“Well worth the money and time”

The Stephen Foster Story
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Stephen Foster Story is a broadway-style show about the life of America's first composer, Stephen Collins Foster. The performance takes place in My Old Kentucky Home State Park at the J. Dan Talbot Amphitheatre. The grounds on which the theatre lies once belonged to the Rowan family, who were cousins of Stephen Foster, and is home to Federal Hill, the plantation house that inspired the state song. Some of Foster's biggest hits such as Oh Susannah, Camptown Races, Suwannee River, & My Old Kentucky Home help to tell the tale of his struggle to become the first true composer this country knows, and also to find love among the hardships.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

A must see for all ages. Always a joy to see all the performances at the theatre. All seats are good, just all around good family entertainment.

7  Thank Gail T
There are newer reviews for The Stephen Foster Story

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is a "must see" if you are visiting the area! The show is great and the music is delightful! It is a unique experience to attend an outdoor amphitheater. If you visit on the 4th of July there is a great fireworks show after the performance. Concessions, souvenirs, and clean restrooms. Fun for all ages. Highly recommend.

6  Thank Dawn H
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I once lived in Bardstown and saw the first show years ago. Everytime I return for a visit I enjoy it again. The last time was with 21 people and we all loved the show. We had perfect seats and the night was beautiful. It seems the story line has changed somewhat through the years but the excellent music and acting is still tops in the outodoor theatre arena. I have seen all of Paul Greens dramas. This is one of the best. Spend the night and see this play if possible. You will not be sorry!

4  Thank Pettitt5
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great musicians making great music. I really enjoyed the musical for entertainment. I was surprised, however, to discover later when I went to the park that the play had taken great license with the true story of Steven Foster. There is actually great doubt that he ever even traveled to Kentucky, but it has been making a great business for Bardstown for a long time. The folks there wear it very well, too.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Performance was good, although the story line seems different than I recall. My entire family thought the sound was terrible, real lack of volume, we had to strain to hear every word. I didnt enjoy parts of the story line as I said, it seemed different. The costumes and back drops were good. Dancing and singing were good. Overall, I would probably not pay the money to see this outdoor performance again, it just lacks from the many I have seen over the years elsewhere.

1  Thank SeeJaneTravelOn