“Spirits of Wickland-Historical "Yes" / Spiritual "No"” 2 of 5 bubbles

Spirits Of Wickland
Indianapolis, Indiana
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Spirits of Wickland-Historical "Yes" / Spiritual "No"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I visited Wickland Estates one evening when we attended the 2013 Kentucky Music Week in Bardstown during week of June 10th.

We appreciate older homes with historical significance. The spirits were an added incentive to attend. We arrived at 8:00 PM as directed. There were no exterior lights and no directional signs telling us which building or door to begin the tour. The only hint was the slightly ajar door on the Wickland Mansion facing the gravelled driveway.

The tour was limited to 40 people and broken into 2 manageable groups of 20. This was an unusually hot day (for June) and the cooling system was unable to keep up--meaning we sat in a very warm area waiting for the tour to begin.

We were given an informational sheet about how the spirit tours were conceived which contained information about the "mediums"; they explained that they would normally talk about those things and provided the pre-printed information in the interest of time.

However, it really wasn't a tour at all.... We had expected to be shown the home and receive some information about the home's signficance but the focus was all on the "mediums"... how they learned they had this gift and that there were some spirits in the home that could be counted on to speak to the "mediums"--Antoine (who resides in the basement) and Walletta (who stays in the kitchen).

Our evening consisted of a group of 20 people sitting in a damp basement for over an hour holding dowsing rods (or divining rods), asking Yes or No questions and the "medium" telling us what she heard or saw... with her mother interpreting.

There were no epiphanies or especially revealing events.... just a group of people who had had a very busy day becoming very tired as the rods were passed around in the group of 20. One guest finally asked to leave due to health problems from dank/mildewed environments. She was sitting on a hard stool in the kitchen when we arrived there.

My husband and I held the dowsing rods. They did move in our hands but no spirits revealed themselves. (I've read a thing or two about dowsing rods and know they have been used to successfully locate water and such.)

We were taken to the kitchen to speak with the other spirit and were invited to ask about her life. One guest asked why the one in the basement could see into the future (we were told to ask about family and events) but the one in the kitchen could not... but that seemed to be the case.

The kitchen sessions continued with more discussion about how special the "mediums" were including accounts of their speaking to spirits on a Civil War battle field (but not evidence or recordings from that) and an attempt to capture spirit voices on a digital recorder which failed because the wall mounted air conditioning unit in the kitchen was exceptionally loud.

I do not begrudge the $15.00 dollars (x 2) spent as it's going toward the upkeep of this important and historical home. I just wish I knew more about the home now than I know about the "medium's" personal lives.

It was dark when we exited the mansion. There was no exterior lighting so we had to make our way to the car in the dark.

This home is definitely worth seeing and preserving. If you go, be prepared to climb stairs into the home, the second floor and the basement. Take a little flashlight with you to leave at night.

Do NOT go in a large group if you want a personal experience. It was really unpleasant sitting in a dank basement while twenty people passed the dowsing rods around for over an hour and hearing the other group tramping on wooden floorboards just inches over our heads.

Cameras are allowed but frankly we didn't get many pictures as we spent the most time in the basement which was poorly lit. The kitchen is small for a house of this size and there is no place to sit... just lean against a counter. We never got to tour the home or see the upstairs at all.

The "mediums" did little to prepare us what they planned to do--just handed rods to surprised guests AND then explained what they were.

These folks seemed to believe what they were doing but it was clearly not a "polished" presentation. They truly spent more time telling the guests about their personal lives and experiences than the Wickland home or the people who had lived there.

Go early to view the house and grounds on your own if you want to learn something about it because the Spirits tour won't tell you much about the house and its history.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Lucretia_Borgia

Gainesville, Florida
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Friday night fun with the spirits at Wickland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Considered one of the best Federal-style houses in KY, a walk through this mansion is topped off with a psychic medium who helps communicate with the spirits of Wickland. Michael Wilhite and Dixie Hibbs led our group through a 90 minute parnormal family-friendly tour. We enjoyed our evening, a real treat!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank AlbertAlberta2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Very interesting experience but not for excitement-seekers.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

I returned to Bardstown and joined my siblings for the evening tour and was pleased to find that THE local historian was part of the mix. It was very low key with lots of time for questions but not for someone looking for fast-paced excitement or cheap thrills. Dixie (the historian) and our medium (one of a set of twins) sat and explained the history of the site and the medium explained how she and her sister had come to their understanding and use of their abilities and experiences. Much like the kid from The Sixth Sense movie, they did not seek (nor are they seeking) a name for themselves in this arena, but rather are glad to be part of a team that uses the local spirits and the historian in tandem to validate the experience of those who lived in the home and who have passed through the area. The best part but slowest time due to each individual getting a turn was using divining rods of sort in the cellar where an agreeable/known spirit chose to answer questions and move the rods in response to questions from some of the participants. None of the three in my party are particularly "believers" but we all came away with the feeling that we had experienced something truly beyond explanation and worth the time spent. Additionally, the modest fee goes to support and maintain the beautiful old home. Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to spend an evening with an open mind.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank comerharris
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“I would go every week if I lived close by”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

I came to this site to see what others say about the Spirit Tour, not planning to review it, but when I saw a negative review, I had to add an endorsement of Wickland on Friday nights - surely one of the best-kept secrets in Kentucky. I've been twice this year, and if I lived near Bardstown, I would go every week that I could. I find it totally fascinating and genuine, and this is from a non-believer. I'm not particularly interested in paranormal stuff; I went on the tour because I have family in the area, we were looking for something to do, and my husband watches a few ghost-hunting shows on TV for fun. I was amazed by how entertaining and believable the tour is. I know it sounds crazy, but we all really think we were communicating with spirits of past residents. The mediums who give the tours are locals, 20-something twin sisters, and they are sweet and genuine. They are incredibly generous to give these tours because while they earn money, yes, it's not much, and it comes at a great personal cost: Evidently they lost a lot of friends in town when they revealed that they are mediums and have endured a lot of nasty comments, to say the least. They will be on TV soon, just wait. Go on the tour while you can, because they won't be working there forever. Probably not much longer.

The site's historian leads the tours and interprets a lot of information that comes through from the spirits. The historian is a former mayor of Bardstown and has published many books. She seems more than credible.

It's not a spooky or creepy experience at all. Kids are welcome; the only risk is that they'll lose patience over 90 minutes or so. We took a 7-year-old, and she liked it.

PM me with questions if you want more information.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank IndyMegan
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“What a waste of time and money!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I don't know if the twins whom are part of this are psychic or not,but I,as well as a couple of others got the feeling that they would have rather been any where but the Wickland mansion.The mansion itself is gorgeous,but nearly empty of any furnishings save for some quilts that were for sale.The night we went the crowd was at near capacity and that may have been the problem.The event was supposed to last from 7:30 until 9PM.We got out of there at 11PM.Dixie Hibbs is a very nice and knowledgable lady,but she couldn't save this train wreck.
I'll definately be going back to Bardstown but this won't be on my list of revisits.

Visited October 2012