“CAMPERS BEWARE OWNER IS A GROUCH!”

White Acres Campground
“CAMPERS BEWARE OWNER IS A GROUCH!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Possibly hidden cameras, owner approached our party of several people that had rented 4 campsites from him during a recent state ball tournament. He said that 6 people had showered in the bathhouse and used up all his hotwater. We paid for every person that stayed with our party. I don't know how he would know regardless unless he was watching inside or outside this is scary. Then had the nerve to come by the campsites where we were having a cookout for July 4th for the team and want to charge us 5.00 a person for having people over to eat our own food that was visiting for a few hours. Complained that the kids were riding bicycles in the campground. This is an old farm that someone has put some gravel roads in and a few campsites and sewer. There are no swimming pools or any amenities to be a big draw for this place. We were wondering why they were no locals and the place o[en over the 4th of July, now we know why. This place is not kid friendly and if you're not over 85 as he appears please Beware!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Donna C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We attempted to stay at this campground during a recent outting while sight seeing in Bardstown and touring some of the local distilleries.

We called 3 months in advance to make a reservation and I personally spoke with the owner who took my name and all the pertinent information about our motor home. I asked if she wanted my credit card for a deposit and she said that wasn't their policy. I then asked to have a confirmation mailed or emailed to me and she again said that wasn't their policy. So here I am NERVOUS with what just happened but she assured me this is how they have operated and they have "never" had an issue.

Fast forward a few months. We are traveling up from Gatlinburg and arrive at this campground around 5:30pm only to be met by a gentleman that said he was the campground manager. He immediately sees my 40' motor home and says "let me show you what I have and you decide if you want it!". My fears are immediately confirmed and I haven't even seen the site.

He takes me to a site that is so unlevel front to back and is about a 20 degree incline. I tell him that there is no way I would be able to level a 40' motor home on that site.

He responds by telling me that they have a large group of campers that EXTENDED their stay. To which I say well I called and made a reservation that you are now NOT honoring. I explained to this person that I've camped for nearly a decade and the only time I am allowed to EXTEND is if 1) the site is available for when I want it since most camp ground reservations would tell the owner that and 2) if my site wasn't availlable I was willing to MOVE to another OPEN site!

Neither of these two conditions were apparently even a consideration for this "large" group that extended and basically shut me out of my reservation.

This place is very unprofessional to have people travel to their camp ground only to be met by this type of response. Why make a reservation in the first place? Why not run the camp ground on a first come first served basis so everyone KNOWS that it is a possibility that you may or may not get a site? But to take my reservation and then be told that you have no site at 5:30pm and have to now SCRAMBLE is unexceptable behavior!!!

There is another camp ground in Bardstown...go there...I cannot refer anyone to this camp ground because of this experience. And for the record...we met another camper at one of the nearby attractions that had the SAME thing happen to them and the same unlevel site was offered to them because of this "large" group extending...run away from this place and you will be better off!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank crappie_fisherman

Travellers are raving about these Bardstown hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
Hampton Inn Bardstown
Sleep Inn & Suites Shepherdsville
Best Western Shepherdsville
Best Western Shepherdsville
#2 of 9 in Shepherdsville

Been to White Acres Campground? Share your experiences!