“A must see!”

The Stephen Foster Story
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Stephen Foster Story is a broadway-style show about the life of America's first composer, Stephen Collins Foster. The performance takes place in My Old Kentucky Home State Park at the J. Dan Talbot Amphitheatre. The grounds on which the theatre lies once belonged to the Rowan family, who were cousins of Stephen Foster, and is home to Federal Hill, the plantation house that inspired the state song. Some of Foster's biggest hits such as Oh Susannah, Camptown Races, Suwannee River, & My Old Kentucky Home help to tell the tale of his struggle to become the first true composer this country knows, and also to find love among the hardships.
Reviewed 7 August 2009

This is my second visit to see the musical. My first visit was when I was 11 y/o - 20+ years later, it is still as grand as I remember! I was lucky enough to have front row center seats for the July 31 performance it was awesome! My 2 y/o son went with us and while there were moments he was "extra" curious or noisy - he never disturbed the cast and he danced and "sang" along. He was totally fascinated in the production and the costumes.

2  Thank TravelingMom71
There are newer reviews for The Stephen Foster Story

Reviewed 1 August 2009

From the beautiful ampitheatre carved into a picturesquel hillside, to the elaborate period costumes worn by the performersyou will be mesmorized by the professsional singing and acting in this musical.
For over 50 years the town of Bardstown has played host to Stephen Foster the Musical and you can sense a pride in the town for the acclaim it has brought the city.
The entire cast, many of whom are locals and have been in the production for years, are first rate. The leads have wonderful voices to compliment the Stephen Foster classics.
The show only runs in the summer months so when planning your trip check with the box office for times and date's. Do not miss your chance to go back in time for a very reasonable admission.

1  Thank osujohn
Reviewed 17 July 2007

The outdoor drams of Stephen Foster is excellent and very professional. We have seen this show 3-4 times and this year we saw the show Big River for a change. It was also a very good show with great acting and singing. It was top notch and I will go back.

Reviewed 13 March 2006

My family saw this in July 2005. The evening play is in an outdoor theater, and the weather was very pleasant for us, but I know the actors must have been sweltering! My older kids (ages 6-12) enjoyed it, as did my husband and I. (The four year old fell asleep.) It was well done and entertaining, with lots of singing and dancing. The costumes were beautiful. I would recommend seeing it once, but we probably wouldn't try to see it again.

3  Thank sandymom01
Reviewed 12 July 2004

This musical was great. We went on the 4th of July and were treated to Birthday cake and fireworks. The play was enjoyed by all of us. Discount tickets thru AAA but full price is cheap for such a great performance.

6  Thank Contrips