Our young son had the pleasure, however, of being able to shock his teacher when she asked a few days later "What did you do this summer?" ..by answering "I was in jail" [actually the conversation was in German and she replied "wassss?!]. Location excellent for Bardstown including the woderful Old Kentucky Dinner Train

• Stayed: August 1999
1  Thank CintiKid

A TripAdvisor Member
PA
Reviewed 15 January 2005

If you're looking for a place with atmosphere, the Jailer's Inn has plenty of it. The ghost stories, the court yard where hangings took place (photos are displayed) and the actual prison cells that have been left in their original state (for display only) are all great. But if you want anything else, you'll be sadly disappointed. Expect to eat out for breakfast. Mr. McCoy only serves some baked french toast thing that's supposed to be stuffed with cream cheese (I didn't detect any) and some kind of jam on top. No eggs, no biscuits, no bacon, just this stuff, and I do mean every morning. The cleaning is abysmal at best. I think a vaccuum is quickly run over the open areas and nothing more. I don't think the furnature has been moved and cleaned under in years. No I'm not exaggerating. I felt like getting a rag and scrubbing the place. And if you have a problem with pet hair, STAY AWAY. It's everywhere. And too bad, too. With just a little effort, this could be a wonderful place. I'm glad I went, for atmosphere's sake, but I'll never be back. How very sad.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 10 November 2004

I went to the Jailor's Inn a year ago and plan to go again here soon. A couple of friends and myself decided to try and find some ghosts. We stayed in the room that is still a jail cell. This room has three beds. The only thing "spooky" that happened while we were there was this; we had a ouji board that we were playing with, I know that sounds goofy, but we wanted ghosts. While we were playing with the ouji board my friend was yelling at the "ghosts". right about that time, outside of the room a rather large ceramic bowl busted into hundreds of pieces. We thought at first the guy that owned the place was messing with us until we found out that he was at the Talbott next door. I dunno it was fun, and I'm going back to try and see ghosts again. If you get a chance to go you should it's an experience. Oh and you get a little breakfast and tour of the place the next morning!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member