“Nice hotel marred by the horrible staff”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Bardstown
Reviewed 26 May 2012

First of all, let me start with the positives. This hotel was clean, our room was very nice, as were the rooms of our other guests who came in for our daughter's wedding. The continental breakfast was good, and the eating area was spacious. We were allowed to remove chairs from the dining area to take to our room to accommodate the makeup artist, who needed additional seating while doing makeup for the bride and bridesmaids.

Now, the negatives. I've stayed at Choice Hotels all over the southern United States. Being a platinum member, Choice hotels are the only ones we use. That being said, I've never encountered ruder staff anywhere. Our daughter got married at My Old KY Home on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. We set up a block of rooms for our out of town guests back in October, to make sure people would have a place close by to stay should they choose to do so. We were able to obtain a discount ($20 off each room), and were told to tell our guests to mention they were part of the Smith/Jones* wedding (not real names), to obtain this discount. I thought that meeting went very smoothly, but found that at least 90% of my guests were given a hard time when they tried to make their reservations. One of the friends of the couple was actually told (even though they have a 24 hour cancellation policy) that she would be responsible for the room in the event the couple broke up. I felt this was highly inappropriate, and told them so, but only after numerous other events happened. The flower girl's family requested, and were denied, a late checkout. They ended up renting their room for another night, just so they could have a place to get dressed and relax before the wedding. They were unable to stay the additonal night, but i noticed that their room was rented to someone else last night, when we finally got back to the hotel. So, the hotel made double the money on that one room. Then, when I went to the desk to ask if I could have until noon to get my belongings moved from the room my husband and I had, across the hall to the suite the bride/bridesmaids had, the girl at the desk looked at the clock, saw that it was 10:50, and told me I had 10 minutes. The only one who was halfway reasonable was a younger man (who wore glasses..I didn't catch his name), who tried to accommodate when he could. When I mentioned that I'd never had such bad service at a
Choice hotel, the woman behind the desk (an older woman), actually laughed! We were informed that they are not a "full-service" hotel, so my request for housekeeping once we left the room was denied. The housekeeper then told me that they "run her out" as quickly as they can. When I asked if we could at least get extra towels, since the 4 girls sharing the suite would be using all of them, she told me she couldn't give me extra towels, they would have to come from the front desk. This is the only hotel I've EVER been in that has a notice in the bathroom warning guests that if towels are damaged or stolen, there would be a charge ($5/wash cloth, $10/towel). Now, I don't know who would want to steal one of those sand papery towels, but I did wonder who decides what constitutes "damage" in their minds. The notice said that these charges would be filed to the credit card they had on file. My nephew and his wife were staying courtesy of his mother (my sister), but had to use his own credit card..they refused to honor her credit card, even though she told them when she called and made the reservation that she was doing this for her son, and wouldn't be there with the card to show them. The older gentleman who we dealt with in our initial meeting was in the breakfast area when a child younger than 2 let out a yell....I saw him turn and glare at the parents and child.

All in all, while I LOVE Comfort Inn and ONLY stay at Choice Hotels...if I have reason to stay in Bardstown again in the future, I'll go across the street to Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, and the rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Lisa B
Allen P, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

In response to this, I would have to say that I am sorry if you were inconvenienced by the issues that you and your guests had encountered. First off, our hotel only allows late checkouts up to 2 pm based upon availability and other requests made by other guests. One of the guests in the party requested to checkout at 5PM, in which they would automatically incur a 2nd night charge and that would occur at any hotel, not just ours. In regards to the guest that had to extend their nights stay because we did not allow a late checkout, we could not have sold his room to anyone else because his room would have been occupied for the night he extended even though he did not stay the entire night. Also, the room would have been dirty until our staff came in the next morning to do housekeeping. So, in all, we did not double our revenue for that day. In regards to the statement about the couple breaking up, I would be gladly to follow-up on that, because that would not be allowed to any guest that stayed at our hotel. In regards to the sign in the rooms about the linens, as a hotel, we have the right to place that because unfortunately, their are people in society that do take things or want to purchase the items. If, for some reason, it made you uncomfortable, we do apologize. For many of the issues that were brought up, I agree, there should have been better communication in regards to what is going on and better ways to deal with the issues, but some of the issues deal with hotel policy, which we cannot change for each guest individually.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed 15 April 2012

On April 11 my wife and I stayed at this hotel. After checking in we checked it out on TA. We were shocked at the poor reviews it had received. The reviews were so bad that we definitely would not have stayed there if we had read them.

Fortunately the hotel was much superior than the reviews would lead you to believe. The hotel was neat and clean. Our room also. The staff was attentive, pleasant and helpful. The pool and spa were a treat. The complimentary breakfast was very good.

The main thing that bothered me about this hotel was the poor reviews it got on TA. I am a regular user of TA including its ratings and reviews. Most of the time the reviews are helpful and accurate. I have used them in making lodging and meal reservations in both the US and Europe. On one prior occasion I found a restaurant in Gulf Shores, AL which was top-rated which turned out to be a "greasy spoon"--an obvious use of "false good" reviews i.e. lying.

This is my second experience with what I consider to be false reviews on TA. The reviews which I saw posted on TA on this hotel are what I consider to be "false bad" i.e. lying. The reason someone would do this might be motivated by vendetta or by a competive hotel. Regardless it is unfair and inaccurate.

I am posting this review because I often rely on TA reviews. They are usually extremely accurate and honest. The posting of false reviews is extremely harmful to TA, the business in question, and to me as part of the travelling public.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank hclause

We very much appreciate your kind words toward our staff and hotel. We look forward to seeing you at the Comfort Inn of Bardstown again!

Reviewed 26 January 2012

This was my second stay at a bardstown hotel. This is a smaller Comfort inn ( two floors), and it is sandwiched inbetween other businesses on the road. I was a little apprehensive about how to park my big rig but I was able to back into the lot with ease. The staff was really nice, and placed me at the end of the hall so I could step outside to smoke. Bardstown has a citywide ordinance that bans smoking in all hotels ( not a big deal, I need to quit anyway). The rooms do show some age, but comfortable and a great price. Standard choice breakfast. I would definetely stay again.

Room Tip: Very quiet location, nice lobby.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank cah3295
Reviewed 26 October 2011

this is avery clean and quiet place to stay. Room was clean, bed comfortable, and the bathroom was also clean. Staff was friendly and the breakfast was very nice. There weren't enough tables in the breakfast area,& no elevator. Booked for two nights, one in Nov. & 1 in Dec.

Room Tip: if ou are handicapped get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doubled57ny
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The room was clean and check in was fine. However, I would allow extra time in the morning for breakfast and check out. No one bothered to refill breakfast items until I asked and the woman who was on desk duty spent a good 10 minutes trying to check out the party ahead of me because 1) she did not have her glasses 2) had to ask them to read their credit card numbers to her 3) could not figure out mathematically how to split their bill 4) had no clue how to use the computer system 5) waited until I gave her dirty looks before she asked another employee for help. I certainly hope the owners will take the time to train their employees better.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank RandyV
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We've stayed in Bardstown twice (different hotels) and neither stay was great. This poor, drab hotel is seriously stuck in the 80's. I have no issues with out dated colors or furniture but it needs a good overhaul. Paint is peeling, there were water stains on the wall, etc. Not overly filthy but could use a good cleaning also. We thought the AC wasn't working but you have to tell the front desk to flip a switch on a huge board up front to turn it on. ??? The whole hotel just seemed kind of older and musty smelling. We tried to get a room at the Hampton Inn but they had a suite left that was $185. Seriously? In Bardstown? It had the same drab feeling as Comfort Inn. Anyhow, the room was pretty cheap but there's a reason why. Good luck finding any place in Bardstown that halfway decent. I will say that the front desk clerk was very nice and had a great sense of humor.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank taminator911
Reviewed 11 March 2011

The desk clerk was quite nice when I checked in. After he saw that my sister had to use a cane to walk, he insisted we have a handicap room, although it really wasn't necessary. Or course this meant changing all of the paper work but he did it graciously. Our room was clean, quiet and quite comfortable. Breakfast was very good with a nice variety to choose from.
We had been staying at a Holiday Inn in Tennessee at a much higher rate. This Comfort Inn location was every bit as nice, comfy and pleasant. I highly praise the man behind the desk as he went out of his way to be sure we had everything we needed. (Even if he was Iraqi)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ohio45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
Hampton Inn Bardstown
#2 of 18 in Elizabethtown
Best Western Shepherdsville
Best Western Shepherdsville
#2 of 8 in Shepherdsville

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!